Who wants broken helmets?

Old October 5th 03, 08:15 PM
Eatmorepies

Default Who wants broken helmets?

A friend of mine fell off recently and banged his head - no damage to him
but the polystyrene shell of his helmet broke. I have a vague memory that
some research organisation wanted damaged helmets.

Any knowledge?

John

Old October 5th 03, 08:24 PM
Danny Colyer

Eatmorepies wrote:
A friend of mine fell off recently and banged his head - no damage to
him but the polystyrene shell of his helmet broke. I have a vague
memory that some research organisation wanted damaged helmets.

If it's less than 3 years old and a decent make then the manufacturer
would probably be interested, and may well offer a discount on a
replacement. Giro certainly do this, and I believe a few other
manufacturers do as well.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/

Old October 6th 03, 08:39 AM
Steve

Eatmorepies wrote in message ...
A friend of mine fell off recently and banged his head.
No damage to him but the polystyrene shell of his helmet broke.

Well at least this shows the doubters that helmets ARE of benefit, as the
cracking of the shell was created as a result of the energy dissipation of
the impact. Rather crack a helmet than cracking his head!

Old October 6th 03, 09:08 AM
Huw Pritchard

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:15:14 +0100, Eatmorepies did issue forth:

A friend of mine fell off recently and banged his head - no damage to him
but the polystyrene shell of his helmet broke. I have a vague memory that
some research organisation wanted damaged helmets.

Don't know about donating it to anyone, but when I cracked a helmet, it
lived on as a rather fetching fruit bowl.

Huw

Old October 6th 03, 09:15 AM
marc

Steve wrote:

A friend of mine fell off recently and banged his head.
No damage to him but the polystyrene shell of his helmet broke.

Well at least this shows the doubters that helmets ARE of benefit, as the
cracking of the shell was created as a result of the energy dissipation of
the impact.

Errr. No, if the energy had dissipated then there woudn't have a cranked
helmet but a flattened one.

Rather crack a helmet than cracking his head!

You are making the common mistake of looking at the outcome to the
helmet and transferring that to the head.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk

Old October 6th 03, 09:39 AM
Chris Gerhard

Steve wrote:
Eatmorepies wrote in message ...

A friend of mine fell off recently and banged his head.
No damage to him but the polystyrene shell of his helmet broke.

Well at least this shows the doubters that helmets ARE of benefit, as the
cracking of the shell was created as a result of the energy dissipation of
the impact. Rather crack a helmet than cracking his head!

Only if the friend can go and fall off in exactly the same way without the
helmet and show there was an injury.

If I cycle with an egg on my head and fall off and the egg breaks does that
shoe that eggs ARE of benefit?

You have to look at large population studies to show benefit. I've yet to
see one that does.

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.