Helmet-Cam

Old October 20th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default Helmet-Cam

Andrew Muzi mused:
I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a
month ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn
in mid block and slid me right across the lane....

Tom Sherman wrote:
There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign and
out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

(wildly OT at this point) Once the highly skilled /highly educated
products of that system stayed here to work[1]. Now that H1B visas are
scant they are forced to leave. What's with that?
[1] In my opinion a Good Thing for the nation
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 20th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Default OT Rant (was: Helmet-Cam)

Andrew Muzi mused:

Tom Sherman wrote:
There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign
and out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

(wildly OT at this point) Once the highly skilled /highly educated
products of that system stayed here to work[1]. Now that H1B visas are
scant they are forced to leave. What's with that?

Send them home, so the technical work can be outsourced, further
undermining the middle class in the ongoing class war.

Is not the point of a taxpayer funded public university to provide
education for members of that population? Why discriminate AGAINST the
best students of local origin?

[1] In my opinion a Good Thing for the nation

Well, if one is in a foreign country, one should make an attempt to
adhere to their practices as far as not harming others. Driving in
Madison like one is a member of the privileged class in China is NOT
acceptable.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 20th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default OT Rant

Andrew Muzi:
I was struck similarly (at lower speed!) on a customer's Bianchi a
month ago. The driver, from NoInsurance, China, pulled a snappy u-turn in mid

-snip-

Tom Sherman wrote:
There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive

-snip-

aka Ben ? wrote:
Tch, tch. Don't be xenophobic.

-snip-

Tom Sherman wrote:
Most of the Chinese in the UW-Madison Campus area (a couple of blocks
from Andrew's shop) are or came as foreign students to UW-Madison. And
no, they for the most part do NOT follow the rules of the road, whether

-snip-
If I had the energy, I could start a lobbying group to put pressure on
the people who occupy Andrew Muzi's favorite photo background.

If you deliver suitcases of cash on a regular basis they _might_ listen.
You'll have to stand in a long line for that.
Old October 20th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Tom Sherman wrote:
There needs to be a crackdown on foreign students who can not drive
properly. Why do they need cars on campus anyhow? For that matter, why
does a public university funded by in-state taxpayers favor foreign
and out of state students when it comes to subsidized housing and
scholarships/fellowships and graduate research and teaching positions?

(wildly OT at this point) Once the highly skilled /highly educated
products of that system stayed here to work[1]. Now that H1B visas are
scant they are forced to leave. What's with that?

Send them home, so the technical work can be outsourced, further
undermining the middle class in the ongoing class war.

Is not the point of a taxpayer funded public university to provide
education for members of that population? Why discriminate AGAINST the
best students of local origin?

Many of our geniuses were educated in Germany, England, etc.
Oppenheimer, for example. Exporting education is a good thing for the
GNP and for cementing ties with other countries. Sure, it sucks bad
being beaten out by someone who speaks English as a second language,
but that's what it means to compete. Being white and American is just
not enough to put you in first place any more. -- Jay Beattie.

Old October 20th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

What about when there is a de facto affirmative action policy that
favors LESS QUALIFIED NON-RESIDENT students over MORE QUALIFIED RESIDENT
students?

"So what if you are an outstanding academic achiever - that fellowship
is earmarked for a foreigner or an out of state student. Tough."

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 20th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

It depends on the applicant. Diversity has its benefits, but there are
also well-established limits on reverse discrimination. I think
giving consideration to diversity within the bounds set by the USSC is
appropriate.

I have never been on an admissions board, but I have interviewed many
applicants for associate positions. I rarely find that the applicant
with the best grades is the most qualified or the best choice. "Most
qualified" is hard to quantify -- it's not just grades and test
scores. I have also learned that it is also not the most exotic
person, or the person with the most verve and panache. It's someone in
between. I knows 'em when I seez 'em.

"So what if you are an outstanding academic achiever - that fellowship
is earmarked for a foreigner or an out of state student. Tough."

It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of national origin under
Title VI, but I don't know how that would play out as to an endowed
chair, fellowship or something that is "earmarked" for a foreigner --
like the Alfred E. Newman Foreign Scholar Chair. I don't know if there
is a "safe harbor" under Title VI. Interesting question, though. --
Jay Beattie.

Old October 20th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

Well, we white trash mut people get tired of being lumped together with
the more privileged middle and upper classes when these decisions are made.

I have never been on an admissions board, but I have interviewed many
applicants for associate positions. I rarely find that the applicant
with the best grades is the most qualified or the best choice. "Most
qualified" is hard to quantify -- it's not just grades and test
scores. I have also learned that it is also not the most exotic
person, or the person with the most verve and panache. It's someone in
between. I knows 'em when I seez 'em.

Or do you (like most everyone else) subconsciously choose the type of
person who you would want to hang out with (the normal procedure for
hiring and promotions)?

"So what if you are an outstanding academic achiever - that fellowship
is earmarked for a foreigner or an out of state student. Tough."

It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of national origin under
Title VI, but I don't know how that would play out as to an endowed
chair, fellowship or something that is "earmarked" for a foreigner --
like the Alfred E. Newman Foreign Scholar Chair. I don't know if there
is a "safe harbor" under Title VI. Interesting question, though. --

Should not the purpose of a State University funded in large part by
State tax funds, be to educate the residents of that state?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 20th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
.com
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

I have never been on an admissions board, but I have interviewed many
applicants for associate positions. I rarely find that the applicant
with the best grades is the most qualified or the best choice. "Most
qualified" is hard to quantify -- it's not just grades and test
scores. I have also learned that it is also not the most exotic
person, or the person with the most verve and panache. It's someone in
between. I knows 'em when I seez 'em.

When interviewing applicants I reviewed the resume and
marked points of interest. Among points of interest
were topics I find interesting and either know
something about, or know virtually nothing. If the
applicant could tell me about the item, make it
interesting, and offer true insight that was a real
good sign. It was surprising how often an applicant
could tell me nothing about an item in the resume. I
got a bad reputation for recommending against
applicants who were hired then later fired for
incompetence. Eventually they stopped asking me to
interview applicants. Maybe it was because I would say,
"Nyah, nyah. Told ya so!"

--
Michael Press
Old October 20th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 20, 12:12 pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
.com
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

There are also people who are stellar at interviews and then terrible
employees (and vice versa). I wonder what the correlation is between
a good interview and a good employee. That would be an interesting
thesis.

For Tom and still me, the deal with residency requirements is that
they cannot be unreasonable. A state university can charge higher
tuition for out of state residents, but I am not sure if it can
legally exclude out-of-staters altogether. There are a zillion cases
on what universities can and can't do in the admissions process -- and
lawyers who handle those cases for a living. I am not one of them --
thank God. -- Jay Beattie.

Old October 20th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
.com
,

Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

I treated applicant interviews as work. We were both
there doing a job. I was not there to be entertained
or sold to. I was there to work and assess the
applicant's work. I am mostly immune to people who
interview well.

--
Michael Press