Helmet-Cam

Old October 17th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default Helmet-Cam

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my
ride I thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each
ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ass.../AT18_3_lg.jpg

Looks small enough, but once you put it on, it'll be years before
you meet up with another road jerk. However, if you get a picture,
let us know.

Chalo Colina writes:
You never can tell what you might catch on video. The woman who got
the following footage was able to show it to the police when the
offending driver claimed that she swerved into _him_:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eootaHR0Q

wrote:
I think there was enough evidence for this incident to show that the
car locked its wheels in a 180° spinout blocking the lane to the right
in which the moto was proceeding. The white smoke from the tires make
clear that the direction of the car at the moment of impact was headed
the wrong way.

The video underscores what, I'm sure, a collision analysis would
reveal by itself. I hope this doesn't come to the point where we all
need to record our environment in daily life to prove the obvious. I
come to that from the expert witness work I have had for bicycle
incidents. I felt most of what I testified was obvious, but that
seems to be getting harder and harder for people to see. When
properly explained, together with physical evidence, it was obvious.

I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a month
ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn in mid
block and slid me right across the lane. If that much is 'obvious', I
still have questions.
What the hell is wrong with people? What would the result be if there
was a fuel tanker or a squad car in the lane instead of a motorcycle or
a bicycle? Just what did the driver think would happen pointing the
wrong way in a lane of moving vehicles? Doesn't anybody _look_ before
looping around against traffic? wtf??
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 18th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I had the privileged of being a passenger in a mini-van a friend was
driving when he decided rather unwisely to do a hand-brake slide in
the snow on an exit ramp on the interstate getting off at a rest area
once. This is boneheaded enough, but the kicker was he forgot we had a
trailer hooked on the back with a 2000 pound car on it! We ended up
pointing the wrong way on the exit ramp in a snow storm at night after
spinning a few times like a crazy giant set of nunchucks. He was dazed
by his own foolishness, such that I had to kick him out of his seat so
I could take over. As the ramp was narrow, and time was of the
essence, I had no option but to gas it down the exit ramp back onto
the interstate, and bust a quick u-turn to get us back in the right
direction. And he is a smart guy! Think about all the other
chuckleheads! WTF indeed!

Joseph

Old October 19th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Andrew Muzi mused:
I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a month
ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn in mid
block and slid me right across the lane....

There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign and
out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 19th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 19, 7:57 am, Tom Sherman wrote:
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:

I had the privileged of being a passenger in a mini-van a friend was
driving when he decided rather unwisely to do a hand-brake slide in
the snow on an exit ramp on the interstate getting off at a rest area
once. This is boneheaded enough, but the kicker was he forgot we had a
trailer hooked on the back with a 2000 pound car on it! We ended up
pointing the wrong way on the exit ramp in a snow storm at night after
spinning a few times like a crazy giant set of nunchucks. He was dazed
by his own foolishness, such that I had to kick him out of his seat so
I could take over. As the ramp was narrow, and time was of the
essence, I had no option but to gas it down the exit ramp back onto
the interstate, and bust a quick u-turn to get us back in the right
direction. And he is a smart guy! Think about all the other
chuckleheads! WTF indeed!

COOL!!!

Been there, done that (passenger in a vehicle when the driver spins out
with the handbrake).

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

I know some other chuckleheads who for laughs grab the hand brake at
inopportune moments on ice or snow when they are the passenger! I use
my handbrake quite a bit in winter (now that I don't have a rwd car
anymore, sniff...) but it's a whole different thing when somebody else
unexpectedly yanks on it!

Joseph

Old October 19th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 18, 10:53 pm, Tom Sherman wrote:
Andrew Muzi mused:

I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a month
ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn in mid
block and slid me right across the lane....

There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign and
out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

Tch, tch. Don't be xenophobic. It seems like the
better solution would be to fund driver's ed classes
for them. Students are here legally, trying to
better themselves. And Andrew did not say the driver
was a student.

As for public universities favoring foreign graduate
students, they don't. The foreign students are often
(though not always) in technical fields and the
domestic applicant pool isn't very deep. So while
there are often good domestic grad students even in
departments that aren't top-rank, there may not be
enough of them to keep a healthy grad program.

In fact, there are often disincentives to admitting
foreign grad students. For ex., when I worked at
the Univ. of California, foreign students could not
establish in-state residency on a student visa.
Therefore, the department would have to commit
to paying out-of-state tuition for them for
5-6 years, which made them significantly more
expensive than US students, so we had fewer.
Yes, this is silly because it's one arm of the
campus paying the other, but that's the way it worked.
On the other hand, I think some states do let foreign
students establish residency for tuition purposes.

If you want to solve this issue, I suggest
increasing respect for technical education so that
more domestic students want to get it. That means
improving science ed in grade school. Good luck!
There's an easier way, of course, which is to let
the American higher ed system degenerate through
neglect until foreign students don't want to come
here anymore.

Ben

Old October 19th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Default OT Rant (was: Helmet-Cam)

aka Ben ? wrote:
On Oct 18, 10:53 pm, Tom Sherman wrote:
Andrew Muzi mused:

I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a month
ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn in mid
block and slid me right across the lane....

There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign and
out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

Tch, tch. Don't be xenophobic. It seems like the
better solution would be to fund driver's ed classes
for them. Students are here legally, trying to
better themselves. And Andrew did not say the driver
was a student.

Most of the Chinese in the UW-Madison Campus area (a couple of blocks
from Andrew's shop) are or came as foreign students to UW-Madison. And
no, they for the most part do NOT follow the rules of the road, whether
driving, cycling or walking.

As for public universities favoring foreign graduate
students, they don't.

UW-Madison, which is partly funded by my (and other Wisconsin residents)
state tax dollars does favor foreign and out of state students over
those who graduated from a Wisconsin high school.

The foreign students are often
(though not always) in technical fields and the
domestic applicant pool isn't very deep. So while
there are often good domestic grad students even in
departments that aren't top-rank, there may not be
enough of them to keep a healthy grad program.

And the domestic, in-state graduate students get screwed when it comes
to campus housing and awarding of assistantships.

[...]

If I had the energy, I could start a lobbying group to put pressure on
the people who occupy Andrew Muzi's favorite photo background.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 20th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Andrew Muzi mused:
I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a month
ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn in mid
block and slid me right across the lane....

There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign and
out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

The USA is outsourcing intellectual accomplishment.
Grammar school, secondary school, and college curricula
are adulterated. SAT tests and standards are lowered.
Monies for schools are diverted into graft at a record
rate. Those who read and study are mistrusted.
Political agendas encroach into classrooms.

People who complain about foreigners play into the
hands of the governors.

--
Michael Press