Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9th 04, 10:24 PM
Tim

Default Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

"DH" wrote in message ...
I don't know what the solution is. Do you hunt down the animal for
killing even though that's what it does. If it were a domesticated dog,
we would put it to sleep. Do we kill bears that have attacked humans?
What's the manner we deal with mountain lions?

How should this be handled?

Actually, I see no dilemma. In the wild, if WE were a threat to the
lion, then the lion would have no qualms about attacking and killing
us. Lions kill for territory. The lion would, had it been permitted
to live, represent a continuing threat to our kind.

And lions get each and every single bit of their food from animals
that were alive just before the lion killed them (unless the lion is
kill-stealing, which happens a lot) because, to lions, might makes
right.

Some would argue that the lion was only doing what it normally does;
to which I'd respond, and humans are doing what humans should be
doing.

Some might argue that the lions were there first, to which you'd have
to acknowledge that lions fight for territory, often usurping control
from another lion which was previously there. So the concept of being
killed for territory is not alien to the species involved.

And yes, bears that have attacked humans are killed (if they are
tracked down).