Chain Stretch

Old September 19th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Chain Stretch

AMuzi wrote:
On 9/18/2017 3:56 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/18/2017 4:29 PM, Duane wrote:
On 18/09/2017 2:12 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 3:02:11 AM UTC+2,
jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 2:43:18 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
snip

I don't know the wear characteristics of the GP4000S
but would assume that it is slightly less that the
Gatorskin whose entire purpose is to live a long hard
life.

I have been trying to make a list of components so that
I can keep track of lifespan but I've changed bikes so
often until the last year that I have to start fresh.

Rather than those super expensive Campy chains you
might try the KMC Gold. These are supposed to be "lubed
for life" but I put so much faith in that, that I lube
them at regular intervals. One of the things I do more
carefully now is to clean the outside of the chain off.
This seems to cut down on that thick crud build-up on
the cassette.

I just got back from a 30 mile ride (50km). 12 miles of
it was on a gravel access road to the San Francisco Bay
Shoreline Trail. Since this was on my regular road bike
with 23 mm tires, it beat me up pretty good. That
probably doesn't help tire wear much and so I don't
know if I can compare tire life and chain life.

I'm far more concerned about cassette life though since
10 speed cassettes are so expensive for a reasonably
light version.

I don't particularly like Gatorskins because they do
not roll very well and they aren't very good in
corners. I tried the ThickSlick and it was a little
better and cheap but when it got a cut the rubber
started peeling away from the casing. Not a lot but some.

I tried Specialized Armadillos and they are very good
all around. I seem to remember in the past that they
got goat's head flats but the set I bought a year ago
didn't get any. Their problem is the staggering cost
compared to other tires. Almost twice the cost of the
competition. And you can only get them at a Specialized
dealer.

I tried the Michelin Pro4 Endurance and really liked
them. They roll and corner like a sew-up. It was VERY
noticeable. And I didn't get any flats with them. But
apparently they had trouble with them peeling off of
the carcass like I got with the ThickSlick.

So they released and improved version: The Michelin
Power Endurance. I have a set of those on the shelf and
will install them on the Pinarello Stelvio I'm
rebuilding. I hope they perform like the Pro4 Endurance
because I REALLY liked them.

It's not often when you can actually feel the
difference in performance. I had an Eddy Merckx Strata
OS that I can kick myself for selling but that was in
my moving to carbon fiber phase. That was the most
perfect riding bike I ever had - better than a Basso
Loto. Though with any luck I think that the Pinarello
will match it. The Basso flexes just the slightest
amount too much. The Stelvio uses the same tubes but
the bottom bracket isn't quite as low as the Basso and
the wheelbase is 2 cm shorter. That should cure the flex.

For a CX I've had several bikes. The Ridley Longbow
actually felt much better than anything else but both
of my Redlines were faster though they didn't ride
nearly as good. They were perhaps a little lighter but
their geometry is such that you can jump off of them at
the last second on these 25+% climbs just as the front
wheel begins to lift. And they descend these drops
pretty well with minimal braking.

So now I'm in a position where I'm pretty satisfied
with my bikes and can keep track of component life.

Hats off to people who keep track of all of this, but it
kind of reminds me when I got one of those early Quicken
programs that allowed me to keep track of household
expenses. It produced an expense pie chart, and a huge
slice of my personal pie was the mortgage. Goddamn!Â
Look how much I'm spending on the mortgage. I better
stop paying that.

Same way with chains and cassettes. Wow, look how much
I'm replacing those chains. I better stop doing that.

Jay I agree with you. My garmin records all my rides and
these are automatically uploaded to my garmin connect
account which bounces them to my strava account. Once a
week I input my rides from my garmin to another program
(Sporttracks) which is much better for analysing if I
want to. Here I enter which bike I used for every ride so
the mileage on every bike is known. When I replace a
chain I make a note which I can search for.
It is a little effort, but it doesn't affect my choice
for tires, chains or cassettes. It is what it is. I
refuse to ride ****ty tires or use third party chains
which shift not as well, just because the are cheaper. In
winter I ride Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons because
they have a better puncture resistance which is annoying
in the dark and cold.

I'm doing exactly what you're doing Lou with the
Garmin/Garmin Connect and Strava. But I also have an app
on my phone that tracks my maintenance. It's called
Feedback and it links to my Strava account to get my
mileage. It does alerts when distance or time expires on a
task.

