Hello DA 7800, goodbye $$$$...

Old October 2nd 03, 07:17 PM
basjan

Default Hello DA 7800, goodbye $$$$...

Just got the latest Colorado Cyclist catalogue - the new DA 7800 parts are
pretty expensive! Except for the rear derailleur, and 10v chain, all 7800
parts exceed current Record. The shifters are about $130 more than Record,
while the crankset is $150 more (granted the BB might be included with DA).
Where do they come up with a $100+ tag on the front hub???

Does this spell bad things pricewise for the '04 Record?

Old October 2nd 03, 07:21 PM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:17:23 -0400, "basjan" may have
said:

Just got the latest Colorado Cyclist catalogue - the new DA 7800 parts are
pretty expensive! Except for the rear derailleur, and 10v chain, all 7800
parts exceed current Record. The shifters are about $130 more than Record,
while the crankset is $150 more (granted the BB might be included with DA).
Where do they come up with a $100+ tag on the front hub???

You want bleeding-edge, you gotta bleed...

Just think, in 6 or 7 years, copies of that stuff will be on bikes at
Wal-Mart.

(I think I can wait, after looking at the price tags...)

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Old October 2nd 03, 07:43 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:26:56 +0000, Kurd wrote:

Oversized axle on the hub. Theoretically stiffer steering and control.

That's worth $100, for sure.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 2nd 03, 09:33 PM
Bruce Gilbert

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
In article , says...

Just got the latest Colorado Cyclist catalogue - the new DA 7800 parts

are
pretty expensive! Except for the rear derailleur, and 10v chain, all

7800
parts exceed current Record. The shifters are about $130 more than

Record,
while the crankset is $150 more (granted the BB might be included with

DA).
Where do they come up with a $100+ tag on the front hub???

Does this spell bad things pricewise for the '04 Record?

Give it some time and the prices will come down. Same thing happened

when
the 7700 parts first came out. If you wanna be the first on your block
with the parts, you gotta be prepared to pay the high price.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\,_
(_)/ (_)

According to our marketing and metallurgic research, the first of the new
Dura Ace parts that arrive in the country are substantially different than
those produced from mid-life to end of sales cycle. The first arrived parts
last longer, run smoother and retain their new part smell for almost a full
year longer. Whatever the microscopic price difference may be, the first run
parts are more desirable.

From a racer's standpoint, the sheer intimidation of new Dura Ace on the
start line is a monstrous advantage. As a serious racer, it is my duty to
acquire the newest now.

Of course, nothing will be set in stone until after Interbike is over. Does
anyone know additional details about the choice of colors for the shifter
hoods and lettering on the cranks?

Bruce

Old October 2nd 03, 09:41 PM
Pete Hausner

Raymo853 opined...the idea the new cassettes may not fit on 9 speed hubs
and 9 speed cassettes may not fit on 10 speed hubs. Not sure if that is true

but it might be.

10spd cassettes will work on 9spd hubs. 9spd cassettes, IIRC, will not work on
10spd hubs.

IMHO, seeing prices for the new D/A stuff ought be considered the fifth most
dangerous cardiac risk factor...just about equal to pork rinds.

PH