Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Old November 30th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 12:34:47 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/29/2020 1:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 12:22:34 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 9:44:04 AM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
On 26/11/2020 18:40, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-6,
wrote:
snip
Returning to clincher tires with tubes of course I carry an old
fashion patch kit. On my road bikes on the local rides I carry CO2
inflators but wouldn't think of doing tours carrying CO2 instead of
a full size frame pump. I have my touring bike in the back yard and
a couple of frame pumps down in the garage. If you are using a
handlebar bag why would you not carry a frame pump. The old Zephal
HPX pumps will inflate the modern 25 or 28 mm tires promptly and
easily and if you are using them on a real touring bike with 32 mm
tires on them you can use Zephal FPX pumps designed for higher
volume
I carry CO2 but that can run out easy if not careful so I have a
small mini pump in the saddle. It will get the tires up to what I
need to get around. I just have a spare tube no patch kit I am not
going to patch on the road. Touring would require I might need to do
that but my idea of touring is probably not others. Deacon Mark
My preferred setup is a halfway decent mini pump[1] and spare tube.
Change out the tube and repair the old one overnight. Rinse and repeat.
Oh, and since I'm one of those "Presta" weirdos, a presta-scraeder
adaptor in case a petrol station hoves into sight :-)

[1] Yes I know, rocking horse ****, you can but hope.
Gas stations now charge for air, and many use stand-alone, gutless compressors that couldn't fully inflate a HP bike tire. It's pitiful. Make Gas Stations Great Again!

I got a flat today riding with my son -- CO2 to the rescue. Five minute repair. It would have been two minutes, but I wanted to find what caused the flat, which I didn't. Checking the tube when I got home, it was a very distinct single hole, so I hit a nail or something else that went in and pulled out.

I don't know what's going in up in Oregon but down here we have found what is very clearly nails carefully place with the points up on the roadway in the bike lane.

Even without nails, bike lanes often have debris. That's one of the
reasons I'm not usually a fan.

Drivers are getting more and more polite since cyclists are getting more common. But there is still a rather large contingent of assholes so bike lanes do separate you from them. Mostly. One of the favorite things for punk Hispanics in slow cars that they drive fast do is to go by you at twice the speed limit and then pull over into the bike lane in an implied threat. This is so common it doesn't even bother me anymore.
Old November 30th 20, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 8:33:41 AM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
News 2020 writes:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 10:38:13 -0800, Tom Kunich wrote:

Something else is now going on as people become entirely broke. The wine
bottles in my trash are being scavenged. Apparently either the empties
themselves are recyclable (which I haven't heard of) or the glass is
being recycled like the plastic water bottles. Now the morning after the
garbage is put out, if I go out to the garbage to put something else in
before the truck arrives, all of the wine bottles are gone.

Wow, has Kaytel relaunched their bottle cutter?
The TV add had a piece where you cut the bottom off wine and other glass
bottles to make drinking glass.

Probably someone just needed some Molotov cocktails.
Probably something on faecesbook or the ****sphere or similar. SWMBO'd
caught someone going through the neighbour's recycling bin recently for
glass bottles.

"Caught"? I figure if someone put something in the recycling bin it's
free to take. I certainly don't mind if someone takes something from
mine, he's almost surely putting it to a higher use than the town will.

Newsboy is getting more and more weird by the minute. It's probably from wearing that mask while walking down the street.
Old November 30th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 11:33:41 a.m. UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
News 2020 writes:

[...]

Around here beer and wine bottles are refundable for a deposit. Many low income people scrounge those bottles and then return to the beer or liquor store for the deposits. This can be quite lucrative for that low income person.
Old November 30th 20, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

News 2020 writes:

[...]

However, once an item is in the recycling container at curbside those items are considered to belong to the recycler. There was a case in Toronto, Canada many years ago where a fellow who picked up old newspapers long before they became "officially" recyclable, was arrested for theft for taking bundles of newspapers from the recycling boxes on the curb in front of private dwellings.

Many years ago, out on a ride, I met an apparently middle class guy
whose bike baskets were full of aluminum cans. He said he'd recently
retired and decided it made sense to make a little money while cleaning
up the roadsides.

Then about two years ago I ran into another retired professor from the
university. I don't know how we got on the topic, but he said his father
does that in California. Supposedly, his motivation was more about
"sticking it to the man." He loved the idea that income from recycling
was not taxed. (I haven't verified what I was told, BTW.)

Whatever. Returning to Tom's post, I think people taking things out of
recycling bins is down at the bottom of the list of "problems."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 30th 20, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2020

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:33:37 -0500, Radey Shouman wrote:

News 2020 writes:

[...]

