“Professional bike thief driver” behind “One man crime wave” in London jailed for two years

Old November 17th 20, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default “Professional bike thief driver” behind “One man crime wave” in London jailed for two years

A tailgating scum driver as well.
QUOTE:
A judge who jailed a man for a series of thefts of bicycles across London, among other offences, described him as a “professional bike thief” and a one man crime wave as he passed sentence on him.

Francis Graham, aged 26 and of Hunter Street, WC1 was sentenced yesterday at Inner London Crown Court after admitting five counts of cycle theft, five counts of commercial burglary and one count of theft from a motor vehicle.

He had denied all the charges at an earlier hearing on 24 September, and when interviewed by police denied that he was the man captured on CCTV footage stealing a bike. However, he admitted all the offences after being presented with what was described as “overwhelming additional CCTV and DNA evidence spanning a variety of incidents.”

Graham was sentenced to 12 months’ imprisonment on the five counts of burglary, each running concurrently, and eight months for the four counts of theft and one count of theft from motor vehicle, to run consecutively to the burglary counts.

He was also sentenced to a further four months in jail for breaching a suspended sentence, bringing the total term to two years, and has been made subject to a five-year Criminal Behaviour Order was also granted.

Bike locks: how to choose and use the best lock to protect your bike

His Honour Judge Davies, sentencing, said “You were a one man crime wave stealing in a sophisticated way.

“You tailgated residents into areas to which you didn’t have access, removing decent locks and taking bicycles.

“What happened afterwards remains a mystery. How much you got for them and who benefits from them, where they are now remains a mystery.

“It causes upset and stress to lose a bicycle, taking into account the cost of them. They are expensive. These were not toys, they were used for commuting. One was stolen from a hospital worker from a secure compound.

“These offences are aggravated by your previous convictions, which are many. Your previous convictions are around theft of bicycles.

“You are a professional bike thief,” he added. “In my judgement these offences are so serious that only a custodial sentence is justified.”

PC Aleksander Hancock, of the Met’s South West Burglary and Robbery Investigation Team, commented: “For many people living and working in London, cycling is their only form of transport.

“The inconvenience and upset caused by Graham in helping himself to the property of so many victims simply cannot be measured.

“I am pleased that the efforts of my team, and our police colleagues at City of London, have afforded Londoners a well-earned rest from Graham’s criminal activities.

“The lasting effects of becoming a victim of theft often last far beyond the replacement of the stolen items. Graham will have time to reflect on this as he serves his sentence.”

Chief Superintendent Steve Heatley, of the City of London Police, added: “Our force takes cycle theft very seriously and we won’t tolerate it in the City.

“With more people cycling to work during the coronavirus pandemic, it presents more opportunities for thieves and we have responded accordingly, working with our MPS colleagues and implementing specific tactics to identify and catch these criminals – and return the bikes to their owners.

“This was a good result, and thanks to our keen-eyed officers who spotted Graham in the act, he has been brought to justice for his numerous offences.”

The full list of charges laid against Graham is as follows:

Theft from motor vehicle at Baches Street, Hackney on 29 October 2019
Commercial burglary at Queenshurst Square, Kingston on 29 November 2019
Theft of pedal cycle from a shop at Richmond Road, Kingston on 6 December 2019
Theft of pedal cycle at Broom Road, Richmond on 6 December 2019
Commercial burglary at Shepherds Bush Road, W6 on 13 December 2019
Commercial burglary at Kensal Road, W10 on 17 December 2019
Commercial burglary at Church Road, Teddington on 30 January
Theft of pedal cycle at St Bartholemews Hospital, on 10 July
Commercial burglary at Woods Road, SE15, on 10 July
Theft of pedal cycle at Heygate Street, SE17 on 4 August
Theft of pedal cycle at Cheapside, EC2 on 23 September (sentence pending).

Last week we reported on another big success for police against the capital’s bike thieves – with City of London Police making three arrests and recovering 60 stolen bikes after a bait bike equipped with GPS tracking was traced to a business premises in Tower Hamlets.

https://road.cc/content/news/one-man...o-years-278815
Old November 18th 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 17/11/2020 17:21, wrote:

[...]

There is no mention of any driving offence - nor even of any driving -
above.

The offender is described (in any terms) only as a criminal cyclist.
Old November 18th 20, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 5:21:04 PM UTC, wrote:
A tailgating scum driver as well.

Another three toerags nabbed here.
QUOTE:

Bait bike leads police to massive stolen bike stash.
The theft of a bait bike equipped with a GPS tracker led to officers from City of London Police discovering a further 60 stolen bikes worth up to £5,000 each.

Police tracked the bike, stolen last Wednesday, to a business premises in Tower Hamlets, London E1, where they arrested three men aged 26, 29 and 53 years.

They are now trying to trace the owners of the bikes that they recovered.

The force says that it has seen a “slight but steady rise in bicycle thefts” in the Square Mile, with increasing numbers of City workers switching to two wheels for their commutes as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Three men have been arrested and 60 bicycles suspected of being stolen have been recovered, as the City of London Police crackdown on cycle thieves across the Square Mile.

As a result, officers have been focusing on tackling bike theft, including through uniformed and plain clothes patrols at hotspots in the area, as well as employing decoy bikes.

The operation to date has resulted in more than 10 arrests as well as the recovery of more than 80 bicycles, some of which have been returned to their owners (with one such reunion pictured below) – in one case, within three hours of it being stolen, with three arrests made in connection with the theft.

Officers also pursued and caught one man after they saw him he attempting to steal a bike in the City. The man, Francis Graham, aged 26, was charged with 11 offences and will be sentenced later this month.

Police have also seized equipment such as bolt cutters and angle grinders typically used by thieves to steal bikes, and have also encouraged cyclists to come to bike marking events held at various locations in the City.

Chief Superintendent Steve Heatley said: “We know that having a bike stolen can be devastating for cyclists, many of whom cherish their bike and may have spent hundreds, if not thousands of pounds on it.

“With more people cycling into the City, it presents more opportunities for thieves, as they look to target people who have only recently started cycling because of the pandemic and may not know the best ways to secure their bike.

“That said, please be reassured that we take cycle theft very seriously and won’t tolerate it in the City.

“We have had some successes in the past few months as a result of our ongoing efforts, though we won’t let up and will continue to deploy our officers and use specific tactics to combat cycle theft.

“We’ll also be continuing to share our key prevention messages, as well as hosting more education and awareness sessions across the Square Mile, the details of which will be shared across our social media channels.”

As we reported earlier today, the Metropolitan Police, which covers the capital outside the City of London, has teamed up with Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and Transport for London (TfL) to encourage people to learn how to keep their bicycles secure.

The initiative also enables people who complete TfL’s free online Cycle Skills course (link is external) to benefit from a 15 per cent discount on cycle safety accessories from Halfords, including the retailer’s own range of locks.

https://road.cc/content/news/bait-bi...e-stash-278627