Mountain Biker Admits He Doesn't See Wildlife When Biking

Old June 15th 08, 06:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Biker Admits He Doesn't See Wildlife When Biking

Notice that even though the birds gave a clear signal that they
weren't welcome, they are even recommending that their friends also go
there!

Mike

Sat, 14 Jun 2008:
From: "Steve Pelton"
Subject: Grand Ridge Aviary

Grandma was watching the kiddies so my wife and I hiked Grand Ridge
from the
Duthie side. As we got to the top of the first hill and went around a
noticeable log roller we spotted a large grey owl about 30' ahead in a
low
tree. It was staring us down big time which is when we heard the
hissing
noises from to our left where there was another owl. Then we heard
what
sounded like more hissing to the right so we decided to move on.

Went to the top of the second hill ( 1 hour total), returned to the
aviary
and there they were again. Only this time all three were in the same
tree
within 10' feet of each other - it was cool and they were big. Then we
saw
a fourth flying to our right. We took some bad pictures with my phone
and
moved on. But they started following us; swooping through the trees.
We
rounded a corner and heard the hissing. We spotted one directly above
us
puffing its feathers. Then the other three joined and continued the
assault.

It was one of the wildest nature encounters I've had; like an
interactive
zoo. My guess is they are guarding chicks and will be there for
awhile.
Keep your eyes open and you might catch them. It's between the first
dirt-bridge and the only real log roller; well before the bog with the
4x6
crossing, about 30min hike/20min bike. If you know/are a good
photographer,
might be a good opportunity.

Funny thing is I probably would never have noticed on my bike. Happy
Father's/Flag day!

Steve

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 15th 08, 04:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

I don't know what he's looking at, I see all of the wildlife as I drive
through remote backcountry areas in my Jeep. I'm constantly looking all
around, I'd guess that I might look around far more than I look at trail
ahead. To be sure, there is far more stuff to see off the trail than on.

The irony in your post, Mike, is that the person telling the story of his
adventure was actually HIKING when he exprienced one of the most memorial
events of his life.

PS
I once worked in a building that had a pair of hawks raising a nest of
chicks on the building next door. They would circle the parking lot. The
point is, transient humans in any form, are not a threat to birds. Other
birds are a much bigger problem.

From: "Steve Pelton"

[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old June 17th 08, 02:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:43:14 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

I don't know what he's looking at, I see all of the wildlife as I drive
through remote backcountry areas in my Jeep. I'm constantly looking all
around,

So you admit that you are a hazard to other drivers, pedestrians, and
wildlife. Why should anyone listen to you?????

I'd guess that I might look around far more than I look at trail
ahead. To be sure, there is far more stuff to see off the trail than on.

The irony in your post, Mike, is that the person telling the story of his
adventure was actually HIKING when he exprienced one of the most memorial
events of his life.

He is a mountain biker, so these attitudes represent mountain bikers.
And people stoopid enouth to drive a Jeep.

PS
I once worked in a building that had a pair of hawks raising a nest of
chicks on the building next door. They would circle the parking lot. The
point is, transient humans in any form, are not a threat to birds. Other
birds are a much bigger problem.

.. .

Old June 17th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ryan Robbins

wrote:

I don't know what he's looking at, I see all of the wildlife as I drive
through remote backcountry areas in my Jeep. I'm constantly looking all
around,

So you admit that you are a hazard to other drivers, pedestrians, and
wildlife. Why should anyone listen to you?????

Good drivers are always aware of their surroundings. Bad drivers tend to
have tunnel vision and miss wayward kids on skateboards or bicycles, people
running stop signs, and other drivers tailgating.

Old June 17th 08, 09:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

I don't know what he's looking at, I see all of the wildlife as I drive
through remote backcountry areas in my Jeep. I'm constantly looking all
around,

So you admit that you are a hazard to other drivers, pedestrians, and
wildlife. Why should anyone listen to you?????

No, I would suggest that I am less of a hazard than you are. I never ever
advocate stringing piano wire across a trail, like you have done. I guess it
doesn't really matter though, nobody listens to you -- except for your
whack-job peers that supposedly contribute to your inane Website.

Old June 17th 08, 10:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

I don't know what he's looking at, I see all of the wildlife as I drive
through remote backcountry areas in my Jeep. I'm constantly looking all
around,

So you admit that you are a hazard to other drivers, pedestrians, and
wildlife. Why should anyone listen to you?????

Good drivers are always aware of their surroundings. Bad drivers tend to
have tunnel vision and miss wayward kids on skateboards or bicycles,
people running stop signs, and other drivers tailgating.

It stops being backcountry when one has to watch for that sort of stuff. The
ability to spot an eagle or a big horn sheep does tend to exercise the
qualities needed to see kids on a skateboard though ...

Old June 18th 08, 01:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

I don't know what he's looking at, I see all of the wildlife as I drive
through remote backcountry areas in my Jeep. I'm constantly looking all
around,

So you admit that you are a hazard to other drivers, pedestrians, and
wildlife. Why should anyone listen to you?????

No, I would suggest that I am less of a hazard than you are. I never ever
advocate stringing piano wire across a trail, like you have done.

BS. You are an incorrigible LIAR, like all mountain bikers.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 18th 08, 01:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

Default Wild game recipes?

Anyone have any wild game recipes they want to share?
Old June 18th 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
the Moderator

"Siskuwihane" wrote in message
Anyone have any wild game recipes they want to share?

LOL, I have several, but you left out the vegan newsgroup :-)

Old June 19th 08, 12:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wayne[_2_]

"Siskuwihane" wrote in message
Anyone have any wild game recipes they want to share?

The old Texas recipe for armadillo, perhaps?
1. Soak a pine board in pineapple juice for 2 hours
2. Nail the armadillo to the board
3. Stand the board next to a campfire for 1 hour
4. Remove the armadillo, and eat the board.