Helmets: yes or no.

Old September 20th 13, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

Default Helmets: yes or no.

Are there any cyclists on here who have a good word to say for the idea
of legislating to make cyclists wear helmets?

And how many of us try to wear them all the time? I usually wear mine.
Very occasionally don't, usually on cycle trails rather than the road.
However, my vote would be against legislation.

Brian.
Old September 20th 13, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
news
Are there any cyclists on here who have a good word to say for the idea of
legislating to make cyclists wear helmets?

And how many of us try to wear them all the time? I usually wear mine.
Very occasionally don't, usually on cycle trails rather than the road.
However, my vote would be against legislation.

I don't wear mine all the time but I probably should.

I think helmet wearing should be encouraged but am not sure about making it
compulsory. People should be better educated about the benefits of wearing
brain protection. Brains are difficult to fix if physically damaged.
That's a fact.

Old September 21st 13, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:37:54 +0100, brianrob1961 wrote:

Are there any cyclists on here who have a good word to say for the idea
of legislating to make cyclists wear helmets?

And how many of us try to wear them all the time? I usually wear mine.
Very occasionally don't, usually on cycle trails rather than the road.
However, my vote would be against legislation.

Brian.

Helmets yes. Legislation no.
Old September 21st 13, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 20/09/2013 19:17, John Benn wrote:
"brianrob1961" wrote in message
news
Are there any cyclists on here who have a good word to say for the idea of
legislating to make cyclists wear helmets?

And how many of us try to wear them all the time? I usually wear mine.
Very occasionally don't, usually on cycle trails rather than the road.
However, my vote would be against legislation.

I don't wear mine all the time but I probably should.

I think helmet wearing should be encouraged but am not sure about making it
compulsory. People should be better educated about the benefits of wearing
brain protection. Brains are difficult to fix if physically damaged.
That's a fact.

I've had at least two instances where a helmet probably saved me from
serious injury or death. One was on ice where I landed on the side of my
head with the full weight of me and my bike behind the impact. I saw
stars even through my helmet. The worst though was making the mistake of
riding along a disused canal towpath in shorts and making the decision
to stop to avoid some nettles a bit too late. I put my foot down, missed
the edge and ended up falling 4 feet or so into the sludge that was left
in the bottom of the cut. I must have looked like the creature from the
swamp when I emerged. It was only when I got home that a friend pointed
out a large bruise on my forehead that must have come about in the
second or so that I was under the 'water'. I can't say for certain that
my helmet saved me from a worse injury, but I wouldn't like to repeat
the experience to find out. Unconscious and face down in water and
sludge with the nearest person about a quarter of a mile away is not a
good situation to be.

I don't know how true it is that where helmet use has been enforced
cycling has reduced in popularity. That would be my worry. Cycling in
general saves lives by improving health and I wouldn't want to put
people off getting on a saddle. If you restrict cyclists with too many
laws you also start to reduce the very appeal of the sport, the sense of
freedom that motorists so resent up having.

It's a hard one, but on balance I would not support legislation and we
have to remember the true agenda of the people who do support it: they
have no interest in out well being and simply want to stop us riding. If
they were ever in a position to achieve their aim they would simply move
onto another target.
Old September 21st 13, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:03:23 +0100
brianrob1961 wrote:

I've had at least two instances where a helmet probably saved me from
serious injury or death.

You certainly show evidence of someone who has suffered head trauma.

Old September 21st 13, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Saturday, 21 September 2013 12:43:15 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:37:54 +0100, brianrob1961 wrote:

Are there any cyclists on here who have a good word to say for the idea

of legislating to make cyclists wear helmets?

And how many of us try to wear them all the time? I usually wear mine.

Very occasionally don't, usually on cycle trails rather than the road.

However, my vote would be against legislation.

Brian.

Helmets yes. Legislation no.

but surely as humans on Earth we should expose our heads to the sun when available. I feel it is beneficial to my immune response and mineral turnover to expose my body and head to the sun. In my state of disease I feel it is not in order for me to cover up and I don't cover my head except to stave off the cold of night.
Old September 21st 13, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Saturday, 21 September 2013 13:03:23 UTC+1, brianrob1961 wrote:

I've had at least two instances where a helmet probably saved me from
serious injury or death. One was on ice where I landed on the side of my
head with the full weight of me and my bike behind the impact. I saw
stars even through my helmet. The worst though was making the mistake of
riding along a disused canal towpath in shorts and making the decision
to stop to avoid some nettles a bit too late. I put my foot down, missed
the edge and ended up falling 4 feet or so into the sludge that was left
in the bottom of the cut. I must have looked like the creature from the
swamp when I emerged. It was only when I got home that a friend pointed
out a large bruise on my forehead that must have come about in the
seond or so that I was under the 'water'. I can't say for certain that
my helmet saved me from a worse injury, but I wouldn't like to repeat
the experience to find out. Unconscious and face down in water and
sludge with the nearest person about a quarter of a mile away is not a
good situation to be.

Your fears are unfounded. Eat butter, greens and fruits and don't fear the nettles.

I don't know how true it is that where helmet use has been enforced
cycling has reduced in popularity. That would be my worry. Cycling in
general saves lives by improving health

well it encourages a healthy way in one's life but it does not in itself improve health.

and I wouldn't want to put
people off getting on a saddle. If you restrict cyclists with too many

the naming, Cyclist, is itself restricting by dividing the population into distinct sides. there is also the primary legal meaning behind the term which is why I avoid its use except when strictly required due to the characterisation of persons so as to infer a guilt tye in the legal domain.

laws you also start to reduce the very appeal of the sport, the sense of
freedom that motorists so resent up having.

your free-domain is illusionary, it's just that registered drivers and registered vehicles are tightly bound by legislation.

Old September 22nd 13, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:33:10 -0700, thirty-six wrote:

[...]

Agreed that helmets can cause harm.
However you do not need much exposure of your head (or any other part of
your body) to the sun in order to get the benefits you claim.
About 10 minutes a day in full sunlight (or proportionately more when
cloudy etc) should be enough.
Old September 22nd 13, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

[...]

I have fallen off my bike I think 3 times in the last 30 years.
One time I rode into a low wire fence. Straight over the handlebars, top
of head on pavement. But low speed.
Second time, on a lovely path through the woods. Unfortunately it had
been raining, and ahead there was slick mud. No time to slow down,
slid, onto the side of my head.
3rd time, slipped and tripped when getting off bike. Straight onto my
shoulder and cheekbone.
On none of these occasions was I wearing a helmet.
I have heard the story "If it wasn't for my helmet I would be dead"
hundreds of times.
Far more times than ever there were deaths of bicyclists before helmet-
wearing became widespread.
Old September 22nd 13, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Sunday, 22 September 2013 09:06:02 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
[...]

experience shows it can take between 15 minutes and 45 minutes for me to warm up. I've had 40 years of corn oil and it seem eventually I could take no more of the nasty stuff, also probable coeliac amd I'm getting two or three work-overs a day without any gluten . Elderberries seem particularly penetrating above other fruits and berries. I'm hoping for the sun to come out tomorrow, I've kept some berries to have first.