Mavic introduces wheel with compression spokes

Old June 19th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default Mavic introduces wheel with compression spokes

Road Mag's blog had this item today:

"The [new] wheels, which are part of the Ksyrium family, use a combination
of hollow carbon spokes (tubes) and the familiar aluminum spokes found on
the Ksyrium. The front wheel has all carbon spokes and the real wheel has
aluminum spokes on the drive (cassette) side and the carbon tubes on the
none drive side. The carbon tubes act like a combination old fashion
wooden spokes, which supported the wheel by compression (like a stiff
wooden spoke on an ox cart) and traditional aluminum spokes that support
the wheel via tension. I won't try and explain it in detail here - but the
general idea is that the carbon tubes give the wheel a lot more rigidity -
plus they are lighter....

MAVIC brought out their machine for testing rigidity and put the wheel
though it paces. They then ran another five wheels from various
manufactures - these were all wheels that various journalists had brought
along - so it was a pretty random cross section. The new MAVIC wheel came
out on top. It was more rigid and at 1355 grams they are one of the
lighter wheel sets on the market (hey - the spokes only way five grams
each - versus an aluminum at eight grams - and we know that every gram
counts)."

The full item and photographs are at:

http://roadmag.blogspot.com/2007/06/...take-note.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/2m59r9

Notice that Mavic rolled out an old wooden wheel at the unveiling.
Old June 19th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:55:51 -0500, Gary Young wrote:

the wheel via tension. I won't try and explain it in detail here - but the
general idea is that the carbon tubes give the wheel a lot more rigidity -
plus they are lighter....

I'd say the general idea is to make them sound reassuring to fat
weekend warriors :-)

Old June 19th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

http://roadmag.blogspot.com/2007/06/...-climbers-take...

or

http://tinyurl.com/2m59r9

Notice that Mavic rolled out an old wooden wheel at the unveiling.

Still with crappola rear hub and for only, what $2600 or so??

my head hurts

Old June 19th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:41:12 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

On Jun 18, 9:55 pm, Gary Young wrote:
Road Mag's blog had this item today:

"The [new] wheels, which are part of the Ksyrium family,
http://tinyurl.com/2m59r9

Still with crappola rear hub and for only, what $2600 or so??

my head hurts

"The suggested retail is about $1,400 US" according to the article.

Also "(the spokes only way[sic] five grams each - versus an aluminium
at eight grams "

Sapim CX-Rays weight 4g, and are cheaper than Mavic Aluminium or
carbon spokes. So instead of 16 carbon spokes, use 20 CX-Rays; I'm
pretty sure that's going to make a wheel with both higher axial
stiffness and lower aerodynamic drag, at exactly the same weight and
lower cost. Is there some vital piece of European politics I'm missing
which prevents French Mavic from admitting that Belgian Sapim (or
Swiss DT) have already solved the spoke problem? Heck, both countries
even have substantial Francophone populations, so it can't be a
language issue.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old June 19th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jun 18, 11:33 pm, Michael Warner wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:55:51 -0500, Gary Young wrote:
the wheel via tension. I won't try and explain it in detail here - but the
general idea is that the carbon tubes give the wheel a lot more rigidity -
plus they are lighter....

I'd say the general idea is to make them sound reassuring to fat
weekend warriors :-)

Coming soon: the Ksyrium WBE (WannaBe Edition); almost as strong and
reliable as a conventional 32H wheel, but 25% heavier and 350% more
expensive. Of course, it will have the 'look', the 'cool factor', all
those colorful stickers, and a big red spoke. Just the thing at the
Latte Stop. ;-)

Old June 20th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Gary Young wrote:
[...]

this was posted yesterday evening, but in the course of nearly 24 hours,
none of our "engineers" have picked up on the most, er, "interesting"
feature in the commentary:

"The carbon tubes act like a combination old fashion wooden spokes,
which supported the wheel by compression (like a stiff wooden spoke on
an ox cart) and traditional aluminum spokes that support the wheel via
tension."

this in the context of a rear wheel with drive side aluminum spokes and
non-drive side carbon i.e. supposedly tension one side, compression the
other.

now, if we know [and understand] our wheel theory, one could ask oneself
how it's possible to have tension on one side of a wheel and compression
on the other, right? any takers? come on, since this comes from an
anonymous and therefore non-credible liar, it should be easy to prove
this is a baseless and inflammatory question...
Old June 20th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Another blog posting on the wheel:

http://thisjustin.bicycling.com/2007...vic_wheel.html

The description seems to me to be hopelessly confused, but there is a
photograph showing how the carbon-fiber spokes connect to the hub.
Old June 20th 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:42:09 -0700, jim beam
wrote:

Gary Young wrote:
[...]

We all knew that it was so blindingly obvious that either a: something
got lost in the translation or b: Mavic were demonstrating their
ignorance all over again that we wouldn't have to point it out even to
you.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old June 20th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

http://www.elevengear.us/poseur.html