warm waterproof gloves.

Old October 26th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Callistus Valerius

Default warm waterproof gloves.

What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best, for
waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any experiences, because
I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy
answer. My price limit is around $60.

Old October 26th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Callistus Valerius" wrote:

What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that
arn't so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best,
for waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any
experiences, because I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there
doesn't seem to be an easy answer. My price limit is around $60.

Hmmm. I don't know offhand (no pun intended) whether the Pearl Izumi
Lobster Claws come in a waterproof version, but I have found them very
useful for cold weather cycling. Thick enough to be warm down into the
20s F but still allowing enough dexterity for braking, shifting, etc.

An option might be whatever warm glove you like, and a pair of Outdoor
Research's Rain Claws to go over them as needed. You'll pretty much
have to mail order them, I haven't been able to find them at any of the
local outdoor equipment stores or REI. Using the Rain Claws will reduce
the issue with sweaty hands and wet insulation on dry days, which you
will have with any waterproof glove.
Old October 26th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Callistus Valerius wrote:
What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best, for
waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any experiences, because
I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy
answer. My price limit is around $60.

Riding in rain I use my neoprene paddle gloves - Hiko Amara, to be
specific (google for detailed information). They are warm enough and
are quite comfortable.

Holger

Old October 26th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Callistus Valerius wrote:
What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best, for
waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any experiences, because
I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy
answer. My price limit is around $60.

There's a glove here in Victoria BC marketed to kayakers and fishermen
as waterproof and breathable called sealskinz . Has a knit look with a
grippy palm. Comfortable when I tried them in the store, but haven't
bought 'em yet. They sell for about $60-70. This looks the one I want
for cold wet weather.
http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/KJ751||~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|19|
Just deciding if I can afford the hit.

Old October 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dankap

Here in NH, I have to layer up pretty seriously in order to ride in the
off months. My winter gloves are actually my motorcycle gloves, which
are made by HJC & can be found at most motorcycle shops. They have a
thin enough palm to allow for braking & shifting, but are warm at any
speed (I've tested them over 100mph on the motorbike) and totally
waterproof. I paid $60 for them at a local shop last winter, I'm sure
they could be had online for less. The bonus is that when I fall on
the ice, they provide great protection, as they're intended for
motorcycles.

If you're looking for a less intense solution, I used to ride with a
guy who swears by his waterproof over-glove deals. I have heard him
complain of being wet and cold when I was warm and dry, however.

I carry my neoprene under-helmet full-face mask over to the pedal bike
in the real bad weather as well. I may look a little silly, but I ride
all year and stay warm doing it.

Old October 26th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Callistus Valerius:
What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best, for
waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any experiences, because
I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy
answer. My price limit is around $60.

Try dishwashing gloves. They're really cheap and you *might* find them
acceptable. I use them occasionally for cold-water windsurfing. Beeeeeeg
diff from bare hands and they're thin enough not to interfere with one's grip
too much.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 27th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Callistus Valerius wrote:
What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best, for
waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any experiences, because
I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy
answer. My price limit is around $60.

I live where winter temps tend to hover a few degrees above freezing with
lots of rain. I have tried all sorts of gloves that claim to be
waterproof + warm. The gloves I have tried that worked best tended to
give me a rash!

I have found that a simple pair of wool gloves works well, with a pair of
fingerless leather-palmed gloves over top for grip. No they are not
waterproof but one of wool's best qualities is its ability to continue to
insulate even when wet. They work well for me all winter long, and no rash!

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old October 27th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best, for
waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any experiences,
because
I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be an easy
answer. My price limit is around $60.

Descente Wombats. Incredibly impressive on my ride over Sonora Pass a couple
weeks ago, when it dropped to 30 degrees and snowed. And then later hail,
sleet & rain. The Wombat has an extra flap that you can pull out and put
over your fingers for added protection from wind. Cost about $45. Oh wait,
there's more... they're also quite flexible, enough so that, if you don't
have the flap over the fingers, you can still take photos with your camera.
Highly recommended.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

.net...

Old October 27th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:12:34 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that arn't
so thick that you can use for cycling.

Really waterproof? Get neoprene paddling gloves.
--
JT
****************************
Old October 27th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:56:33 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:
In article ,
"Callistus Valerius" wrote:

What a quandry, where do you get some warm waterproof gloves that
arn't so thick that you can use for cycling. Is Gore-Tex the best,
for waterproof? And what is the best for insulation? Any
experiences, because I've surfed the web quite a bit, and there
doesn't seem to be an easy answer. My price limit is around $60.

Hmmm. I don't know offhand (no pun intended) whether the Pearl Izumi
Lobster Claws come in a waterproof version, but I have found them very
useful for cold weather cycling. Thick enough to be warm down into the
20s F but still allowing enough dexterity for braking, shifting, etc.

IIRC the PI lobsters have at least a water resistant shell. I know
I've relegated mine to use only when it's below 25 (F) because my
hands sweat too much over that, and it takes longer than an 8-9 hour
work day to dry out. (To be complete, I should note it takes longer
than overnight, too.)

Pat

Email address works as is.

more new gloves andy gee General 10 February 24th 06 10:50 PM
Gloves for trials-all the time? teachndad Unicycling 9 December 12th 05 06:51 PM
Product comparison - SealSkinz gloves Danny Colyer UK 1 November 21st 05 08:55 AM
First review of my Electric Gloves dgk General 2 December 2nd 04 08:07 PM
Nobody uses electric gloves? dgk General 18 November 16th 04 01:09 AM