Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Old March 2nd 04, 12:35 AM
Edward Dolan

Default Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

"Arne" wrote in message news:M1F0c.11669$Ri6.3660@lakeread04...

Sticker Jim wrote:

"Wastelands", really? I think the beasties should be left where they are,
and people can stay the hell out of their "house".

I agree. There are way too many people. If we continue to screw up the
balance by over-populating the world (as we will as we are not too smart),
we will continue to move into areas where the 'wild' animals live. We will
bitch about them, and kill them off, without a thought about what we are
doing to the world.

All those 'bundles from heaven' grow up and demand resources.... and don't
come bragging to me about all your grandchildren. I put up with them on the
highway every day.

Arne (I remember when the USA had a population of 150 million and was much
more livable).

I too remember when this country had a population of 150 million and I
thought that was plenty. Now we are double that and there is no end in
sight. It is total insanity of course, but I heard the ultimate
insanity in England many years ago when I was strolling about Hyde
Park listening to all the orators pontificating there on their soap
boxes. Most of them were from third world countries and were
advocating that England should open the gates and let into the country
anyone in the world (but mostly from their former colonies) who wanted
to come. One elderly English gentleman turned to me and said that
England was a very small and crowded island and that it surely didn't
need any more people.

Japan is another very small crowded island but I do think they have
enough sense to keep the rest of the world out. Apparently, America
will have to become as crowed as Japan before we acquire enough sense
to want to keep the rest of the world out. By that time America will
no longer be a beautiful country in which to live, but will
essentially be a pig sty like most of the rest of the world. India,
here we come!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 2nd 04, 03:55 AM
Tom Sherman

Arne wrote:

All those 'bundles from heaven' grow up and demand resources.... and don't
come bragging to me about all your grandchildren....

Having children can be economically beneficial.

Jonathan Swift

Old March 2nd 04, 06:44 AM
Freewheeling

Arne:

I thought this was a thread about dealing with a killer mountain lion, and
was going to contribute by suggesting a .44 magnum. But now I see it's on
the verge of morphing into a thread about making heterosexuality illegal,
which is a different way to skin the cat.

--
--Scott
"Arne" wrote in message
I agree. There are way too many people. If we continue to screw up the
balance by over-populating the world (as we will as we are not too smart),
we will continue to move into areas where the 'wild' animals live. We will
bitch about them, and kill them off, without a thought about what we are
doing to the world.

All those 'bundles from heaven' grow up and demand resources.... and don't
come bragging to me about all your grandchildren. I put up with them on

the
highway every day.

Arne (I remember when the USA had a population of 150 million and was much
more liveable)

=====================

Old March 2nd 04, 10:04 AM
Dave Larrington

Tom Sherman wrote:

Having children can be economically beneficial.

Jonathan Swift

Yeah, but he's kind of outdated now. It's cheaper to buy a new
Mercedes-Benz every two years than to bring up a child (and probably better
for the environment too).

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old March 2nd 04, 04:51 PM
Freewheeling

Actually Ed (and Arne) the population of Germany is declining so rapidly
that by 2050 it will be smaller than it was during the Nazi period, and the
majority will be over 50. Other western nations are on a similar "graying"
trend. The US lags Europe a little, but not by much. And were it not for
immigration the labor base wouldn't even be close to large enough to support
SSI for retirees.

Learn a second language.

--
--Scott
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
om...

Old March 3rd 04, 08:11 AM
Mark Leuck

"Freewheeling" wrote in message
Actually Ed (and Arne) the population of Germany is declining so rapidly
that by 2050 it will be smaller than it was during the Nazi period, and

the
majority will be over 50. Other western nations are on a similar

"graying"
trend. The US lags Europe a little, but not by much. And were it not for
immigration the labor base wouldn't even be close to large enough to

support
SSI for retirees.

Learn a second language.

Not just Germany but much of Europe

Old March 3rd 04, 08:37 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Freewheeling" skrev

Learn a second language.

Well here that would be learn a fourth language as english and german
is mandatory. Or at least was when I was in school.
If you take highschool too it will be a fifth language. ;-)
We could chose between french, spanish and russian in mine.

Just nitpicking a bit.

Cheers
Mikael, Denmark
Old March 3rd 04, 10:06 AM
Edward Dolan

"Freewheeling" wrote in message ...

Actually Ed (and Arne) the population of Germany is declining so rapidly
that by 2050 it will be smaller than it was during the Nazi period, and the
majority will be over 50. Other western nations are on a similar "graying"
trend. The US lags Europe a little, but not by much. And were it not for
immigration the labor base wouldn't even be close to large enough to support
SSI for retirees.

The answer to supporting a graying population is not to import
zillions of impoverished people from third world countries. That fix
is worse than the problem. Social Security will have to be means
tested in the future. Those who don't need it shouldn't get it. The
retirement age could possibly be moved up a few years too. And the
COLAS need to be more realistic. There is a lot that can be done other
than importing third world impoverished people who end up costing
society an arm and a leg in social support services (education, health
care and welfare). That is why California is in such a mess although
no one will admit it.

Regardless of any social security hangups, the fact is that there are
way too many people in the world today. The planet is being stressed
beyond its carrying capacity. Mother nature will step in one of these
days and reduce the human population by two thirds or more. It is the
ultimate reality. If the population is graying anywhere in the world,
that is the best news possible. But I do not think the population will
ever gray in the third world because they are all living in the past
and are medieval in their thinking (largely due to their execrable
religions).

The very nicest thing about living here in SW Minnesota is that we are
constantly losing population. I love it. The fewer the people the
better. Unfortunately, I can not claim that as true for the town that
I am living in as it continues to grow because of the need for cheap
labor at the local meat packing plant.

Learn a second language.

That will never happen in my case because you can't teach an old dog
like me new tricks. Most learning is a pain in the ass anyway if truth
be told. That is why education has to be pounded into the youth. Left
to their own devices they would do nothing but listen to rap, do drugs
and engage in sex. If you ever want to know what humans are really
like with all societal restraints removed, just have a look at any
Black slum in any major city in this country and you will see the
human being in all his glory. Especially the human male animal. I have
more respect and admiration for chimps than I do some humans.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 3rd 04, 10:08 PM
Edward Dolan

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message ...

"Freewheeling" skrev

Learn a second language.

Well here that would be learn a fourth language as english and german
is mandatory. Or at least was when I was in school.
If you take highschool too it will be a fifth language. ;-)
We could chose between french, spanish and russian in mine.

Just nitpicking a bit.

Cheers
Mikael, Denmark

I have known many people who are fluent in several languages, yet can
say nothing sensible in any of them. They are like idiot savants. It
is surely better to master one language and have some intelligence
left over for other things, than to master many languages and be a
blockhead in everything else under the sun.

Just my most very humble opinion of course!

By the way, what does "skrev" mean?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 3rd 04, 11:05 PM
Edward Dolan

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message ...

"Freewheeling" skrev

Learn a second language.

Well here that would be learn a fourth language as english and german
is mandatory. Or at least was when I was in school.
If you take highschool too it will be a fifth language. ;-)
We could chose between french, spanish and russian in mine.

Is there some reason why you are not capitalizing the names of the
languages? Do you not capitalize the names of countries and other
proper nouns? It may be that Danish does not do this and you have
carried that over into English, but I assure you that in English the
names of countries and their languages are always capitalized. In
other words, do you write copenhagen, denmark or do you write
Copenhagen, Denmark? Do you write danish or do you write Danish? Do
you write your name mikael or do you write it Mikael?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota