Motorists v. Bicyclists and Twitter

Old December 16th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DC1999

Default Motorists v. Bicyclists and Twitter

In Orange County, CA, 16 people have died in Auto v. Bicycle
accidents. The Orange County Register has run two articles recently
about this carnage, and here are the Links (Copied from my Twitter
feed @dave30c):

It's Time to Stop Killing Bicyclists, from OC Register. http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

Drivers, Bicyclists Share Tips on Road Safety, OC Register. http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

I'd welcome your bicycle posts on Twitter about bicycle safety, rides,
products, etc. The hash code appears to be #bicyclists.

Dave Clark
Old December 16th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

DC1999 wrote, On 12/15/2009 11:28 PM:
In Orange County, CA, 16 people have died in Auto v. Bicycle
accidents. The Orange County Register has run two articles recently
about this carnage, and here are the Links (Copied from my Twitter
feed @dave30c):

It's Time to Stop Killing Bicyclists, from OC Register. http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

Drivers, Bicyclists Share Tips on Road Safety, OC Register. http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

I'd welcome your bicycle posts on Twitter about bicycle safety, rides,
products, etc. The hash code appears to be #bicyclists.

Dave Clark

Great, the last thing we need is a bunch of people Twittering about
bicycle safety while riding their bikes and driving their SUVs....

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old December 16th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DC1999

On Dec 16, 7:15*am, Paul O wrote:
DC1999 wrote, On 12/15/2009 11:28 PM: In Orange County, CA, 16 people have died in Auto v. Bicycle
accidents. *The Orange County Register has run two articles recently
about this carnage, and here are the Links (Copied from my Twitter
feed @dave30c):

It's Time to Stop Killing Bicyclists, from OC Register. *http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

Drivers, Bicyclists Share Tips on Road Safety, OC Register. *http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

I'd welcome your bicycle posts on Twitter about bicycle safety, rides,
products, etc. *The hash code appears to be #bicyclists.

Dave Clark

Great, the last thing we need is a bunch of people Twittering about
bicycle safety while riding their bikes and driving their SUVs....

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

That's 16 dead cyclists THIS YEAR.

Dave
Old December 17th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Dec 16, 11:52*am, DC1999 wrote:
On Dec 16, 7:15*am, Paul O wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

A quick "back of envelope' computation would suggest that's about
triple the national average, which is pretty bad. Last I looked,
there were about 800 bicyclists killed in the US in a typical year.
On a per hour of riding basis, it was better than for autos; on a per
mile basis, it was worse; but in both cases in the same order of
magnitude. With 16 deaths, Orange County would have 2% of the total,
which would require a County population of over 6,000,000 (2% of
300,000,000 plus) to have a rate equal to the national average - which
it doesn't have.
Old December 17th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
LionTeaser

On Dec 16, 10:15*am, Paul O wrote:
DC1999 wrote, On 12/15/2009 11:28 PM: In Orange County, CA, 16 people have died in Auto v. Bicycle
accidents. *The Orange County Register has run two articles recently
about this carnage, and here are the Links (Copied from my Twitter
feed @dave30c):

It's Time to Stop Killing Bicyclists, from OC Register. *http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

Drivers, Bicyclists Share Tips on Road Safety, OC Register. *http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

I'd welcome your bicycle posts on Twitter about bicycle safety, rides,
products, etc. *The hash code appears to be #bicyclists.

Dave Clark

Great, the last thing we need is a bunch of people Twittering about
bicycle safety while riding their bikes and driving their SUVs....

That's right! We should junk the SUVs once and for all.

Old December 17th 09, 03:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
LionTeaser

On Dec 15, 11:28*pm, DC1999 wrote:
In Orange County, CA, 16 people have died in Auto v. Bicycle
accidents. *The Orange County Register has run two articles recently
about this carnage, and here are the Links (Copied from my Twitter
feed @dave30c):

It's Time to Stop Killing Bicyclists, from OC Register. *http://bit.ly/5eIwAD

Drivers, Bicyclists Share Tips on Road Safety, OC Register. *http://bit..ly/5eIwAD

I'd welcome your bicycle posts on Twitter about bicycle safety, rides,
products, etc. *The hash code appears to be #bicyclists.

