Use of brakes

Old August 9th 20, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Use of brakes

Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy
Old August 9th 20, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:23:47 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

It depends upon the situation of course; you don't put a heavy front brake on with poor traction. But in general you should balance the use of your brakes front and rear.
Old August 10th 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 4:08:53 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:23:47 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

It depends upon the situation of course; you don't put a heavy front brake on with poor traction. But in general you should balance the use of your brakes front and rear.

So, I take you agree?

Andy
Old August 10th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

I'm happy that you're happy and you should ride as you wish.

The fact remains that, in extremis, front brakes stop and
rear brakes skid.

YMMV

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 10th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 19:17:16 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

I'm happy that you're happy and you should ride as you wish.

The fact remains that, in extremis, front brakes stop and
rear brakes skid.

YMMV

To second Andrews remarks.

Some time ago I tested the brakes on one of my bikes to obtain
evidence to use in an argument here about braking. The bike was a 26"
hard tail mountain bike frame with a solid front fork. The brakes were
Vee brakes. I tested by coasting down a rather steep hill and applying
the brakes. I tested, initially on wet "black top" pavement and a
second test on the same road, dry. The brakes were strong enough to
stop the wheel from turning on either type pavement.

With the rear brake alone the rear wheel invariably locked up and
skidded.With the front brake alone, sitting up straight and sliding
back on the seat the front wheel would skid but in the normal "leaning
over the bars" position the rear wheel would come off the ground
before the front wheel skidded. Had I locked the front wheel, as the
brakes were capable of doing, while in the normal riding position I
have no doubt that the bike would have done a over ender.

I then tried using both brakes at the same time and while the bike
certainly stopped in a shorter distance than with either brake alone
the braking effort - front/rear - is hard to quantify as I normally
brake using both brakes and I can only assume that over the years my
fingers have been trained to apply more force to the rear brake as I
have never had a problem the rear wheel coming off the ground in any
stop I've made in normal riding.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 10th 20, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 09/08/2020 22:23, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

I almost exclusively use front. Never had an over the handlebar moment.

The rear is handy at negotiating obstacles at walking pace or if you
feel, for some suicidal reason, braking on ice is an option.
Old August 10th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/9/2020 8:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the
time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

I'm happy that you're happy and you should ride as you wish.

The fact remains that, in extremis, front brakes stop and rear brakes skid.

Agreed, for the "in extremis" condition. But I'm curious - how often do
others need extreme braking? I plan ahead and rarely have to brake very
hard at all. My last real panic braking (a deer ran out in front of me)
was at least three years ago.

Here's what's been taught in several cycling education programs: For the
fastest stops, squeeze your front brake lever about three times as hard
as the rear. Shift your weight back, as John mentions.

In those fastest stops, the back wheel will have so little traction its
brake won't slow you much at all; BUT when it skids with light brake
force, you know you're on the edge of going over the bars. So if you
feel that skid, let off a little on the _front_ brake.

And practice. All the above needs to be reflex knowledge.

Back to AK's question - in ordinary everyday braking, I use both, but
with some preference for the front brake. If I need to brake with one
hand, I'll choose the front brake. Probably because of short and direct
cable routing, it feels more positive.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 10th 20, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

I'm happy that you're happy and you should ride as you wish.

The fact remains that, in extremis, front brakes stop and
rear brakes skid.

YMMV

Depends on bike, and where.

In short on road 90% is fine and unless your hard wired not to (as I am) is
the easy option.

Off road you you really need to be shifting your weight about, and only
using the front will give fairly poor braking.

Interesting my commute bike (old MTB) which has panniers and bar bags, even
sat on the saddle will brake from the rear briskly with out tyre slip, as
it’s a heavy lump, and rear bias though I have equalised to a extent.

Roger Merriman

Old August 10th 20, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tommie

On 10/08/2020 06:05, Tosspot wrote:
On 09/08/2020 22:23, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the
time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

I almost exclusively use front.Â* Never had an over the handlebar moment.

The rear is handy at negotiating obstacles at walking pace or if you
feel, for some suicidal reason, braking on ice is an option.

I know the using the front while breaking and cornering has caused me to
lose the rear of the bike, so I now use the back when turning. Obviously
it is better to brake before the turn, but no one is perfect.
Old August 10th 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tommie

On 09/08/2020 22:23, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of
the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

I almost exclusively use front.Â* Never had an over the handlebar moment.

The rear is handy at negotiating obstacles at walking pace or if you
feel, for some suicidal reason, braking on ice is an option.

I know the using the front while breaking and cornering has caused me to
lose the rear of the bike, so I now use the back when turning. Obviously
it is better to brake before the turn, but no one is perfect.

Or even while braking and cornering, the breaking comes after losing
control.