New KH Hub, defective??

Old September 6th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Det-riot

Default New KH Hub, defective??

Jerrick wrote:
But Koxx doesnt suck, so stick with them.

i am, i just thought id like to try moments, and if i get them for just
shipping cost whats the harm?

(cept my hub a little, but i think it'll be fine)

--
Det-riot

Ducttape wrote:
sounds like he toook a feild trip to jail.... DON'T DROP THE SOAP
DUDE!!!

KOXX-ONE* DOES NOT* SUCK!!!!
'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
'1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
_*UNICYCLE_FOR_DONUTS!!!!*_
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I can't really tell. The uni seems to ride fine. But I want to know
anyway. If anyone figures out a good way to check for this with a built
wheel, let us know !
I'll think about it a while. Maybe the easiest way will be to pull
the cranks and then hold them together to see if the splines line up.
Or maybe rotate one crank to line up with the other, and rest a
straight edge on a table and stick it through the spokes.....

Hopefully this a very rare problem. Yet production line items are
usually made with a jig. Maybe there are thousands........
I feel bad for Kris if thats the case. Yet shouldn't only one crank
need to be replaced ?
I look forward to reading from Kris about this. Hopefully this is an
isolated thing. If it were really wide spread, you would of thought it
would have been noticed before. Yet, on a built uni, it is not so
apparent then as a separate hub.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Take one crank off, put it the same way as the other crank... take a
picture...

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

I just checked my set up and they are also defective. I got them so long
ago aebikes will not let me return them =(.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P JOHNNY HART[/b]
[b]R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG

Ducttape wrote:
not gonna show you it tonight becasue I am going to play with it until I
go to bed to get it just right.........

*Before you type that message telling what I did was wrong click 'this'
(http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko) abd be worry free! So every body can shut!*
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

I'll have a KH 24" with this crankset when it comes on Friday. It was
originally built last winter with the earlier batches of this cycle.
Hopefully it was built prior to this issue. Glad to see Kris handling
this properly, professionally, quickly and honestly...really says a lot
about the guy

keep up the good work

--
mouse
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

Are the hubs fine? If so I will lace mine up and get replacement cranks.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Borgschulze wrote:
Take one crank off, put it the same way as the other crank... take a
picture...

Without taking all the spokes off and laying the hub on a table (I
think I am to busy), a picture won't discern more then my eyeballs can
see now.
I can't really tell, just looking at the uni. It looks straight or a
little crooked depending how I squint.
One of us must come up with a good way to check for this, without
serious wrenching.
I will take an ignorant guess, that a batch of cranks, lefts or
rights, is off. I have a blind hunch that it is unlikely that this will
be a very rare problem. There is hope that after setting up the
production jig, some of the early "test parts" somehow made it out the
door. As likely, I guesstimate, that hundreds of these things may have
escaped. That a whole run was produced and shipped.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UAC

feel the light wrote:
Without taking all the spokes off and laying the hub on a table (I think
I am to busy), a picture won't discern more then my eyeballs can see
now.
I can't really tell, just looking at the uni. It looks straight or a
little crooked depending how I squint.
One of us must come up with a good way to check for this, without
serious wrenching.
I will take an ignorant guess, that a batch of cranks, lefts or
rights, is off. I have a blind hunch that it is unlikely that this will
be a very rare problem. There is hope that after setting up the
production jig, some of the early "test parts" somehow made it out the
door. As likely, I guesstimate, that hundreds of these things may have
escaped. That a whole run was produced and shipped.

It should be not so difficult to tell if the cranks are miss-aligned
even in case of a built wheel!
1. Find two flat topped chairs of the same height
2. Remove the wheel-set from the frame
3. Remove on of the cranks and put it in line with the other
4. Place the chairs one next to the other on a flat surface leaving a
gap between them...place the wheel on the cranks in between the chairs
5. Take a conclusion...

I have all 3 KHs with Moment hubs. After seeing this thread I was
curious to check mine. Right from the first attentive glances I found
out the same problem on my KH20 and KH24 On my KH29 I have the
double-hole cranks but not checked 'em yet. For me now only eye
inspecting is enough to tell...

I never noticed this issue until now...and can tell that it should not
affect riding at all. However it's sad this problem survived to this
extent! Lately, I'm not surprised such things happen...

It's not the designer's fault but the manufacturer's...they have to
grow up!

Flaviu

--
UAC

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"
(Saint Augustine)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

Looks like this post has started a whole wave of crank scrutiny, or a
"KH crank-gate" of sorts. Maybe its time for Kris Holm or Darren
Bedford or John at UDC to weigh in on this before we go nuts trying to
measure the misalignment (tho I personally like the kitchen chair
method!) What constitutes defective?? 1/8", 1/4" or 1/2" of offset?

I objected to the defect based on principle and I found a way to
measure it.
How bout you guys riding on the defective cranks for 30 days, 6 months
or a year?? Did you notice any difference before you got out the
kitchen chairs? loss of efficiency, control or anything at all wrong?

Uni riding engineers sound off? Is this a big deal or just the raving
of several dozen demented guys on one wheel.

Brycer1968

--
brycer1968
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 6th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

The way I observed the problem was to remove one crank and put it back
on aligned with other crank, (like a kangaroo cycle). Then rotate the
wheel to line a crank up with the frame fork. The other crank should
then be in line with the fork as well. See if there is a difference.

I have felt this wheel from day one (july) seemed harder to idle on, it
took some practice for me to learn ride backwards again on. It's the
same size wheel I replaced. I did go from from 160 cotterless to 165
splined, but had used 170 cranks in the pass, and found longer cranks
easy to idle with.

As an experiment this morning, I purposly offset one crank one spline
from it's normal posistion and tried to ride the unicycle. It felt
impossible to ride. Being one spline off is much much more than the
alignment problem, but it does demonsrate sensitivity.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... I say it's a great exercise. They say it's a mid-life thing.
http://www.usenet.com