Tilium Revisted....zipp? velomax?

Old September 27th 04, 08:28 AM
Etong41561

Default Tilium Revisted....zipp? velomax?

Like a poster who asked earlier this year (Feb ) I too am interested in
Tiliums, but read all the mixed reviews mostly negatives on road bike review.

The response to his inquiry was why do you want a wheelset knowing all the
negatives when so many other good ones are available.

I've seen the cut-away sections of a tilium rim and a zipp side by side. The
tilium really is much nicer. Nice=uniform wall thickness and the extra layers
of carbon at the spoke bed

I've checked out cosmic carbone clinchers. I bet I could eventually glue some
black plastic on a set of open pros and have them look cool.

I can't find any other deep dish wheels (+40mm) in the 800-1000 buck range.
Not to mention very many true deep dish wheels in clincher rim period at any
price.

The zipp 303 and zipp 404 in clincher form have very low ratings too on road
bike review. The sew up incarnation fared much better.

Any truth that the early production run bugs have been worked out on tiliums?
I've talked to one tilium owner and he's quite pleased with them.

Maybe for people who really want reliable areo should just go sew up? Any
opinions on Velomax Tempest 2 (the sew up version with a 50mm rim. No ones
posted any reviews for the van.

any help appreciated,
Ernie

Old September 27th 04, 07:04 PM
psycholist

"Etong41561" wrote in message

[...]

Wondering why you haven't considered the HED Alps. You can find them new
for around $850. I bought a used set a few months back and have been VERY
pleased with them.

As for Velomax, are they still doing the straight spoke thing, threaded at
both ends? I have a set of Javelins. They're forerunners of the Tempest.
Broke a spoke once and it was a huge pain in the ass to get it fixed. Also
had some hub problems and Velomax wouldn't let my LBS (who sold me the
wheels and who attended a Velomax training course at some trade show) touch
them. I had to ship them off and do without for several weeks. Aside from
that, they were pretty sweet wheels and it's been my experience that all
wheel manufacturers have one quirk or another. My Javelins are probably 5
or 6 years old. Not up on their latest products at all.

Bob C.

Old September 28th 04, 11:13 AM
Scale

The zipp 303 and zipp 404 in clincher form have very low ratings too on road
bike review. The sew up incarnation fared much better.

I bought a pair of Zipp 404 clincher in april even though I had read the
reviews on Road Bike Review. Most of the reviews are old and Zipp has
made some significant changes to their wheels since the reviews. I've
been very pleased with the wheels, the smooth ride and nice aerodynamics
and havn't had any problems. I used to ride a pair of Gipiemme Tecno 416
(aluminum, 30mm aero wheels) and the Zipps are much lighter, more aero
and ride much smoother.

/Scale