Steel Fork

Old August 13th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Steel Fork

Given I have not road a steel folk I believe since my Schwinn Traveler I bought in 1991 ( I think it was steel), how do they compare to CF? My sense is they must not ride a decent or more would be used. Also are steel folks safer than CF? I assume they are more flexible?

Deacon Mark
Old August 13th 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/13/2020 9:57 AM, wrote:
Given I have not road a steel folk I believe since my Schwinn Traveler I bought in 1991 ( I think it was steel), how do they compare to CF? My sense is they must not ride a decent or more would be used. Also are steel folks safer than CF? I assume they are more flexible?

Deacon Mark

The range of all those aspects in every material is wide.
And also cost.

No material is superior in all respects to all riders for
all purposes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 13th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

What about plain old roadies on decent pavement? I hate gravel period.

Deacon Mark
Old August 13th 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 4:57:09 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Given I have not road a steel folk I believe since my Schwinn Traveler I bought in 1991 ( I think it was steel), how do they compare to CF? My sense is they must not ride a decent or more would be used. Also are steel folks safer than CF? I assume they are more flexible?

Deacon Mark

That is a too general question. Are you looking for some specific feature. Steel is cheap, everyone with some kind of braze skills can make one and the tools are cheap to do so and at the time they were popular it was the only practical material available. There is no magic about steel or any other material.

Lou
Old August 13th 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 1:03:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 4:57:09 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Given I have not road a steel folk I believe since my Schwinn Traveler I bought in 1991 ( I think it was steel), how do they compare to CF? My sense is they must not ride a decent or more would be used. Also are steel folks safer than CF? I assume they are more flexible?

Deacon Mark

That is a too general question. Are you looking for some specific feature.. Steel is cheap, everyone with some kind of braze skills can make one and the tools are cheap to do so and at the time they were popular it was the only practical material available. There is no magic about steel or any other material.

Lou

I just want to know about ride characteristics. Just like frames such as AL tend to be a but harsh I don't like them. The better ones are ok but I still prefer the CF or my Ti frame. I know steel is a nice ride but not quite as stiff as TI or CF. I figure forks are the same. Most have CF forks because I assume they handle bumpy roads better with less vibration. Myself I just have horrible nightmares of the AL frame I had once it just not great unless road smooth. I figure if steel was great more of them would be used but seems not. Even a TI fork for instances. I guess I am asking in general ride character of forks themselves not frames, realizing they are paired though.
Deacon Mark
Old August 13th 20, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 2:40:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

As stated by others, all of these building materials have a wide range of characteristics. Each can be stiffer than an anvil or lighter than a feather. And similar in weight, strength, stiffness, cost. But there are certain combinations of all these characteristics that cannot go together. Such as you cannot be the lightest and strongest at the same time. Or cheapest and strongest at the same time.

Now lets talk about your misstatements.
1. "Just like frames such as AL tend to be a bit harsh I don't like them."
Did you know (apparently not) that Alan and Vitus frames are aluminum! Back in the 1970s these were used in cyclocross races by the winners because they were so comfortable! And by pro racers like Sean Kelly. Kelly won the green sprinters jersey at the Tour four times. Riding an aluminum Vitus bike!!!!! Impossible! But the pro wannabe racers in the USA said these aluminum Alan and Vitus frames were too soft and flexible to win in the USA. Where stiffness if king baby.
2. "I know steel is a nice ride but not quite as stiff as TI or CF."
Dang good thing you are not an engineer. People would die due to your incompetence. Steel is molecularly stiffer than titanium. That is a simple FACT. Steel is also stiffer than aluminum.
Old August 13th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 3:15:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The bike engineer police. I am talking about ride characteristics not molecules and steel

Deacon Mark
Old August 13th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 2:00:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

As a rule, steel bikes ride softer. They absorb shocks better than carbon fiber or aluminum. But as Andrew said, there is a broad spectrum in ride and cost. I have lifted a Waterford that is lighter than most carbon fiber bikes. My Lemond uses a very heavy carbon fiber fork. I don't understand the idea behind that but the bike rides nearly perfect.
Old August 13th 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/13/2020 4:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

Is that satire? Humor? It went over my head I think.

Old August 14th 20, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 14:00:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

The material that a bike is made of has little or no relationship to
how stiff the frame will be. They make golf club shafts and bows
(Robin Hood) out of carbon fiber and both flex, a lot. They make
bridges out of steel and they (hopefully) flex very little. and if
memory serves the first generally sold aluminum bike, in the U.S.
(Cannondale I seem to recall) was damned for being too stiff.
--
Cheers,

John B.