Another cyclist killed

Old August 14th 03, 12:09 PM
Uphill DownHill

Default Another cyclist killed

I wonder what the outcome of this will be.

http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

Old August 14th 03, 01:13 PM
Steve

Uphill DownHill wrote in message ...
I wonder what the outcome of this will be.
http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

I do wish these reports included a short comment about how the *accident*
happened, so the rest of us could be made more aware of how *not* to cycle
in a group.

Such as .. was he at the back of the group? front of the group? riding
alongside another (or more) riders? on a narrow winding road? after dark
with no lights? In a dark section of road with lots of tree cover after
coming from bright sunshine? [[ That always worries me ]].

Old August 14th 03, 02:27 PM
Steve

JohnB wrote in message ...
However there is more information over on veloriders with
a report by someone who was a witness.
http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5236

Well ... It was just the same as the other news report. Nothing to describe
how it happened (without apportioning blame).

Reading those forums I now now know why I HATE avtars on forums. One in
particular there, totally inappropriate.

Old August 14th 03, 02:48 PM
JohnB

Steve wrote:

JohnB wrote in message ...
However there is more information over on veloriders with
a report by someone who was a witness.
http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5236

Well ... It was just the same as the other news report. Nothing to describe
how it happened (without apportioning blame).

It would be wrong to.

Reading those forums I now now know why I HATE avtars on forums. One in
particular there, totally inappropriate.

Which one?

John B

Old August 14th 03, 03:38 PM
Digweed .. ;\)

Uphill DownHill tried to scribble ...

I wonder what the outcome of this will be.

http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

Depends what you mean by 'the outcome' .. It seems to me that someone is
dead, how much more sad or tragic an 'outcome' do you want ?

--
Digweed

Old August 14th 03, 03:47 PM
Dan

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:38:57 +0100, "Digweed .. ;\)"
wrote:

Uphill DownHill tried to scribble ...

I wonder what the outcome of this will be.

http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

Depends what you mean by 'the outcome' .. It seems to me that someone is
dead, how much more sad or tragic an 'outcome' do you want ?

Legislation against bikes on the road? Against cars on the roads?
Against riding in big groups? That's how I read him.

--
- Orange Patriot -03
Old August 14th 03, 03:52 PM
Digweed .. ;\)

Dan tried to scribble ...

wrote:

Uphill DownHill tried to scribble ...

I wonder what the outcome of this will be.

http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

Depends what you mean by 'the outcome' .. It seems to me that
someone is dead, how much more sad or tragic an 'outcome' do you
want ?

Legislation against bikes on the road? Against cars on the roads?
Against riding in big groups? That's how I read him.

Could be .. but as the circumstances aren't known, at least from this
report, an 'outcome' could mean just about anything.

--
Digweed

Old August 14th 03, 04:37 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

And, alas, another. This time a child.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3151271.stm

"Child cyclist dies in coach accident

A young girl has been killed in a road accident in Ipswich.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said the girl, who has not been named, was riding a
bicycle which was involved in a collision with a coach.

The accident happened at around 1230 BST on Landseer Road between Raeburn Road
and Reynolds Road.

Police have closed Landseer Road and set up diversions for motorists while
officers at the scene investigate the cause of the accident."

No other details given. Every parent's worst nightmare, I think. Children
aren't supposed to go before their parents. :-(

helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old August 14th 03, 11:55 PM
MarkK

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" wrote in message
And, alas, another. This time a child.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3151271.stm

"Child cyclist dies in coach accident

A young girl has been killed in a road accident in Ipswich.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said the girl, who has not been named, was

riding a
bicycle which was involved in a collision with a coach.

The accident happened at around 1230 BST on Landseer Road between Raeburn

Road
and Reynolds Road.

Police have closed Landseer Road and set up diversions for motorists while
officers at the scene investigate the cause of the accident."

No other details given. Every parent's worst nightmare, I think. Children
aren't supposed to go before their parents. :-(

helen s

Nasty. This is a mile from where I live. I have few details of the accident,
but I can say that Landseer Rd is a busy 30mph-limited single carriageway
urban route into the docks and centre of Ipswich, with lots of HGV and bus
as well as car traffic. The section concerned has council housing on both
sides, and is regularly crossed by children going to the local park, etc.
There are traffic islands at Reynolds Rd and a zebra crossing just beyond
Raeburn Rd. I use the road fairly regularly and don't recall seeing small
children cycling along it often.

The coach was going west, towards the town centre. It appeared to be rather
old (someone I know passed the scene), so its mechanical condition may have
been a factor. Pure speculation, though.

Mark

Old August 14th 03, 11:59 PM
Ian

MarkK must be edykated coz e writed:

[...]

As a parent, and one of my two daughters is indeed 5 years old, I find this
very distressing, my thoughts and prayers go out to the girls parents.

Ian