Fears 'anti-cyclist' deliberately spilt oil on Bristol to Bath cyclepath to harm people

Old August 11th 20, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Fears 'anti-cyclist' deliberately spilt oil on Bristol to Bath cyclepath to harm people

More from Sustrans on this sabotage story.
QUOTE:
Oil has been 'deliberately split' on the Bristol to Bath cycle path to harm people, a man claims.

Puddles of oil have been discovered along the route, sparking fears a 'miserable anti-cyclist' has struck.

Jayson Godridge, who owns a signage company and works as a firefighter, said he first noticed the spill, near Dartmouth Avenue close to the Devonshire Tunnel, in Bath, on Saturday, August 8, reports Somerset Live.

He warned the act was 'so dangerous' and could cause people to fall over as they come round the bend.

"I think a miserable person has put oil on the linear way path, just at the two bends off the bridge at Dartmouth Avenue," said the 37-year-old said, from Bath.

"I think this is probably an anti-cyclist, who was trying to draw attention to the speed some cyclists go."

Sustrans, the UK walking and cycling charity, has said it will attend to the site to investigate.

Jonathan Gardiner, Sustrans’ Estate Director, said he has never heard of anything like this happening before and hopes it isn't deliberate.

He said: "We will be on-site today to inspect the problem and work out how to put it right.

“We have not heard of anything like this happening before. We hope that it was not a deliberate act and that it is a one-off."

Mr Godridge said he could 'see both sides of the cyclist versus walker debate but this act was so dangerous'.

"Normally, if there is oil after an incident you can tell but this doesn't look like that - it's too much of a coincidence," he said.

Firefighters have on occasion been alerted to acts of vandalism along the path, with motorcycles being burnt.

"Its been very deliberately placed to get people as they come off the corner," said Mr Godridge

"It's very unpleasant and unwarranted and could harm pedestrians, cyclists, and anyone walking down there as it is very slippy.

"Not only is it highly dangerous it will also be polluted (sic) the local area."

Jon Usher, head of partnerships for the South at Sustans, said: "We've heard there was some oil on a section of the Two Tunnels Greenway, which Bath and North East Somerset Council has cleaned up.

“The entrance to Devonshire Tunnel was also mucky, but this was with some damp soot caused by condensation dripping from the tunnel in the humid weather.

"The council has also acted quickly to get that cleared up so that people can continue to enjoy this wonderful route"

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/l...-spilt-4416458
Old August 12th 20, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/08/2020 20:03, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

"a man claims"

Ah... more convincing than a woman "claiming"?

"sparking fears a 'miserable anti-cyclist' has struck"

Any evidence for that?

No, none of us thought so.

"Jayson Godridge... "I think a miserable person has put oil on the
linear way path, just at the two bends off the bridge at Dartmouth
Avenue," said the 37-year-old said, from Bath."

He *thinks*?

Is he sure of that?

"The entrance to Devonshire Tunnel was also mucky, but this was with
some damp soot caused by condensation dripping from the tunnel in the
humid weather"

Ah... exactly what cyclists had previously claimed it couldn't be, one
of them claiming to be able to tell the difference.

Are they often as wrong as that?

[That was rhetorical.]

Cyclist stabbed on Bristol and Bath cycle path Simon Mason[_6_] UK 0 February 6th 20 01:49 PM
Bristol 2 Bath petition. Martin Dann UK 3 January 26th 08 09:54 PM
RR: Bristol to Bath on a Unicycle Danny Colyer Unicycling 10 October 24th 06 01:47 PM
Bristol/Bath nobody760 UK 2 July 25th 06 11:52 AM
Bristol-Bath cyclepath closure Danny Colyer UK 46 March 30th 04 11:09 PM