Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Old November 26th 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 09:02:18 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 5:43:37 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 18:43:00 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/25/2020 5:26 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 14:35:21 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Did my 25 mile 1900 feet of climbing ride on the steel bike. Actually couldn't tell any difference between it and the Trek Emonda other than the Di2 was a little maladjusted. Weight difference ready to ride was around 5 lbs. My look is 16 lbs before bottle and flat kit. Frank will tell us that a flat kit shouldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces but of course he doesn't count his frame pump. Also he probably rides with his water bottle empty And then snivels like a little child that isn't allow another cookie when I show the actual weight of these things.

Tommy, I hate to tell you but nobody who is anybody still carries a
frame pump. A couple of years ago I rode over part of the same course
as the Laguna Phuket Triathlon bike portion was run and it was
noticeable that none of them were carrying a frame pump.

No one carries a frame pump _ while racing_.
Lots of us carry frame pumps.

Yes, and I know some guys still riding with "toe cages" and wooden
soled shoes and, believe it or not, some are still riding around on
single speed bicycles. Can you imagine? Not only no electric shift,
but no shift at all :-)

Must you always prove that you're a moron? Anyone that is touring carries a frame pump and they are a fixture on all long distance bikes with handlebar bags. But you having no riding ability at all shoot your stupid mouth off for the fun of it. When you are stupid stop demonstrating it to so many people.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...702&size=large
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics...G_0535.JPG?v=0
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...6D#pic_1714340
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 26th 20, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I took a "frame pump" to mean something like a Zefal HP, a pump a person
could use to credibly threaten a beagle or raccoon (never mind a
rottweiler or mountain lion), not a twee thing clipped to a bottle cage
or lost in a jersey pocket. The latter sort seem more popular these
days, maybe because the frames have changed.

Yah, me too. It's years since I carried a big Zefal -- which is what think of when I hear "frame pump" -- but I do carry a mini pump about 12in long in the corner between the downtube and the water bottle, only for pumping up the tyres of cycling companions as it is well over twenty years since I last pumped up a tyre on my own bike on the road. Switching over to armoured Schwalbe tyres has really worked out well for me, as in that time I've had only two flats, both caused by hitting discontinuities in the road at speed towards the end of the month when pressure in my tyres can be down to 1.5 bar, from the normal 2 bar and a tiny bit I put in with an SKS Rennkompressor garage/TdF pump on the first day of every month, more recently with an electric pump. I don't carry a spare tube because a touring tube for a Big Apple tyre is a real space hog, and my stamp sized patch kit is glueless and clueless and useless, so in both cases I called for a car to carry the bike and me home; in one case, where I took a header, I was too sore and bloody to continue, anyway, and in the other, not wanting to brake and perhaps lose control of the bike, after the double impact through a new pothole I slowed the bike from over fifty clicks by letting it run out up the next hill, ruining the tube beyond repair.

Andre Jute
If you aren't prepared to take the occasional fall, you should find a safer hobby than cycling.
Old November 27th 20, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

As Warm Showers hosts, we were once visited by a guy who toured by bike
carrying a floor pump.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 27th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I don’t tour with a frame pump.

Old November 27th 20, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Proof positive.
The frame pump is in that one bag next to the kitchen sink.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 27th 20, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

They used to make floor pumps with folding feet on them so that you could carry them on the old large bikes that passed as touring bikes. Some of the old rear racks had a hook near the bottom of the rack near the dropout that would hook into the lower end of the floor pump. By the time I started touring Zephal frame pumps were commonly available.
Old November 27th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_6_]

On 26/11/2020 18:40, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-6,
wrote:

snip

Returning to clincher tires with tubes of course I carry an old
fashion patch kit. On my road bikes on the local rides I carry CO2
inflators but wouldn't think of doing tours carrying CO2 instead of
a full size frame pump. I have my touring bike in the back yard and
a couple of frame pumps down in the garage. If you are using a
handlebar bag why would you not carry a frame pump. The old Zephal
HPX pumps will inflate the modern 25 or 28 mm tires promptly and
easily and if you are using them on a real touring bike with 32 mm
tires on them you can use Zephal FPX pumps designed for higher
volume

I carry CO2 but that can run out easy if not careful so I have a
small mini pump in the saddle. It will get the tires up to what I
need to get around. I just have a spare tube no patch kit I am not
going to patch on the road. Touring would require I might need to do
that but my idea of touring is probably not others. Deacon Mark

My preferred setup is a halfway decent mini pump[1] and spare tube.
Change out the tube and repair the old one overnight. Rinse and repeat.
Oh, and since I'm one of those "Presta" weirdos, a presta-scraeder
adaptor in case a petrol station hoves into sight :-)

[1] Yes I know, rocking horse ****, you can but hope.

Old November 27th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Gas stations now charge for air, and many use stand-alone, gutless compressors that couldn't fully inflate a HP bike tire. It's pitiful. Make Gas Stations Great Again!

I got a flat today riding with my son -- CO2 to the rescue. Five minute repair. It would have been two minutes, but I wanted to find what caused the flat, which I didn't. Checking the tube when I got home, it was a very distinct single hole, so I hit a nail or something else that went in and pulled out.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 28th 20, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Actually I was replying to the statement, "Anyone that is touring
carries a frame pump".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 28th 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

You were SO lucky! Just think if you had to manually pump and waste
another two minutes! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Thanksgiving Tom Kunich Racing 19 December 1st 08 09:50 PM
I'm on TV this Wednesday! MuniAddict Unicycling 18 April 17th 08 10:04 AM
Wednesday's SMH Jack Russell Australia 2 November 7th 07 07:13 AM
Thanksgiving??? Veloise Rides 0 November 10th 06 10:31 PM
F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. all on Thanksgiving Flying Elvis Mountain Biking 27 December 13th 04 02:33 AM