Near Miss of the Day 499: Driver cuts straight across cyclist at junction

Old November 15th 20, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Near Miss of the Day 499: Driver cuts straight across cyclist at junction

QUOTE:

Today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows the moment a driver who had pulled out of a side road across the path of a cyclist continued going straight ahead, even once she had seen the rider.

It was filmed in Pelton Road in East Grenwich by road.cc reader Ed, who said: "The car looks further away due to the wide angle, but the driver definitely saw me.

"I can't believe she not only didn't stop, but continued to drive across," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278761
Old November 15th 20, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/11/2020 17:22, wrote:

QUOTE:

Today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows the moment a driver who had pulled out of a side road across the path of a cyclist continued going straight ahead, even once she had seen the rider.

It was filmed in Pelton Road in East Grenwich by road.cc reader Ed, who said: "The car looks further away due to the wide angle, but the driver definitely saw me.

"I can't believe she not only didn't stop, but continued to drive across," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278761

Once "Ed" saw the driver pull out (right or wrong), why didn't he
ameliorate the situation by slowing down (whisper it: perhaps even
stopping) instead of continuing to charge towards it?

It's what any sensible *driver* (or cyclist) would do. I would certainly
have done so in the cyclist's position. What benefit accrues from
worsening the danger when it is so easily reduced or obviated?
Old November 15th 20, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/11/2020 17:47, JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2020 17:22, wrote:

QUOTE:

Today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows the moment a
driver who had pulled out of a side road across the path of a cyclist
continued going straight ahead, even once she had seen the rider.

It was filmed in Pelton Road in East Grenwich by road.cc reader Ed,
who said: "The car looks further away due to the wide angle, but the
driver definitely saw me.

"I can't believe she not only didn't stop, but continued to drive
across," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278761

Once "Ed" saw the driver pull out (right or wrong), why didn't he
ameliorate the situation by slowing down (whisper it: perhaps even
stopping) instead of continuing to charge towards it?

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge towards
it".

It's what any sensible *driver* (or cyclist) would do.
I would certainly
have done so in the cyclist's position. What benefit accrues from
worsening the danger when it is so easily reduced or obviated

Gosh. Are you next going to tell us how you would go about sucking an egg?
Old November 15th 20, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 7:41:27 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge towards
it".

Indeed - he pulled up and rode behind the idiot driver's car.
Of course, there was no apology from the law breaking motorist.
Typical.

Old November 16th 20, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/11/2020 20:37, wrote:
On Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 7:41:27 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge
towards it".

Indeed - he pulled up and rode behind the idiot driver's car. Of
course, there was no apology from the law breaking motorist.
Typical.

The law is good at defining red lines in in static situations but
completely incapable of doing so in dynamic ones. The best it can do in
such situations, had the cyclist come a cropper, would be to ask a jury
for an opinion of whether the act was careless.

Old November 16th 20, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/11/2020 17:22, wrote:

QUOTE:

Today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows the moment a
driver who had pulled out of a side road across the path of a cyclist
continued going straight ahead, even once she had seen the rider.

It was filmed in Pelton Road in East Grenwich by road.cc reader Ed,
who said: "The car looks further away due to the wide angle, but the
driver definitely saw me.

"I can't believe she not only didn't stop, but continued to drive
across," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-278761

Once "Ed" saw the driver pull out (right or wrong), why didn't he
ameliorate the situation by slowing down (whisper it: perhaps even
stopping) instead of continuing to charge towards it?

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge towards
it".

"We" can see no such thing. Sensible road-users would have slowed
dramatically and not gone anything like so near to the offending
vehicle". I would have stopped. Fr all your attempts at bluster, I
suspect that you would have don the same (especially if you were driving).

It's what any sensible *driver* (or cyclist) would do. I would
certainly have done so in the cyclist's position. What benefit accrues
from worsening the danger when it is so easily reduced or obviated

Gosh. Are you next going to tell us how you would go about sucking an egg?

That cyclist seems to need a few basic lessons in the consumption
techniques for dairy products.

Old November 16th 20, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/11/2020 20:37, wrote:
On Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 7:41:27 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge towards
it".

Indeed - he pulled up and rode behind the idiot driver's car.
Of course, there was no apology from the law breaking motorist.
Typical.

"Pull up" is normally taken to mean "stop".

Of course, stopping would have been the wisest and most rational
response to the situation. But the cyclist didn't do it.
Old November 16th 20, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 16/11/2020 09:41, JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2020 19:41, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2020 17:47, JNugent wrote:

Once "Ed" saw the driver pull out (right or wrong), why didn't he
ameliorate the situation by slowing down (whisper it: perhaps
even stopping) instead of continuing to charge towards it?

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge
towards it".

"We" can see no such thing.
Sensible road-users would...

Sensible road users take action avoid a crash. The clip shows a cyclist
avoiding a crash.

Fr all your attempts at bluster, I suspect that you would have don
the same (especially if you were driving).

Fr all your bluster, you don have a clue.
Old November 16th 20, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Sensible road users take action avoid a crash. The clip shows a cyclist
avoiding a crash.

Spot on. As there was no collision, the cyclist obviously coped with the idiot driver's reckless behaviour well enough.
Old November 16th 20, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 16/11/2020 10:50, TMS320 wrote:
On 16/11/2020 09:41, JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2020 19:41, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2020 17:47, JNugent wrote:

Once "Ed" saw the driver pull out (right or wrong), why didn't he
Â*ameliorate the situation by slowing down (whisper it: perhaps
even stopping) instead of continuing to charge towards it?

Well, we can see that the cyclist slowed down and didn't "charge
towards it".

"We" can see no such thing.
Sensible road-users would...

Sensible road users take action avoid a crash. The clip shows a cyclist
avoiding a crash.

Fr all your attempts at bluster, I suspect that you would have don
the same (especially if you were driving).

Fr all your bluster, you don have a clue.

So you wouldn't have slowed or stopped and you would have ploughed into
the side of the other car.

Sorry I misjudged you.