Tubulars: To age or not to age

Old June 17th 05, 10:14 PM
dale b

Default Tubulars: To age or not to age

I know this has been hottly debated in the past, but on an episode
entitled "Chasing Lance" on FitTV this week Julien DeVriese, Discovery
Team's chief mechanic said that he ages all the tubulars the team uses.
I don't recall the reason -- I only had the tube on for background
noise at the time -- I thought he said something about releasing oils
in the rubber. Also, I think he said something about aging for a year
before use.
Sorry, I don't remeber exactly. Maybe someone who saw the show can
correct me.

dale b

Old June 17th 05, 10:24 PM
Zog The Undeniable

dale b wrote:
I know this has been hottly debated in the past, but on an episode
entitled "Chasing Lance" on FitTV this week Julien DeVriese, Discovery
Team's chief mechanic said that he ages all the tubulars the team uses.
I don't recall the reason -- I only had the tube on for background
noise at the time -- I thought he said something about releasing oils
in the rubber. Also, I think he said something about aging for a year
before use.
Sorry, I don't remeber exactly. Maybe someone who saw the show can
correct me.

Oh, Jobst is going to love this one ;-)

Apparently they mature best if aged in a darkened room, on a rim at half
pressure. I think this came about because Dugast et al want their
products to be considered like fine champagne...
Old June 18th 05, 02:37 AM
jim beam

dale b wrote:
I know this has been hottly debated in the past, but on an episode
entitled "Chasing Lance" on FitTV this week Julien DeVriese, Discovery
Team's chief mechanic said that he ages all the tubulars the team uses.
I don't recall the reason -- I only had the tube on for background
noise at the time -- I thought he said something about releasing oils
in the rubber. Also, I think he said something about aging for a year
before use.
Sorry, I don't remeber exactly. Maybe someone who saw the show can
correct me.

dale b

in terms of absolute speed, age. rubber continues to polymerize over
time and therefore hardens. harder = less hysteresis loss.

in terms of grip, use immediately. opposite logic applies.

Old June 18th 05, 02:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dale b wrote:
I know this has been hottly debated in the past, but on an episode
entitled "Chasing Lance" on FitTV this week Julien DeVriese, Discovery
Team's chief mechanic said that he ages all the tubulars the team uses.
I don't recall the reason -- I only had the tube on for background
noise at the time -- I thought he said something about releasing oils
in the rubber. Also, I think he said something about aging for a year
before use.
Sorry, I don't remeber exactly. Maybe someone who saw the show can
correct me.

dale b

Teehee...I won't even jump into this one.

Old June 18th 05, 05:20 PM

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-fables.html

Old June 20th 05, 01:58 PM
David Damerell

Quoting dale b :
I know this has been hottly debated in the past, but on an episode
entitled "Chasing Lance" on FitTV this week Julien DeVriese, Discovery
Team's chief mechanic said that he ages all the tubulars the team uses.
I don't recall the reason

He's paid by the hour?
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!