Mini Pump

Old May 13th 21, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Mini Pump

On Wed, 12 May 2021 18:50:20 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/12/2021 3:28 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

and I read in the news this morning that the U.S.

The United States budget deficit surged to a record of $1.9 trillion
for the first seven months of this budget year... 30.3 percent higher
than the $1.48 trillion deficit run up over the same period a year ago

Lets see, 1.9/7 X 12 is... 3.2

Yes, well these are exceptional times. As the U.S. recovers from Covid,
and recovers from the Trump presidency, the deficits will eventually
come down. Historically, Republican presidents always run up the biggest
deficits. The unnecessary huge corporate tax cut that Trump pushed
through will hopefully be at least partially undone by Biden.

I was, probably rather obscurely, commenting on the comments about
inflation. Dumping money into an economy normally results in an
increase in costs (inflation) :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 13th 21, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2021 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

I was, probably rather obscurely, commenting on the comments about
inflation. Dumping money into an economy normally results in an
increase in costs (inflation) :-)

True. But there are worse things than inflation. The U.S. has had many
years of extremely low or zero inflation. One side effect of this has
been similarly extremely low interest rates on savings. When I was young
you could but your money in a Certificate of Deposit and get 10%
interest plus a free toaster or blender. These days you're lucky to get
a 2% return. Many big-ticket items have increased in price at a rate
much lower than the inflation rate.

Old May 13th 21, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:16:16 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2021 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip
I was, probably rather obscurely, commenting on the comments about
inflation. Dumping money into an economy normally results in an
increase in costs (inflation) :-)

True. But there are worse things than inflation. The U.S. has had many
years of extremely low or zero inflation. One side effect of this has
been similarly extremely low interest rates on savings. When I was young
you could but your money in a Certificate of Deposit and get 10%
interest plus a free toaster or blender. These days you're lucky to get
a 2% return. Many big-ticket items have increased in price at a rate
much lower than the inflation rate.

Hey pump update and not political either. I got the Lezyne in mail today and it is a great pump compared to the garbage thing I had. I tried this out on a deflated tire and easy 100 pumps to around 65-70 psi. That actually is enough but I did see about what I could do and maybe another 100 without huge work I got to 92 psi that is plenty and all I ride at times. I could have gone over 100 but certainly not worth the trouble. I got a set of glueless patches with but I have never used the glueless ones do they work as decent as traditional cement and patch?

Finally in the interest of ease I found some Kenda tubes 4 for $26 on ebay 48m treaded value. Very good deal and now I really see no reason for the CO2 in fact pumping maybe really be as easy and not cold. The pump is machine nice and could go in a back jersey pocket I got the medium length but I put it under the cage.

Deacon Mark
Old May 14th 21, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 3:25:41 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

IMO, glueless patches are emergency get-home patches, but my experience is pretty limited. I only used them a few times.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 14th 21, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 5:28:22 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2021 11:35:00 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/11/2021 10:41 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/11/2021 8:37 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 5/11/2021 9:29 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:

I’ve thought that somebody needs to make a pump with a “piston inside a
piston” - ie: a cylindrical piston that slides in a ring shaped piston.
Have the pump handle drive the inner piston, but couple it to the outer
ring shaped piston through a spring. That way, when pressure is low, both
pistons move as one and you deliver high volume at low pressure. As
pressure rises, the outer piston would tend to stay in one place and you
would convert to a high pressure, low volume setup. I’ve never put the
effort in to put this on paper or build a prototype, but the parts all seem
to do the right thing in my mind.

It's been done. Failed as a product but it worked as you
described:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...%231pmp_in.gif

And it pumped air on the return stroke as well. Interesting design. I
wonder why it failed in the market. Overpriced, unreliable or just badly
marketed?

This is a memory many decades old, but I thought my bike shop owning
friends said they came back broken. As I recall, it was astonishingly
light - probably into the "stupid light" category.

So maybe “designed past the optimum...”. Sometimes it’s hard to drop
optimizing something when you’re in a design frame of mind.

Optimization inflation? ;-)

and I read in the news this morning that the U.S.

The United States budget deficit surged to a record of $1.9 trillion
for the first seven months of this budget year... 30.3 percent higher
than the $1.48 trillion deficit run up over the same period a year ago

Lets see, 1.9/7 X 12 is... 3.2
--
Cheers,

John B.

