Look what I found

Old February 2nd 05, 12:51 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

Default Look what I found

What's this, could it be...?!
http://www.binsearch.info/?q=wendel&max=25&adv_age=7&m=

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old February 2nd 05, 02:04 PM
Beavis

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
What's this, could it be...?!
http://www.binsearch.info/?q=wendel&max=25&adv_age=7&m=

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

How do you use it???

Old February 2nd 05, 02:38 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 2 Feb 2005 05:04:02 -0800, Beavis wrote:
http://www.binsearch.info/?q=wendel&max=25&adv_age=7&m=

How do you use it???

I use it by having an ISP that has a binary news server, from which I
can download using a binary news reader like Grabit (free but some
quirks in newest version), Newsleecher (shareware, best client but site
down) or Newsbinpro (shareware). Others subscribe to a pay server like
Giganews or Supernews.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old February 2nd 05, 06:20 PM
Beavis

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On 2 Feb 2005 05:04:02 -0800, Beavis wrote:
http://www.binsearch.info/?q=wendel&max=25&adv_age=7&m=

How do you use it???

I use it by having an ISP that has a binary news server, from which I
can download using a binary news reader like Grabit (free but some
quirks in newest version), Newsleecher (shareware, best client but

site
down) or Newsbinpro (shareware). Others subscribe to a pay server

like
Giganews or Supernews.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

I'm sorry if i was unlcear, what i meant was how would I use that,
assuming those are vids of st. wendel.

Old February 2nd 05, 06:32 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 2 Feb 2005 09:20:21 -0800, Beavis wrote:
I'm sorry if i was unlcear, what i meant was how would I use that,
assuming those are vids of st. wendel.

It's VCD format video file inside a multi-file RAR archive. Use Unrar to
unpack. Google.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old February 2nd 05, 09:14 PM
The Baron du Mass

Yay! Problem is, both my crappy ISPs have no binary news servers.
sbcglobal.net (DSL) doesn't offer them, and ku.edu (employer) recently
decommissioned theirs, so while I can get the newsreaders, I can't
access the files in the groups. I'm shut out!

Anyone have any suggestions? Downloading the .avi or .mpegs, of
course, was just fine--my Mac will play Windows Media files, too, but
I've only got the two ISP possibilities for newsgroups, AFAICT.

Ewoud, you've made the winter quite enjoyable with the files you've
provided to date, so thanks and thanks again for your time and effort!
Cheers,

Eric

Old February 2nd 05, 11:07 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On 2 Feb 2005 12:14:37 -0800, "The Baron du Mass" wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions?

I use Giganews so that my newsreader access, digital or otherwise, is
independent of where I access the files. Reasonable enough for the
amount they retain. Plenty of server choices.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 3rd 05, 03:24 AM
Jesse T

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

On 2 Feb 2005 12:14:37 -0800, "The Baron du Mass" wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions?

I use Giganews so that my newsreader access, digital or otherwise, is
independent of where I access the files. Reasonable enough for the
amount they retain. Plenty of server choices.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Here's some more detail:

http://www.giganews.com

$12 gets you 10gigs of usenet downloads per month. The cyclocross
worlds is about 700M, so you have plenty of room left in the month for
extras. Their retention should have all the other cross races someone
posted over the last month or so.

I can DL from Giganews' servers at over 300Kb/s, completely maxing out a
cable connection. 20 minutes to grab Worlds?

alt.binaries.multimedia.sports is where someone posted the Worlds a few
days ago, labeled "St Wendel".

I'm on OSX , so I use a binary newsreader called Unison. Works good.
Free for a few weeks. MacPAR deluxe will unpack all the files you pull
down from Giganews. Google will find you all these things.

Thank you mystery man! Sure would be nice if someone kept doing this
through the Spring Classics for the things that OLN won't cover... One
can only hope. Five hours of Flanders? Unimaginable for us over here.

And thanks for the whole cross season, it's been great to see finally.
You've made a bunch of people really happy.
Old February 3rd 05, 09:10 AM
Donald Munro

http://www.usenet.com/signup.cfm
http://www.newsfeeds.com/signup.htm
http://www.binaries.net/signup.htm
Old February 7th 05, 07:12 AM
Bret

I was new to this too, but found that Earthlink has access to the the
binary groups at no extra charge. I was able to use Grabit 1.5.1 to
download all the different parts in one operation and then WinRAR 3.4.2
to extract the MPG file. It was all very easy considering I had no idea
what I was doing. Thanks "Ed".

Bret