Current recommend for a helmet?

Old November 28th 20, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default Current recommend for a helmet?

Good afternoon all,

was just cleaning up when I picked up my bike helmet and one of the plastic bits just cracked in my hand. Guess it's time for a new one; especially when I look at it and see a 2008 manufacture date (do as I say not as I do.) Pretty sure it's a Trek "Vapor".

What to buy? It's not like I can just run down to my LBS and start trying them on, although if I knew what I wanted, I'm sure I could get it from them to toss them a little bit of business, but it's all curbside pickup and by appointment now.

Would like something well ventilated as I'm a damnyankee living south of the Mason-Dixon, so most of the year it's warmer already than I'd prefer. Affordable is a plus.

thanks for any advice.

Old November 29th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

N8N wrote:
Good afternoon all,

was just cleaning up when I picked up my bike helmet and one of the
plastic bits just cracked in my hand. Guess it's time for a new one;
especially when I look at it and see a 2008 manufacture date (do as I say
not as I do.) Pretty sure it's a Trek "Vapor".

What to buy? It's not like I can just run down to my LBS and start
trying them on, although if I knew what I wanted, I'm sure I could get it
from them to toss them a little bit of business, but it's all curbside
pickup and by appointment now.

Would like something well ventilated as I'm a damnyankee living south of
the Mason-Dixon, so most of the year it's warmer already than I'd prefer.
Affordable is a plus.

thanks for any advice.

First advice is “duck!”

Second is if the helmet that you had lasted 12 years and you can’t try new
ones, maybe the same model?

Old November 29th 20, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/29/2020 10:28 AM, Duane wrote:
N8N wrote:
[...]

Vaguely related: When should you replace your helmet?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/really-re...110001066.html

It's interesting that the only bit of the article alluding to relevant
data says this:

"... you don’t necessarily need to replace a well cared for helmet for
safety reasons alone, according to Swart. That recommendation is largely
based on research conducted by engineering firm MEA Forensic, which
found in tests of hundreds of helmets that age did not significantly
affect the performance of the protective foam in helmets up to 26 years
old."

And yet the article gives much more ink to "every five years."

(P.S. My cycling caps are holding up very well for much longer than that.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 29th 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

N8N wrote:
[...]

I don't know anything about age degradation and impact
resistance in helmets.

But plastics to indeed outgas and also degrade under UV[1]
such that while the manufacturer's "3 to 5 year" life may be
overly cautious, ten years is about it for buckles, visors etc.

Compare to vintage machines (bicycles in particular but cars
& motorcycles too) which may look fine and have
smooth-feeling bearings but the lubricants are shot and will
self-destruct in short order. Bicycle hubs do that as well
as classic car rear gear sets when run, after 40, 50, 60
years, without sufficient lubrication.

[1] and, I assume, other factors besides
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 29th 20, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 1:35:11 PM UTC-8, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon all,

was just cleaning up when I picked up my bike helmet and one of the plastic bits just cracked in my hand. Guess it's time for a new one; especially when I look at it and see a 2008 manufacture date (do as I say not as I do.) Pretty sure it's a Trek "Vapor".

What to buy? It's not like I can just run down to my LBS and start trying them on, although if I knew what I wanted, I'm sure I could get it from them to toss them a little bit of business, but it's all curbside pickup and by appointment now.

Would like something well ventilated as I'm a damnyankee living south of the Mason-Dixon, so most of the year it's warmer already than I'd prefer. Affordable is a plus.

thanks for any advice.

My recommendation is for a Trek(Bontrager) Q-cell helmet. These were designed to combat the actual cause of serious head injuries - concussion and not skull fracture which the international standard has been designed for. They are not particularly expensive and I have already experienced head blows that had no effect although I have already had a serious concussion.
Old November 29th 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

N8N wrote:
[...]

First advice is “duck!â€

[...]

A friend has a Trek Madone that appeared to get water into the BB90 and impact the rollers. He never directly washed it with a hose and he never had it out in the rain. The seals appeared to be intact but the rust was over the entire bearing surfaces.
Old November 29th 20, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 10:28:40 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
N8N wrote:
[...]

That was actually my first thought, but it looks like were I to buy one, it'd be NOS. Doesn't look like Trek even sells their own branded helmets anymore, they are all "Bontrager". Plus, I'm sure advances have been made in the last 10 years. Is there a go to for a relatively inexpensive roadie helmet with good ventilation?
Old November 29th 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

N8N wrote:
[...]

Changing temperatures can cause nearly-enclosed spaces like bottom
bracket to expel air, then inhale air; and with it, moisture. I wonder
if that could have been the mechanism at work in his case.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 29th 20, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

N8N wrote:
[...]

I'm assuming that's what happened - it was one of the semi-hard, light plastic pieces inside, it just snapped when I picked it up. Shouldn't have been brittle, but it was.

Combine this with the lectures about always checking the dates on my hard hats (even though I honestly have to wear them maybe 10-20x a year), and, well...
Old November 30th 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

N8N wrote:
[...]

If the Madone is anything like my Domane, the BB is *far* from nearly
airtight. The FD cable exits the frame under the BB, and there's plenty
of "breathing space" around it to avert any pressure differential.

Mark J.