Just in case anyone forgot, the USA federal budget year goes from October 1 to September 30. It ain't the calendar year. So Herr Kommandant Trump was in charge for 3.66 months, little more than half, through the end of April.

https://www.usa.gov/budget
Old May 14th 21, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:16:16 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2021 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip
I was, probably rather obscurely, commenting on the comments about
inflation. Dumping money into an economy normally results in an
increase in costs (inflation) :-)

True. But there are worse things than inflation. The U.S. has had many
years of extremely low or zero inflation. One side effect of this has
been similarly extremely low interest rates on savings. When I was young
you could but your money in a Certificate of Deposit and get 10%
interest plus a free toaster or blender. These days you're lucky to get
a 2% return. Many big-ticket items have increased in price at a rate
much lower than the inflation rate.

I haven't looked at the price of toasters or blenders recently, but I am not sure a 2% return on a CD (IF you can even get that!) would even buy you a toaster or a blender today. You might only be able to afford a used toaster or blender at a garage sale or the Goodwill store.
Old May 14th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 5:25:41 PM UTC-5, Mark cleary wrote:
I got a set of glueless patches with but I have never used the glueless ones do they work as decent as traditional cement and patch?

Deacon Mark

NO. Glueless patches work great in the short term only. They are a temporary patch. They unstick themselves after about a week. Or less. So use the glueless patch to get you home. Then peel off the glueless patch and properly patch the tube. If you are cheap like me and believe in patching tubes. I do. The wasteful bikers throw away tubes with holes and do not patch. Waste!!!!!!
Old May 14th 21, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 9:48:50 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
I was, probably rather obscurely, commenting on the comments about
inflation. Dumping money into an economy normally results in an
increase in costs (inflation) :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom..._United_States

That is the economic theory. But if you go to the link above and scroll down to the first big table, it will have columns for GDP Growth %, Inflation %, and Budget Balance as % of GDP. I am using the Budget Balance as % of GDP as an indicator of how much extra money, dumping, government money going into the economy. The Federal Reserve also affects money availability by adjusting borrowing rates. Since 1980 to today, I am not sure there is much meaningful correlation between more money, more GDP, more inflation. Its somewhat random. Some periods, years there is an obvious 2+2=4 relationship going on. And other years, periods, who knows what is happening or why. Since 2009 we have had huge government spending, low interest rates and huge monetary policy from the Federal Reserve, decent-ish GDP numbers, and minor inflation. One would think with huge government over spending, zero interest rates from the Fed, OK ish GDP, we would have HUGE inflation. But no, inflation has been minor. So ?????????
Old May 14th 21, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/13/2021 7:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

I happen to have a current bank statement handy.
$43350 for 30 days paid 76 cents.

Ain't no 2% savings rate. More like zero point two.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 14th 21, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2021 8:47 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 5:25:41 PM UTC-5, Mark cleary wrote:
I got a set of glueless patches with but I have never used the glueless ones do they work as decent as traditional cement and patch?

Deacon Mark

NO. Glueless patches work great in the short term only. They are a temporary patch. They unstick themselves after about a week. Or less. So use the glueless patch to get you home. Then peel off the glueless patch and properly patch the tube. If you are cheap like me and believe in patching tubes. I do. The wasteful bikers throw away tubes with holes and do not patch. Waste!!!!!!

On the other hand:

When our Bikes Friday were relatively new, I got a flat in Europe. To my
dismay, I'd forgotten to pack my patch kit. The mini pump I had with me
had come with a couple glueless patches stored in the handle. As I stuck
the patch on, I probably knocked wood and may have even said a prayer to
La Madonna del Ghisallo.

Anyway, it worked. IIRC, that patch is still on that tube.

About throwing things away: I remember on club ride long ago where a guy
flatted, put in a new tube then threw the old tube into the bushes. I
thought that was really irresponsible, so I fetched the tube and put it
in my handlebar bag.

His response? "Oh, if I knew you saved those I would have given it to
you!" He had absolutely no clue that tossing his trash around was a bad
idea.

--
- Frank Krygowski

mini mini pump recommendation needed Simon Lewis Techniques 31 March 27th 10 07:19 AM
Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump terrybigwheel Unicycling 4 February 3rd 06 01:28 AM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM