Pumping an air zound

Old April 4th 08, 12:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Pumping an air zound

How do people pump their air zounds? They seem awfully fragile, and I
don't particularly want to have to pull the valve out to get more
extension to be able to fit any of my pumps over it. But then when I
try to pull the tube off, I have to pull on the valve, and I feel like
I'm going to break it.

Then there's the matter of using a pocket pump, which just fits over
the valve, and I can't work out how to get to 80PSI without putting
any lateral force on the air zound. Or using my floor pump, where the
tube isn't long enough to reach the handlebars, and suffers from the
valve not having enough extension to wrap the floor pump's head
around.

And using a ye-olde style pump who actually screws onto the Schrader
valve but won't get anywhere near 80PSI. And suffers from both the
lateral force and tube-not-long-enough problems simultaneously.

In summary, air zounds are great devices[1], but horribly impractical.
How do other people get them charged up?

[1] Which scare the bejeebus out of my bus driver in retaliation for
him waking up my fellow night shift workers when he drives past their
houses tooting a friendly horn.

--
TimC
I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under
Old April 4th 08, 06:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Apr 4, 7:50*am, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:
Or using my floor pump, where the
tube isn't long enough to reach the handlebars, and suffers from the
valve not having enough extension to wrap the floor pump's head
around.

Buy a small valve extension, lay the bike on its side and use the
floor pump.

Graeme
Old April 4th 08, 09:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-04-04, Graeme Dods (aka Bruce)
On Apr 4, 7:50*am, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:
Or using my floor pump, where the
tube isn't long enough to reach the handlebars, and suffers from the
valve not having enough extension to wrap the floor pump's head
around.

Buy a small valve extension, lay the bike on its side and use the
floor pump.

Do they make such a thing, and more to the point, can I buy it at
local mowers-n-rural-bits-who-just-happen-to-sell-bike-puncture-repair-
kits-on-the-side?

--
TimC
However, my preamp still has a meat-driven knob. -- A. de Boer in ASR
Old April 4th 08, 10:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 20:14:17 +1100, TimC wrote:

Do they make such a thing, and more to the point, can I buy it at
local mowers-n-rural-bits-who-just-happen-to-sell-bike-puncture-repair-
kits-on-the-side?

The trick with Velocity Deep V rims is to use a presta/shraeder adapter to
extend it out if you're stuck with an emergency tube. As far as shraeder
extenders goes, they're a fairly common extra, but may not be available
everywhere. Your local 4WD emporium might be the go, but for you that
looks to be "local as in Dubbo".

Hang about.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/33f6aq

More searching will probably find something closer to the big shiny mirror
on the hill.

--
Dave Hughes -
"For is it not written, wheresoever two or three are gathered together,

Floor Pump Problem - Air Loss after Pumping C.H. Luu Techniques 6 July 5th 07 11:37 PM
Air Zound 3? Richard UK 4 April 5th 06 04:50 AM
Pumping tires with shock pump? Techniques 5 November 10th 05 06:18 PM
Pumping up tire on disc - how much pressure? Jens Kurt Heycke Techniques 5 February 28th 04 09:58 PM
Go Air Zound! Dave Kahn UK 14 December 4th 03 01:05 AM