Dave Clark

I've got this comment from your link...

beadyeye wrote:
Cyclists need to stop riding outside of the bike lane. I see this
constantly. two guys side by side talking, 3 feet into the part of the
road where cars drive by at 50 miles per hour. Or how about riding
your bike where there are no cars? Seriously, is it worth dying just
to ride on the same road where idiots are driving by talking on their
phones?

***

We need to change that perception, but here's another solution: BIKES
TAKE THE LANE, CARS MUST PASS ON ANOTHER LANE, ACCIDENTS ARE BLAMED ON
CARS AUTOMATICALLY UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

Thank you. And remember NOW THERE'S A REVOLUTION BEHIND YOU!
Old December 17th 09, 06:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Hey, want a winning strategy? Seek the solidarity of the PEDESTRIANS
and other endangered species...

On Dec 13, 11:56 am, Nashton wrote:
LionWhisperer wrote:
(aka Comandante Banana)

I guess that's the role of society and government: TO PUT THE PREDATOR
IN THE CAGE. In other words that we can use some NATION BUILDING HERE.

Based on equality for bicycle riders?

Hardly.

In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying my Sequoia Platinum and feel
extremely safe when driving my kids to wherever they want to go *Safely*.

And PEDESTRIANS, and anyone who's nearly the bottom of the food chain,
inluding scooter, motorcyclists, Smart cars, regular cars...

The Stupid Unnecessary Vehicle is simply an attack on civilization...

"The number of students walking to school in the United States has
fallen from 70 percent a generation ago to barely 10 percent today.
What are the implications of this enormous change? What caused it?
What can be done to reverse it?"

http://www.pedestrians.org/

Old December 18th 09, 07:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Doug[_3_]

beadyeye wrote:

Cyclists need to stop riding outside of the bike lane. I see this
constantly. two guys side by side talking, 3 feet into the part of the
road where cars drive by at 50 miles per hour. Or how about riding
your bike where there are no cars? Seriously, is it worth dying just
to ride on the same road where idiots are driving by talking on their
phones?

Maybe if enough die the government will finally do something about it
to make cycling on a public road much safer from idiot drivers, who
seem to be mollycoddled in law. Its better than cowering in some
pedestrian shared space like a bunch of fearful losers.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old December 18th 09, 12:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tony Dragon

beadyeye wrote:

Cyclists need to stop riding outside of the bike lane. I see this
constantly. two guys side by side talking, 3 feet into the part of the
road where cars drive by at 50 miles per hour. Or how about riding
your bike where there are no cars? Seriously, is it worth dying just
to ride on the same road where idiots are driving by talking on their
phones?

Maybe if enough die the government will finally do something about it
to make cycling on a public road much safer from idiot drivers, who
seem to be mollycoddled in law. Its better than cowering in some
pedestrian shared space like a bunch of fearful losers.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Maybe if enough die, some cyclists might start using the road in a less
idiotic fashion as well.

--
Tony Dragon
Old December 18th 09, 04:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Doug[_3_]

beadyeye wrote:

Cyclists need to stop riding outside of the bike lane. I see this
constantly. two guys side by side talking, 3 feet into the part of the
road where cars drive by at 50 miles per hour. Or how about riding
your bike where there are no cars? Seriously, is it worth dying just
to ride on the same road where idiots are driving by talking on their
phones?

Maybe if enough die the government will finally do something about it
to make cycling on a public road much safer from idiot drivers, who
seem to be mollycoddled in law. Its better than cowering in some
pedestrian shared space like a bunch of fearful losers.

Maybe if enough die, some cyclists might start using the road in a less
idiotic fashion as well.

So you blame the vulnerable victims instead of their killers? Why do
you imagine so many cyclists abandon roads in favour of pavements and
other routes shared with pedestrians? Because enough cyclists are
dying already on our roads. It needs an increase in fatalities for
government to deign do something about it.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Twitter Fanboys [email protected] Racing 1 April 1st 09 07:52 AM
Racers with Twitter accounts? Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 16 February 23rd 09 03:38 PM
Twitter uni - twuni b.King Unicycling 11 December 19th 08 02:01 PM
Bicyclists Conflict With Motorists in Los Angeles DC1999 General 17 July 29th 08 05:22 PM
Bicyclists are motorists? Since when? chrisrange Social Issues 2 August 6th 04 05:29 AM