Red Menace 36 update

Old November 28th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Default Red Menace 36 update

chuckaeronut;1139021 wrote:
Hahahahahaaa, riiight :-p

Yeah, I'd love to come up some time. Pretty much as soon as I get my
motorcycle frame augmented to hold my uni rack. Then I can do an
Ironbutt ride and another half an ironbutt the day after, and I'll be in
Washington! Ugh, that'll be a long ride. But it'll be sooo cheap! About
$60 worth of gas to get to Seattle from San Diego!

What if it was in mid to late December? Is that enough time? Hopefully
Joe's healing up well... the sooner he can ride, the better. I bet he
misses it...

I have family all around the Seattle area, and in Spokane, and some
other places as well, so I could make it a quadruple whammy trip, with
some 2-wheelin', one-wheelin' and family-seein'... and hopefully some
mega-geared one-wheelin' too

Edit: w00t, 300th post!!

maestro8;1139027 wrote:
Hey Chuck, y'know Corbin got a Prius, and that got us to SD and back for
only about $50 in gas. We should all pile into that thing and do an
extended weekend in Seattle, eh?

Depending on if you guys don't mind cramming into a few tents in my
yard and taking me up along with you when you leave I can provide a rest
point in Portland on the way up and back. I've always wanted to see the
Red menace in Action.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old November 29th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

chuckaeronut;1138957 wrote:
Would it be possible to make it be able to disengage the jackshaft
drivetrain and re-engage a 1-1 lock-in to make the cranks lock directly
to the hub, to enable shifting between 1:1 and whatever gear ratio is
selected? Seeing how the Schlumpf hub shifts its drive plate thing back
and forth between the planet carrier and the hub housing, I don't see
why it wouldn't be possible with this design, either, but I could be
missing something important. To make this shiftable back to 1:1 would be
absolutely epic.

And UniSk8r, though I don't know your name (my name is Chuck, btw ),
would it be possible for me to come to Redmond some time to ride your
unicycle? I don't know offhand when I'd be free to come up, but I
really, really, REALLY would like to, if you'd let me. I've been wanting
for quite some time now to ride something geared higher than 1.5, and
this looks, quite frankly, amazing.

To make it shift on the fly would involve machining a keyway into the
through-axle, so that a pin of some kind could lock the axle to the hub
shell. That same "pin of some kind" would also lock the hub sprocket to
the hub shell. It would be an either-or engagement, similar to Schlumpf.
But at the moment, with the chain system I can't envision how to
disengage the jackshaft from the cranks, even when the hub is locked in
1:1 mode. In other words, in direct mode the hub sprocket would simply
turn freely on the hub shell (at whatever the gear ratio happens to
be).

The 6 current available ratios a 0.83 (20t/22t underdrive), 1.00
(20/20), 1.22 (22/20), 1.44 (24/20), 1.67 (26/20), and 1.96 (28/20).
Takes about 15 minutes to disassemble, change the ratio, and
re-assemble.

Yes, it's here in my shed waiting to be ridden more!
Pete

--
unisk8r
Old November 29th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

By the way, past inventors have utilized a jackshaft approach, such as
Keith Macay of the UK. I merely refined the design.

|Filename: Guni.KeithMacay.jpg |

unisk8r
Old November 30th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

The more I look at the options, I think this is the sort of GUni I'd
like. What it lacks in ready availability it gains in maintainability.
What it lacks in push-button shifting it gains in flexible gearing
options.

Any advice on how to go about building or getting the more intricate
bits of something like this built? If one wanted to commission a build
like this would Dave Stockton still be the guy to go to?

--
boisei
Old November 30th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

boisei;1140679 wrote:
If one wanted to commission a build like this would Dave Stockton still
be the guy to go to?

Hrm, apparently not.

"11 May 2008 -- LiveWire Unicycles is on hold indefinitely and not
taking orders. Thanks for your understanding!"

--
boisei
Old November 30th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

unisk8r;1140065 wrote:
By the way, past inventors have utilized a jackshaft approach, such as
Keith Macay of the UK. I merely refined the design.

For the record, I think he is from Australia, and his last name is
spelled McKay.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 1st 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerdog

And shamefully copied by me.

[image:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h.../100_1922.jpg]

--
dangerdog

once I was young and stupid....that was some time ago
Old July 28th 20, 06:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

On Saturday, August 26, 2006 at 8:53:05 PM UTC-7, unisk8r wrote:
Well, after being distracted with non-uni projects all Summer, I finally
decided a few weeks ago to finish my final design version of The Red
Menace. It has a choice of 5 different gear ratios using common
bicycle granny rings. The transmission is my smoothest version yet.
Less chain tension and no crank play whatsoever. And a Hope Mono disc
brake setup, chosen specifically because the Mono had a reputation as a
sucky bike disc, and true to form, works just wonderfully on the 36"
wheel with no grabbing and great modulation. The paint is a red fading
slightly to brighter on the top. The only part remaining to be added
is the super-secret custom road saddle, in red snakeskin, from the
world's finest saddle maker.

|Filename: 36RedMenace.v4.SideRight.jpg |

unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

This sounds awesome, but the link is broken. So, could you please re-post the pic? I'm curious how your transmission worked.