Afternoon delight

Old August 4th 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Afternoon delight

My Continental 4 seasons came in yesterday and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to take my Campagnolo Siroccos out into the garage and mount tires in a couple of minutes. That tubeless wheel is still siting over in the corner with the tire only partially mounted. I will NEVER EVER get another tubeless rim again. They can shove their tubeless tires where the sun don't show and my intentions are to never believe gimmicks again unless they are far less physically demanding like my Garmin which changes the speedo from the front wheel to the rear and gives me all sorts of added information such as how many calories I burned - 36 miles and 2900 feet of climbing is worth one cookie. Lord help me!
Old August 6th 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 8:45:36 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
My Continental 4 seasons came in yesterday and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to take my Campagnolo Siroccos out into the garage and mount tires in a couple of minutes. That tubeless wheel is still siting over in the corner with the tire only partially mounted. I will NEVER EVER get another tubeless rim again. They can shove their tubeless tires where the sun don't show and my intentions are to never believe gimmicks again unless they are far less physically demanding like my Garmin which changes the speedo from the front wheel to the rear and gives me all sorts of added information such as how many calories I burned - 36 miles and 2900 feet of climbing is worth one cookie. Lord help me!

I got an additional tool in the mail yesterday and took it down in the garage to try and mount the Continental GP5000TLR on to the tubeless wheel. The result was that it cracked the carbon wheel. So yet another reason to go back to aluminum clinchers and clincher-only tires. I now have four Aero carbon wheels that have either been destroyed by delamination from SLIGHTLY too much inflation pressure or been cracked from the mounting stress of putting these new "tubeless tires" on them.

Another thing - the first set of GP5000TLR's mounted slightly easier so I was running them for perhaps 800 miles and the cord was showing through. Now these are racing tires with exceptional traction and that should come as no surprise but be aware that they are NOT good for training or sport riding..

Perhaps this is why the normal GP5000 clincher tires are not very popular. People who fancy themselves racers generally use sew-ups because the pros do and not because they know why the pros do.
Old August 6th 20, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 5:48:02 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

The clincher GP5000 is the most popular tire on this side of the pond. From my experience they have excellent wear characteristics. My front tire already has done 11500 km and I replaced my rear tire after 4500 km after my first flat. I'm on my second rear tire now for 11500-4500 = 7000 km (yes I can't believe it myself) and it needs to be replaced. I will do that after my first flat. I have a new one ready from the beginning of this season; still waiting for that flat. Up to now it is exceptional dry this season.

Lou
Old August 6th 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 10:34:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I'm 6'4" tall and 190 lbs. The complete bike is another 20 lbs. How does that compare to your size? I couldn't believe, that when I had the wheel off and was looking at it I could see the tread through an almost transparent top layer. While I am impressed with its cornering performance etc. one of the problems that really bothered me was the lack of directional stability.
Old August 7th 20, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

From my experience they have excellent wear characteristics. My front
tire already has done 11500 km and I replaced my rear tire after 4500 km
after my first flat. I'm on my second rear tire now for 11500-4500 = 7000
km (yes I can't believe it myself) and it needs to be replaced. I will do
that after my first flat. I have a new one ready from the beginning of
this season; still waiting for that flat. Up to now it is exceptional dry this season.

Lou

Sounds great. I have a pair of GP5000s waiting for my 4000s to wear out.
I’m hoping the 5000s are as flat resistant as the 4000s.

Old August 7th 20, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 1:43:43 PM UTC+2, Duane wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

From my experience they have excellent wear characteristics. My front
tire already has done 11500 km and I replaced my rear tire after 4500 km
after my first flat. I'm on my second rear tire now for 11500-4500 = 7000
km (yes I can't believe it myself) and it needs to be replaced. I will do
that after my first flat. I have a new one ready from the beginning of
this season; still waiting for that flat. Up to now it is exceptional dry this season.

Lou

Sounds great. I have a pair of GP5000s waiting for my 4000s to wear out.
I’m hoping the 5000s are as flat resistant as the 4000s.

According to the test of TOUR magazine they should even be a bit better. The 4000(II)s are/were already excellent all round tires. I still have some 23 mm left. I will use them as front tire. In the back I use GP5000 25 mm from now on. I'm at 8000 km this season and I had only one (pinch) flat in the front because I ran over a rock I didn't noticed after a corner. Like I said we had exceptional dry weather so that helped. Today it was 35C, fortunately low humidity. Did 85 km, 197 W average. Pff..20C please.

Lou
Old August 8th 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

From my experience they have excellent wear characteristics. My front
[...]

It’s been cycling between rain and humid and dry and humid here. Mostly
hot. I won’t complain considering the snow isn’t far off.

The only constant has been the higher than normal winds. That thankfully
seems to be subsiding a bit.

I still use 23mm tires. With my wheels that seems best. I’m anxious to
try the 5000s though.

Old August 8th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

From my experience they have excellent wear characteristics. My front
[...]

The weather has been spectacular here, and I'm about to hit the road for a post-work ride. It has been another hell-week at work, and I haven't been getting my mileage. I'm hoping for a ride out to the Gorge this weekend.

I am so tired of virtual everything -- Zoom this and that. Working from home sucks. I really miss my commute.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 8th 20, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 1:35:18 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

I am so tired of virtual everything -- Zoom this and that. Working from home sucks. I really miss my commute.

-- Jay Beattie.

Oh, I don't know, Jay. When I went virtual in rural Ireland in 1979, one of my clients said, "For practical purposes you've gone bush in Africa like that time [at least ten years before] that we had to wait three bloody weeks to ask your advice." I said, "Oh the horror! I'm 22 minutes from an international airport, 30 minutes from London if you send your plane for me, maybe two hours out of central London if I have to fly commercial. You're venting against a brick wall. Why don't you come see me instead, have a relaxing lunch and a round of golf. My agent does and his secretary and his wife say he's a lot easier to live with in the week after he's been to see me." Actually, my biggest problem was that 300 baud modems simply weren't fast enough to send digitised art, but that just meant overnighting it on FedEx or UPI or TNT -- and I could (or my secretary could) tell to the minute when the couriers would passing us on their backswing from the deep(er) countryside; I'd bribed all the drivers to make a small detour so that they could spot the junior skivvy sheltering under the arch at the bottom of the driveway with their parcels. You just haven't worked away from the office long enough to adapt.

Andre Jute
Mr Flexible

Procrastinator's Delight Bret Cahill[_3_] UK 6 October 14th 11 04:49 PM
Opening weekend delight aspenmike Unicycling 6 December 15th 08 11:27 PM
Alpine Delight JoeDe Australia 5 November 19th 07 03:24 AM
Belgian Delight Donald Munro Racing 0 April 25th 05 08:48 AM
"much to the delight of all my lady-fans"... zach_jucha Unicycling 9 October 2nd 03 01:12 AM