question about tubulars

Old October 25th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Default question about tubulars

On Oct 25, 6:04 am, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

How many riders need to lose that 1.6kg off their arse istead of
fretting and whining about rolling resistence and 5 watts at 50 kph(30
miles per hour, see that a lot don't we?)

It's all lost in the noise when anybody talks about any significant
advantages or disadvantages in the bicycle. If you want to improve
performance, focus on the rider in terms of fitness, bike fit, rider
fat and riding finesse. The bicycle is only the 'vehicle' to cycling
performance, the means to the end. BUT today, buy speed, don't train
and make the 'engine' better....

Ideally, I'd agree. But early in the season this year I bought a set of 36
spoke wheels to train on, with the "what doesn't kill you makes you
stronger" mentality. I used them, but I found myself slipping back to a set
of 28 spoke wheels that I felt a little faster on and because of some other
convenience factors. I knew this was "buying speed" and felt a certain sense
of guilt or cheating (if no one but myself), but the pleasure of being able
to go just that small bit faster made me want to ride and train that much
more. I was more excited about the upcoming training with the 28s than I was
with the 36s. Having transitioned from a full time rider to an after work,
squeeze it in when you can rider, for me that is an appreciable reason (if
not justifiable) to "buy speed". And yes, I still need to lose that 1.6 kg
off my arse.

Carl,

Try this: put the 36's on, but tell yourself they're the 28's. It's
all in your head anyway, so why not just tell yourself that the
heavier wheels are plenty fast enough. You'll still want to train AND
you'll get more out of it.

Old October 25th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
om...
Howard Kveck wrote:
I fixed it in front of your Cupertino store - thanks for the air!

Tom Sherman wrote:
Mike J. owns the air in front of his stores?

Howard Kveck wrote:
He's a business titan, let me tell you.

Lucky he's not from Seattle or he'd try to patent the air.

There was a thread here a while back about a shop in Paris that did, in
fact, charge 1.5 euro (about $2) for air, if you didn't buy the bike there.
Yikes!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 25th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

* "Mike Jacoubowsky" a écrit profondement:

| "Donald Munro" wrote in message
| om...
| Howard Kveck wrote:
| I fixed it in front of your Cupertino store - thanks for the air!
|
| Tom Sherman wrote:
| Mike J. owns the air in front of his stores?
|
| Howard Kveck wrote:
| He's a business titan, let me tell you.
|
| Lucky he's not from Seattle or he'd try to patent the air.
|
| There was a thread here a while back about a shop in Paris that did, in
| fact, charge 1.5 euro (about $2) for air, if you didn't buy the bike there.
| Yikes!

That doesn't surprise me

Just about the only things free in Kafkaesque SarkozyReich are
Dog**** and Cockroaches

--
RON PAUL
* He has never voted to raise taxes.
Old October 25th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Diablo Scott

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
On Oct 22, 4:45 pm, "KV" wrote:
I'm new to tubulars and have a question about carrying a spare-is it
necessary to preglue the spare, and if so, how is it best to carry it?

Yes and just fold it up. I am sure there is a diagram somewhere..hold
end of tubies, turn each siude 90 degrees and fold..hard to describe,
easy if you see it..then secure with as toe strap under your saddle.

Wow, I've been waiting for months for someone to ask - my photo sequence
of my preferred spare tubie folding technique:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DiabloSc...ngATubularTire

Old October 25th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides

"KV" wrote in message
I'm new to tubulars and have a question about carrying a spare-is it
necessary to preglue the spare, and if so, how is it best to carry it?
Or, can you put the spare on using the residual glue on the rim-would
this allow you to continue with the ride/race, or are you pretty much
done and have to limp back? Any pointers/opinions appreciated.

Given that you didn't ask about the value or lack thereof of tubulars
and got that debate, anyway, I'll try to answer your question without
the debate.

Yes, carry a spare.

Yes, your spare should be pre-glued. Best if you ride one a bit, take
it off, and use it as your spare. If you repair your tubulars, one of
those is perfect as a spare. (I used to use a place called Tire Alert
to repair mine in batches, but I've ridden little enough and have enough
spares that I haven't had to use them lately.) If your spare is _not_
preglued, you'll still get a little adhesion but not much, and you'd be
best to take it easy when braking and cornering. (Yes, I've done this,
but only on a training ride, yes the tire rolled some but not enough to
hurt me or it.)

I always folded mine up and stuck it at the back of my saddle, sitting
mostly between the rails and sticking out the back some, held in place
with an old toe strap and usually a rubber band or another toe strap to
help keep the tire folded.

A previously glued spare ought to hold pretty well, let's say almost but
not quite as good as a freshly glued tire.

Hope that helps.

Oh, rec.bicycles.tech would be a good place to ask this one, IMHO, so
I'll add it to your list.

-S-

Old October 25th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

Steve Freides writes:

I'm new to tubulars and have a question about carrying a spare-is
it necessary to pre-glue the spare, and if so, how is it best to
carry it? Or, can you put the spare on using the residual glue on
[...]

Carefully packaging that spare is important because jiggling under the
saddle can wear through the sidewall and furnish a blowout in waiting.
After folding the tire in fours, tightly wrap it in a brown paper bag
and secure it with a foot strap under th saddle so it cannot wobble.

A previously glued spare ought to hold pretty well, let's say almost
but not quite as good as a freshly glued tire.

If you ride tubulars, you will soon have enough spares and these
should all have been well glued, meaning they retain about half the
rim glue which is enough to make a well glued tire when changed.

Hope that helps.

Oh, rec.bicycles.tech would be a good place to ask this one, IMHO,
so I'll add it to your list.

You might look at:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-folding.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/snakebites.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-fables.html

Jobst Brandt
Old October 25th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Scott" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Far easier said than done, no?

BTW, did you do a crit next to the Superdrome in Frisco back on Memorial Day
weekend? I meant to come over and say hi.

Old October 25th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Oct 25, 12:37 pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
Carl,

Try this: put the 36's on, but tell yourself they're the 28's. It's
all in your head anyway, so why not just tell yourself that the
heavier wheels are plenty fast enough. You'll still want to train AND
you'll get more out of it.

Far easier said than done, no?

Races are sometimes won or lost by an inch. In a pure objective
sense, what does it take to make an inch of difference? (I am not
talking about creams and potions available on the internet.)

Old October 25th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
Races are sometimes won or lost by an inch. In a pure objective
sense, what does it take to make an inch of difference? (I am not
talking about creams and potions available on the internet.)

Those creams and potions really mess up the taste of doughnuts.

question about tubulars KV General 91 October 29th 07 11:32 PM
FS: Continental tubulars NOS RJ Peterson Marketplace 0 November 15th 05 02:29 PM
FS: Used Miscellaneous Tubulars $25 Allen Thompson Marketplace 0 August 6th 05 02:17 PM
Tubulars: To age or not to age dale b Techniques 6 June 20th 05 01:58 PM
FS: 650c Tubulars Trackie Marketplace 0 September 17th 04 10:18 PM