Exactly, but people get rather defensive about what is in 'their bins'.
As if that is going to prevent us finding out who the drinkers are. The
clatter of glass is very distinctive when the recycling bin is emptied.

Old November 30th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

News 2020 writes:

[...]

..
Maybe he fantasies that he's Ned Kelly, the Australian Robbing Hood. -- AJ
Old November 30th 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

News 2020 writes:

[...]

.
Maybe he fantasies that he's Ned Kelly, the Australian Robbing Hood. -- AJ

Perhaps, he appears to know a lot more about American politics than John but that will catch John completely by surprise. I made a comment about how my wine etc. bottles were disappearing from my trash and was wondering if there was some redeemable fund or something and then Frank with his usual IQ of a rat want to think that I consider that some sort of problem. I can only assume he is beginning to grow worried as it is getting through to him that Biden destroying the monetary system here is going to affect him a hell of a lot more than me. That open borders is the end of his children's jobs and that Biden resigning the nuclear deal with Iran is going to lead to a middle eastern war that he will draw this country into.
Old November 30th 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

News 2020 writes:

[...]

I find it very odd that the Donkey Party, when they're out of office, are always screaming at the Republicans that they're "war0mongers", but that most of the wars of the last century and spilling over into this one were started when the Dems were in office, and all the wars that were stopped were stopped by Republican Presidents.

Andre Jute
No, Francis Fukuyama, history has no end.
Old December 1st 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 01:22:22 -0000 (UTC), News 2020
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 10:43:45 -0800, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 4:29:51 PM UTC-8, News 2020 wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 12:04:28 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It's my understanding steel is almost indefinitely recyclable.
Anyone know?

Sure, just like aluminum. Most steel is "mild steel" that has little
in the form of alloying elements. Throw it into an electric furnace
and it's on its way to becoming more mild steel. You can't damage the
Iron atoms that make up almost all the mix.

If by chance someone threw in some bits of high alloy steel (say, a
dozen kitchen knives with lots of chromium in them) I don't think
anyone would notice. But I think making fancy steels (e.g. stainless
steels, high alloy steels etc.) might require more care about the
feedstock composition.
if you want to experience 'recycled steel', projects using rebar will
teach you about it. Some of it is like hot knife through butter and the
other is WTF.

So you comment on yet another thing you don't know anything about? Rebar
is made in HUGE steel melting vats that so fully mixes the recycled
steel that there isn't even a passing chance that you could detect any
difference at all in the product which is mostly recycled cars.

Tommy, I've cut and bend enough rebar to know that it is NOT consistent.

Tell me, how do they "mix it"

Well, they got that little guy that stands on the top of the pot with
a long stick :-)

But more seriously, there are standards for re-bar and I have been on
jobs where it was a contractual requirement to comply with the
standard. I remember as we were supplying the project out of Singapore
and there was some problem sourcing re-bar that met the standard - a
US standard, I think.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 20, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

News 2020 writes:

[...]

Way back when, I used to take my little red wagon and tour the
neighborhood collecting bottles. One day I hit a real gold mine at one
house, a while trash can full of beer bottles. Loaded up my little
cart and hauled it down to the local shop where we traded and got a
fortune... maybe 50 whole cents.

Anyway, the next day one of the neighbor ladies says to my mother,
"Oh! I see you had quite a party at your house" and my mother, who was
a non drinker, tells the neighbor lady that, "No, we didn't have a
party", and the neighbor lady tells my mother about seeing me hauling
bottles to the store. My mother, being a member of the church and all,
asks me about this and I tell her about the gold mine I discovered.

Needless to say, that was the end of my "recycling" activities :-)

However, once an item is in the recycling container at curbside those items are considered to belong to the recycler. There was a case in Toronto, Canada many years ago where a fellow who picked up old newspapers long before they became "officially" recyclable, was arrested for theft for taking bundles of newspapers from the recycling boxes on the curb in front of private dwellings.

Cheers

--
Cheers,

John B.

Thanksgiving Tom Kunich Racing 19 December 1st 08 09:50 PM
I'm on TV this Wednesday! MuniAddict Unicycling 18 April 17th 08 10:04 AM
Wednesday's SMH Jack Russell Australia 2 November 7th 07 07:13 AM
Thanksgiving??? Veloise Rides 0 November 10th 06 10:31 PM
F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. all on Thanksgiving Flying Elvis Mountain Biking 27 December 13th 04 02:33 AM