Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Old January 23rd 04, 07:51 AM
Steve McDonald

Default OT Biker Killed by Mountain Lion (Snakes in Europe)

The reference on a previous message about the one poisonous snake
in the British Isles (the Common Adder), says that it is only mildly
venomous. This is misleading, as they can be deadly. If someone
receives a full load of venom in a strike and becomes agitated, allowing
the poison to circulate through the body rapidly, death can result.
More often, crippling degeneration of a hand or lower leg may result, as
the hemotoxin digests the tissue. The adders found there are close
relatives of the rattlesnakes, but they lack the warning device.

Regarding Mikael's experience of hearing something hissing on
Bornholm, I wonder if it was actually a snake? This island, at 55
degrees N., was swept bare and buried for thousands of years by the
Polar Ice Sheet, during the last ice age. Like Ireland, any reptiles
that lived there previously, were likely exterminated. Unless there
was a land bridge connecting to the mainland at some time since, I don't
know how snakes could have re-populated it. On my homeland, in the
Outer Hebrides Islands (56 degrees N.), the only reptile is a strange
little snake called the Slow Worm. It lives underground and moves at a
glacial pace. Some birds will hiss like snakes if they are cornered.

Has anyone done any biking on Bornholm? That would be worth
writing a story. There are a surprising number of people living there
and I'd bet that much of an older culture survives. My grandfather, who
was a sea captain, stopped there many times in the 1800s, fathered my
father at age 75 and took up bicycling the same year.

Steve McDonald

Old January 23rd 04, 08:12 AM
Mikael Seierup

Default OT Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

"Carol Hague" skrev

I should have mentioned that I've quite happily had my photo taken with
a large constrictor and the thought of snakes per se doesn't bother me
(although I'd avoid poisonous ones for pragmatic reasons) - it was the
sudden appearance of this one that threw me.

Yep. I was sorta replying to you both. If the mere thought of snakes gives
one the screaming heeby jeebies I'd say it was a phobia.
I'm not all that keen on heights and looking at high stuff on the tv sometimes
makes me dizzy. (Didn't stop me from crawling up on the flat roof of our block of
flats to replace a rooftile tho. Right at the egde of the flat part and a 5 story drop
in which to learn to fly should I slip. Can't say I enjoyed it much however.)

Precisely!

This is what I (and Ed, I think) was getting at - hence my comment that
the panic was "My first reaction, before the rational part of my brain
kicked in "

Since we got the North Sea between us I guess I can somewhat safely ask:
Does women have a rational part in their brains? ;o)
(If you are going to the Worlds in Denmark please let me know well in advance.)

I don't think I'm phobic about snakes at all, and I suspect we may
actually be in violent agreement here :-)

Aw, don't you just hate when that happens? ;-) I'm sure Ed can help.

Regards
Mikael of Copenhagen
Old January 23rd 04, 08:29 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Steve McDonald" skrev...

Regarding Mikael's experience of hearing something hissing on
Bornholm, I wonder if it was actually a snake? This island, at 55
degrees N., was swept bare and buried for thousands of years by the
Polar Ice Sheet, during the last ice age. Like Ireland, any reptiles
that lived there previously, were likely exterminated. Unless there
was a land bridge connecting to the mainland at some time since, I don't
know how snakes could have re-populated it. On my homeland, in the
Outer Hebrides Islands (56 degrees N.), the only reptile is a strange
little snake called the Slow Worm. It lives underground and moves at a
glacial pace. Some birds will hiss like snakes if they are cornered.

It could have been a poisonous adder/viper. There are lots living
in that particular area of Bornholm actually.
I didn't stop to ask how its ancestors got there. ;-)
Then again it could have been a rat or bird.
56N doesn't mean much in this context as we still got the Gulf Stream.
I read that we might not have it much longer and that could mean a considerable
drop in average temperatures of 4-5C. Guess I should take up skiing then.

Has anyone done any biking on Bornholm? That would be worth
writing a story. There are a surprising number of people living there
and I'd bet that much of an older culture survives. My grandfather, who
was a sea captain, stopped there many times in the 1800s, fathered my
father at age 75 and took up bicycling the same year.

