Amazon and Customer practices

Old August 9th 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Amazon and Customer practices

On 8/9/2020 6:12 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 11:42:18 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 9:43:50 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 8:39:29 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 5:24:13 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 4:20:25 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 1:02:24 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 11:03:17 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I bought a Di2 wire from a seller on Amazon. If I try to track their package it shows that it hasn't even shipped yet but gives a delivery date of next Tuesday in the mail delivery.

Now, I can see why the seller would avoid the Amazon system and simply put the small package in a mail envelop and drop it in the mail but when you go around the system I can't see where it is and if it is going to be delivered or not. The fact that I could have gotten it from an eBay sell already and had the bike on the road is also bothersome because they didn't say it was going to take 9 days to get a quarter ounce copper wire from southern California to here. 9 days to go 300 miles. It must be being delivered by electric scooter.
My god! The horror! Are you telling us that you will have to wait for a small package to arrive in the mail? I feel your pain, bro!

Meanwhile, you could have walked, ridden or driven to the nearest bike shop and bought a fungible Di2 wire. Or if you broke a wire, solder it back together and use some shrink wrap. I've done that.

Assuming I needed a quick Di2 wire, my first four choices for LBS would be:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=49970
https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pr...e-179671-1.htm
https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...e-179671-1.htm https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...50-e-tube-wire

All within easy riding distance. Does your city not have a LBS with Di2 wire?

-- Jay Beattie.
It is never any surprise that you post without thinking. It takes two days for USPS to deliver a first class envelope from southern California to the bay area. If they had said that it would take 9 days I would never have bought from them. Essentially they had the package sitting around the store for over a week. And without the tracking I didn't know it hadn't been shipped and so couldn't cancel the order.

At the local bike shops you have to call and make an appointment. Even then they're likely to leave you standing outside of the door while they handle other customers for a half hour. This makes mail order desirable. Or are you still on the moving out of Oregon plan without warning your son off? The Trek Factory store might have Di2 parts but that was the place I was left standing in a line for a half hour where they only let a single customer inside of a shop that is about 4,000 sq feet. And I had ordered a part and all I had to do was pick it up since it was paid for.
Amazon tells you when things will be shipped/delivered before you buy. What did your seller say? If it hasn't shipped but it will be there on Tuesday, then the transit time is not the issue -- its a problem with high volume and limited shipping/receiving staff during the pandemic. Your seller is probably just backed-up.

For me, all I do is click a link: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=49970 Then I jump on my bike and go pick it up at the store/curb or counter, although its a longer ride now that Universal moved to the 'burbs. Probably faster just to ride down the hill to Lakeside, but they're super expensive.

Some stores you can go in and others are curbside. Some are by appointment and some are entirely closed, including the one down the street from my house. We have 50 bike shops in PDX, so finding a Di2 wire isn't a problem. And most of my shipped internet purchases are shipped from across town when I get lazy and don't want to go to Western Bikeworks near the airport. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/ (I think their showroom is also closed). Great daily deals, but I feel guilty about the packing material. It takes maybe two days from order to delivery.

-- Jay Beattie.
Again, it is never any surprise that you talk without thinking. That seems to be becoming your mode of choice. Amazon does not report on their secondary sources save via a shipping label. If the secondary source choses to use another means of shipping and doesn't enter proper tracking numbers the entire process is interrupted. The thoughts that go through your head since you said that it was quiet and peaceful in downtown Portland has been demonstrating a rather reluctant observation of reality.
WTF? Go to Amazon. Pick a "Di2 wire" and look at the right side of the page, e.g.: https://tinyurl.com/y2u52mkv It ships from Larry's Bicycles, and arrives 19-26th. Larry even posts a customer service number. It's not a secret where your purchases are coming from. Give us a link to the page that you ordered from. I'm sure it shows the seller.

Amazon tracking: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201910530

-- Jay Beattie.

I see that you are becoming another Frank and know what happened despite thousands of miles of separation.

You must admit that almost every purchase is troublesome. If I need a Di2 cable I have two choices: I want it as fast as possible or I want it as cheap as possible. It time it means within an hour or within a week.

Lou

So, just like every other aspect of life itself?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 9th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 4:12:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I've never priced a Di2 wire in a store but I cannot see how they can sell them much more expensively since $26 for a length of wire with a connector on each end is already so out of proportion to the manufacturing cost that it is ridiculous.
Old August 9th 20, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 6:43:06 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

The online price of a Di2 cable is about 20 euro's here. Little difference between lengths. I'm sure they are more expensive at my LBS.

Lou
Old August 9th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ils.php?idI970

Amazon tracking: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...ay.html?nodeId 1910530

-- Jay Beattie.
I see that you are becoming another Frank and know what happened
despite thousands of miles of separation.
You must admit that almost every purchase is troublesome. If I need a
Di2 cable I have two choices: I want it as fast as possible or I want
it as cheap as possible. It time it means within an hour or within a week.

Lou

I've never priced a Di2 wire in a store but I cannot see how they can
sell them much more expensively since $26 for a length of wire with a
connector on each end is already so out of proportion to the
manufacturing cost that it is ridiculous.

The online price of a Di2 cable is about 20 euro's here. Little
difference between lengths. I'm sure they are more expensive at my LBS.

Lou

From my point of view, if my LBS has it in stock I’ll buy it there unless
the price difference is ridiculous. Amazon or other online vendors can
definitely undercut the LBS. But when I show up at the LBS after a
Saturday ride looking for a repair or part so I can ride Sunday , they’re
there to help me. For me, that’s a lot of value added. I want to help
keep the LBS in business.

Old August 9th 20, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 16:53:47 UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

From my point of view, if my LBS has it in stock I’ll buy it there unless
the price difference is ridiculous. Amazon or other online vendors can
definitely undercut the LBS. But when I show up at the LBS after a
Saturday ride looking for a repair or part so I can ride Sunday , they’re
there to help me. For me, that’s a lot of value added. I want to help
keep the LBS in business.

+1. There's a shop, here in town, that I really like. One time at the end of an organized tour I asked them if they could pump up my front tire as it was quite low. We then discovered that the tire had a pretty good size hole in it. The guy there offered to drive me and the bike home so I wouldn't have to do a tire repair on such a hot and humid day.

Brick and mortar shop offer a lot of benefits that can't be matched by online sellers; that is if the shop is any good and truly cares about their customers.

Cheers
Old August 9th 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:53:47 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

From my point of view, if my LBS has it in stock I’ll buy it there unless
the price difference is ridiculous. Amazon or other online vendors can
definitely undercut the LBS. But when I show up at the LBS after a
Saturday ride looking for a repair or part so I can ride Sunday , they’re
there to help me. For me, that’s a lot of value added. I want to help
keep the LBS in business.

I don't believe that Amazon can significantly reduce the price of a stock Shimano part. I can buy an 11 speed Ultegra Chain for the same price at the local shop or off of Amazon. The only advantage of Amazon is that I don't have to drive there. Now there are some things with which you can get huge price differentials. The Canyon integrated handlebar is $400 but the Chinese copy is about $80 off of eBay.