Need ideas for 36" tire tread

Old March 16th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

Default Need ideas for 36" tire tread

unisk8r wrote:
Around 50 sounds good. I know the Nightrider is rated to 65psi, but what
do folks think about that? I have only briefly inflated a coker tire to
that pressure, and it is too hard for my liking. The idea of a tubular
tire would make for less rolling resistance at 30-50psi. Thus
maintaining some semblance of tire suspension effect.

hence maybe I just get a 4mm thick piece of rubber and cut a loop to
shape.

Since the big goal here is to make a light tire, the best
combination would be a very thin tread layer and very high pressure.
If the Coker tire you briefly inflated to 65 psi felt too hard it's
probably because the tread is very thick. I would imagine it's around
5 or 6 mm. It would feel like you're riding a truck tire. I like to
keep my tire pumped up to at least 80 psi. When it gets down to 60 or
70 it starts to feel soft, a little slow to turn and vulnerable to
bumps.
If you thin out the tread to 2 mm and add that to the casing which
is probably less than 1 mm then the tire becomes suitably light. It
also is much more pliable than a thicker tire. Not only will this very
thin tire need high pressure to maintain its support but it will feel
great precisely because it is so pliable.
I just took my callipers and measured a new Continental Contact
tire 28 X 1 1/4 X 1 3/4. (It's my preferred tire right now.) Its total
thickness came in under 3 mm. So if you were to glue a 4 mm tread to a
casing that would put the tire thickness up at about 5 mm which would
translate to a needlessly heavy tire.
The tires on that link you gave us can be inflated up above 100
psi. Now those are fast and light tires! I'll bet they're less than 2
mm thick.
What are they using in their casing? Given the option, I'd
recommend getting a layer of kevlar in there. I wore my last two tires
down to the threads without getting any flats.
A light tire is so much more responsive in accellerating and
turning. I always find riding one of those fat tires to be really
sluggish and cumbersome. Yes, they're perfect for Muni and Trials but
if you want to cover some distance then we'll need to keep developing
skinnier tires.
Even though sew ups give me the heebie jeebies, they are apealing if
the alternative is a 1900 gram lunk run at 50 psi.
Thanks for putting in the work on product development. This is how
great ideas become standard production models.

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 16th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

naturequack wrote:
Not only will this very thin tire need high pressure to maintain its
support

Yes, I think that you're looking at high pressure, and a thin tire. An
Airfoil-width tubular at 50 psi would be a mushy nightmare, I imagine.

--
U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 17th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Greatly appreciate the input, you guys are on the right path here. I
agree the harshness of a higher pressure would be offset with the
suppleness of a thinner tread. So maybe I shoot for 2mm thick tread?

Problem is still finding a continuous loop with a 113" circumference.
Further thoughts?

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 17th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

Why not use a rubber rim strip? Or are they too soft..

The biggest problem I see with a flat piece of rubber is that without
all that little detailing, which I guess is tread, that you see on
bmx/road tires, turning will suck. But having a working prototype would
be enough, I agree.

sew up 36 tires sound cool. Especially so if having to carry a spare
meant only as much as a 29er tube weighs now anyways. I tend to ride my
coker at 60psi or so when doing long distance, I hate the mushy feel
when I'm riding up hills, so I could see myself having 80+ on a 'pure
road' unicycle, especially with thin tread.

--
flyer
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 19th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

unisk8r wrote:
So maybe I shoot for 2mm thick tread?

Problem is still finding a continuous loop with a 113" circumference.
Further thoughts?

2 mm sounds perfect to me. About the only source that I can think of
is cutting apart an innertube. You'd gett a nice thin rubber strip
that is already curved to fit the casing.
Of course it's too soft and would wear out in about 5 miles, but this
is a prototype after all.

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 19th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I still can't see why you cant just use a flat strip of rubber which
could just be butted up to itself in the vulcanizing process.

I am sure that these tires would be expensive if they ever become a
production item. Could you repeatedly get your tire re-treaded when
they wear out? Or would they be done once the tread is worn through?

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 20th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclist.ca

Wouldnt it be a 34" tubular? if the tire is going to be the width of the
rim (approx 1") would the diameter not decrease by 2". if your doing
that there is going to be at least one seam, and if your having one
seam why not make it 2?

--
unicyclist.ca

http://www.Unicyclist.ca
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 20th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

unicyclist.ca wrote:
Wouldnt it be a 34" tubular? if the tire is going to be the width of the
rim (approx 1") would the diameter not decrease by 2".

Might want to re-read this thread. No one suggested the tire would be
the width of the rim. The tire section will be at least 2", but I don't
think it necessarily needs to be the current standard of 2 1/4". The
section plus the tread = the total diameter.
Plus, tubulars are more supple than clinchers, so we may not need the
full section width to get a suspension effect with the tire.

if your doing that there is going to be at least one seam, and if your
having one seam why not make it 2?

I never said there was going to be a seam (referring to the tread). The
ideal tread is a continuous loop of rubber, which is adhered to the
casing. Think a large rim strip!

And yes, tubulars can be re-treaded! As long as the casing stays in
good order.

I'm going to ejukate you guys on tire technology whether you want it or
not!

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 20th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

unisk8r wrote:
Might want to re-read this thread. No one suggested the tire would be
the width of the rim. The tire section will be at least 2", but I don't
think it necessarily needs to be the current standard of 2 1/4". The
section plus the tread = the total diameter.
Plus, tubulars are more supple than clinchers, so we may not need the
full section width to get a suspension effect with the tire.

I never said there was going to be a seam (referring to the tread). The
ideal tread is a continuous loop of rubber, which is adhered to the
casing. Think a large rim strip!

And yes, tubulars can be re-treaded! As long as the casing stays in
good order.

I'm going to ejukate you guys on tire technology whether you want it or
not!

AHHHHHH! (runs away from the man with the tire edumacation)

this thread is really interesting, so would these tires essentially be
tubeless?

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish at gmail dot com
msn: mornish at gmail dot com
'Miles Land' (http://mornish.blogspot.com/)
'California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 2008'
(http://cmw08.blogspot.com/)
Matt wrote:
Yeah I do, but, I'm lazy you see... it's this disease and uh, I haven't
taken my medication?

http://www.usenet.com

Tire tread. Brian O. Unicycling 22 January 13th 08 06:32 AM
Is this tire tread falsely accused of being "decorative"? landotter Techniques 0 June 14th 07 05:17 PM
armadillo tire tread detached zara Techniques 11 September 11th 06 02:06 PM
purple/pink spots on a tire tread Victor Kan Techniques 1 July 18th 06 06:19 PM
Trailer tire tread Dave Reckoning Techniques 5 May 24th 05 01:23 PM