I did on the same trip but it was on steenkin rentawedgies and I had my sister
who hasn't biked in decades in tow. A trip around the coast is 100 km or so
but they do have some nasty hills in the northern part.
I would recommend visiting it. Maybe a bit late in the season like we did
so most of the tourists have gone. There was still lots to see and people there
are very friendly. We hitched a few rides without any trouble.
If you are into ceramics and pottery its heaven. Can't throw a rock anywhere
without hitting a workshop. Good food and nature too. Tons of pensions, hotels
and summer cottages for rent. Someone should pay me to say all this. ;-)

Mikael
Old January 23rd 04, 10:15 AM
Steve McDonald

Default OT Biker Killed by Mountain Lion (Bornholm Biking)

Look what I found----et websted about biking on Bornholm:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/3879/index.html

This website would have you believe Bornholm is the closest thing
to Paradise for cyclists. The part I like is where it says, "People on
bikes have the right of way over all other road traffic." Imagine that!
They have many offroad bikepaths and some rails to trails conversions.
The website gives you a detailed description of several routes and a lot
about the history and culture of the island. There are some low-cost
ferries that travel the 100KM from Poland and I'm sure there are some
from Denmark and Sweden, as well. I'll bet I could have some fun there
with my Sea Kayak, which I tow behind a bike on a trailer.

Steve McDonald

Old January 23rd 04, 10:43 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Steve McDonald" skrev
The part I like is where it says, "People on
bikes have the right of way over all other road traffic." Imagine that!

Imagine all you like - just don't test it. ;-)
Or you will see the picturesque hospital up close and personal.
I think she may have gotten a bit carried away there.

Mikael
Old January 23rd 04, 04:37 PM
Carol Hague

Mikael Seierup wrote:

"Carol Hague" skrev

I should have mentioned that I've quite happily had my photo taken with
a large constrictor and the thought of snakes per se doesn't bother me
(although I'd avoid poisonous ones for pragmatic reasons) - it was the
sudden appearance of this one that threw me.

Yep. I was sorta replying to you both. If the mere thought of snakes gives
one the screaming heeby jeebies I'd say it was a phobia.

Ah, fair enough. I got the mistaken impression that you meant my
reaction to the snake I met was phobic - sorry I misinterpreted you.

I'm not all that keen on heights and looking at high stuff on the tv
sometimes makes me dizzy. (Didn't stop me from crawling up on the flat
roof of our block of flats to replace a rooftile tho. Right at the egde of
the flat part and a 5 story drop in which to learn to fly should I slip.
Can't say I enjoyed it much however.)

I don't like heights either, so I can sympathise there.

Precisely!

This is what I (and Ed, I think) was getting at - hence my comment that
the panic was "My first reaction, before the rational part of my brain
kicked in "

Since we got the North Sea between us I guess I can somewhat safely ask:
Does women have a rational part in their brains? ;o)

Thrrrrrrrrp!!

(If you are going to the Worlds in Denmark please let me know well in
advance.)

When is this, next year? Is it going to be in Roskilde again?
We may well go if we can catch a suitable ferry.

Rob went last time it was in Denmark - not to compete, just to meet
people.

And don't worry about meeting me if we do, I'll have forgotten your
cheekiness by then :-)

I don't think I'm phobic about snakes at all, and I suspect we may
actually be in violent agreement here :-)

Aw, don't you just hate when that happens? ;-)

Dreadful isn't it? And we even managed to get back on topic, too -
whatever's the world coming to? :-)

--
Carol Hague
"If tin whistles are made of tin, what do they make fog horns out of?"

Old January 23rd 04, 04:37 PM
Carol Hague

Steve McDonald wrote:

The reference on a previous message about the one poisonous snake
in the British Isles (the Common Adder), says that it is only mildly
venomous. This is misleading, as they can be deadly. If someone
receives a full load of venom in a strike and becomes agitated, allowing
the poison to circulate through the body rapidly, death can result.
More often, crippling degeneration of a hand or lower leg may result, as
the hemotoxin digests the tissue. The adders found there are close
relatives of the rattlesnakes, but they lack the warning device.

Apologies if I was misleading - it was only meant to be an aside, to
point out that the UK has fewer venomous snakes than e.g. Australia, and
those we do have kill very few people, so the residents here are less
likely to have developed a fear of snakes through having to chase them
out of the dunny....

Can't remember where I saw the bee-sting comment (but then bee-stings
can also be fatal if you happen to be allergic)

I *did* say I wasn't volunteering to test the information though :-)

According to :-
http://www.uksafari.com/adders.htm

the last instance of a fatal adder bite in Britain was in 1972, and
approximately 40% of adder bites don't release any venom at all.

Adders aren't aggressive either - they much prefer to hide or slither
off if they hear humans about. Apparently the most common way that
people get bitten is by trying to handle them...

--
Carol Hague
"You can't run away forever - but there's nothing wrong with getting a

Old January 23rd 04, 04:55 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Carol Hague" skrev...
(If you are going to the Worlds in Denmark please let me know well in
advance.)

When is this, next year? Is it going to be in Roskilde again?
We may well go if we can catch a suitable ferry.

Hmmm...good question really. I heard someone murmur they might be
interested in hosting it in Aalborg. Thats in Jutland 2/3rds up.
Nothing definite yet though.

Mikael