Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Old December 3rd 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 11:06:33 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/2/2020 2:57 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 2 december 2020 om 06:29:37 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 12/1/2020 4:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/1/2020 4:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 12:50:13 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/30/2020 8:04 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 09:45:04 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 11:33:41 a.m. UTC-5, Radey Shouman
wrote:
News 2020 writes:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 10:38:13 -0800, Tom Kunich wrote:

Something else is now going on as people become entirely broke.
The wine
bottles in my trash are being scavenged. Apparently either the
empties
themselves are recyclable (which I haven't heard of) or the
glass is
being recycled like the plastic water bottles. Now the morning
after the
garbage is put out, if I go out to the garbage to put something
else in
before the truck arrives, all of the wine bottles are gone.

Wow, has Kaytel relaunched their bottle cutter?
The TV add had a piece where you cut the bottom off wine and
other glass
bottles to make drinking glass.
Probably someone just needed some Molotov cocktails.
Probably something on faecesbook or the ****sphere or similar.
SWMBO'd
caught someone going through the neighbour's recycling bin
recently for
glass bottles.
"Caught"? I figure if someone put something in the recycling bin it's
free to take. I certainly don't mind if someone takes something from
mine, he's almost surely putting it to a higher use than the town
will.

Around here beer and wine bottles are refundable for a deposit.
Many low income people scrounge those bottles and then return to
the beer or liquor store for the deposits. This can be quite
lucrative for that low income person.

Way back when, I used to take my little red wagon and tour the
neighborhood collecting bottles. One day I hit a real gold mine at one
house, a while trash can full of beer bottles. Loaded up my little
cart and hauled it down to the local shop where we traded and got a
fortune... maybe 50 whole cents.

Anyway, the next day one of the neighbor ladies says to my mother,
"Oh! I see you had quite a party at your house" and my mother, who was
a non drinker, tells the neighbor lady that, "No, we didn't have a
party", and the neighbor lady tells my mother about seeing me hauling
bottles to the store. My mother, being a member of the church and all,
asks me about this and I tell her about the gold mine I discovered.

Needless to say, that was the end of my "recycling" activities :-)
Interesting that your mother thought you would be somehow tainted by
hauling in those bottles.

Vaguely similar: Our grocery store employs some young folk as checkout
clerks - kids that are below the drinking age.

Apparently it's also illegal for those kids to "sell" beer or wine. That
means if we put a six pack of beer in with our groceries on the checkout
conveyor, the checkout kid has to stop every thing and call for someone
older. The kid stands aside, the older person signs in, picks up the six
pack and waves it across the laser scanner, then returns the rest of the
operation to the kid.

If the beer or wine goes into a bag, the kid can touch it to make that
happen. He just can't touch it as it passes over the scanner.

Some people sometimes mock certain practices of Orthodox Jews, Amish,
Muslims etc. But our laws are often no more scientific.

Should have gone to Utah before 2017.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ht-liquor-laws
Bottles are still metered by the state.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/paw457/utah-cocktails No more than 5%
ABV beer on tap, which pretty much means no decent IPAs, and that's up
1% from two years ago. https://tinyurl.com/y4a4zkdj You can go to a
brewpub and get a 5% beer, but it will be in a bottle. ID checks are
mandatory -- even old codgers have to produce ID. State-run liquor
stores (same as Oregon), but you have to a liquor store for wine.
Plan in advance if you want to get drunk in your hotel room -- liquor
stores are few and far between. Here's a tip: pick up a bottle in the
concourse.
https://onemileatatime.com/house-spi...ry-pdx-review/
Marching down the concourse at PDX, you can get all the beer, wine and
booze you can ever want, and because of the Port's tariffs, it's all
at street price. Vendors cannot charge more than they do off-property.

Vaguely related: Can you guys pump your own gas yet?

Essentially not, in Oregon. There are exceptions, I think they may have
widened during the pandemic (no, I don't know why), but essentially, no.

Mark J.
Rural counties allow it or require it. I stood around at a pump in Hood River for a few minutes before figuring out I had to do it myself.

-- Jay Beattie.

That is strange. Around here you have to pump your own gas. All self service without exception.

Self service here too, as in most of the U.S.

The movie _Back to the Future_ (where young Marty accidentally time
travels back to the 1950s) has a brief scene in which a car pulls into a
gas station and several uniformed workers run out to fill the gas tank,
wash the windows, open the hood to check the oil, etc. Those days are
long gone.

Heck, in Oregon the professional gas pumpers don't even wear uniforms!

Thank God I live in this backward little country where when you pull
into a "Filling Station" some nubile young thing runs out and say "Can
I help you, Sir?"
--
Cheers,

John B.

Thanksgiving Tom Kunich Racing 19 December 1st 08 09:50 PM
I'm on TV this Wednesday! MuniAddict Unicycling 18 April 17th 08 10:04 AM
Wednesday's SMH Jack Russell Australia 2 November 7th 07 07:13 AM
Thanksgiving??? Veloise Rides 0 November 10th 06 10:31 PM
F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. all on Thanksgiving Flying Elvis Mountain Biking 27 December 13th 04 02:33 AM