It doesn't take much effort on my part except to click a
button when the maintenance is done.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with all that data?
How does it help?

There are guys who keep meticulous maintenance records for
cars, diet, home repairs etc too. Nothing wrong with that.

We have a couple of customers who can tell us how many miles
are on this chain, this tire, when brake pads or a gear wire
were changed or the last Ergo rebuild, all for multiple
bikes. One of our later-famous employees wrote the date on
the base tape of a new tubular (ancient analog system).
If you care, it's easy to track. If you don't no one will
think less of you.

I like to keep track of my performance. Also sharing the rides, pictures
etc. The maintenance is just something that's there and easy.

--
duane
Old September 19th 17, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 19/09/17 06:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with all that data? How does it
help?

Curiosity? Bragging rights?

It can be useful to keep a track of component longevity and compare wear
rates with other brands or models or maintenance routines.

--
JS

Old September 19th 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

I beat Mark yesterday! In your face Mark! He beat me two weeks ago on a long gravel climb. Chris always beats me. Mike sometimes (down the list of riding companions). That's my training log. Oh, I forgot -- I had a flat yesterday. I logged that by hanging the tube on the "to-patch" hook in my garage.

Captain's log, September 18, 2017 -- it's dark and raining. I have to ride home from work. (download that for six months).

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 19th 17, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

allowed me to keep track of household expenses.Â* It produced an
expense pie chart, and a huge slice of my personal pie was the
mortgage.Â* Goddamn!Â* Look how much I'm spending on the mortgage.Â* I
better stop paying that.

Same way with chains and cassettes.Â* Wow, look how much I'm replacing
those chains.Â* I better stop doing that.

[...]

and Strava.Â* But I also have an app on my phone that tracks my
maintenance.Â* It's called Feedback and it links to my Strava account to
get my mileage. It does alerts when distance or time expires on a task.

It doesn't take much effort on my part except to click a button when the
maintenance is done.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with all that data? How does it help?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I sense a negative undertone. Help with what? Does it need to help with anything? Did you never kept a log or travel diary or

I didn't mean anything particularly negative. I've always kept a
maintenance notebook on every car and motorcycle. Particularly with the
old motorcycle, which seems to have some quirky problems from time to
time, it's sometimes handy to remember what worked and what didn't, or
odd tricks that I used to solve problems.

I started keeping notes about bicycle maintenance a few years ago,
mostly as a curiosity. But I don't think I've gotten much actual benefit.

Oddly, if I'd kept maintenance records on our house, that probably would
have given me the most benefit over the years. Examples: writing down
paint color codes; notes on wiring (or a wiring diagram); notes on
landscaping plant types, fertilizers, whatever. But it didn't occur to
me to do a house maintenance notebook until just a few years ago.

About bicycling: I don't think performance or training records are going
to do me any good at this stage of my life. I know I'll get slower every
year. I prefer to ignore that, not see evidence of it!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old September 19th 17, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bk...+control+aging
Old September 19th 17, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I sense a negative undertone. Help with what? Does it need to help with anything? Did you never kept a log or travel diary or took pictures? For me to relive my rides in any way.

Lou, I keep track in a written log because I don't want information of every single thing that I do to be available on the Internet.

Old September 19th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 3:54:30 PM UTC-7, James wrote:

I use a wax/oil mix, and I don't find the residue difficult to remove at
all.

I take the chain off, put it in the pot with the solid wax and heat the
whole lot on a gas BBQ burner until the wax is completely liquified at
least. I then remove the chain carefully, and let the excess wax
mixture drip off before wiping any more excess off with a rag and
letting it cool enough I can handle it before putting it in storage.

While it is "cooking" and cooling I might rub off any build up of crud
from the jockey wheels and such and fit the other chain. I alternate 2
chains on one cassette.

On my cassettes it is hard enough that it has to be scraped off with a putty knife or even a chisel in some cases. The jockey wheels HAVE to be removed and scraped in the same fashion.

If I clean it every week I suppose it would be easier to clean but I ride and don't do maintenance until it's necessary.
Old September 19th 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

About bicycling: I don't think performance or training records are going
to do me any good at this stage of my life. I know I'll get slower every
year. I prefer to ignore that, not see evidence of it!

Touring diaries are fun to reread
Old September 19th 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:21:14 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:44:29 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/15/2017 4:48 AM, John B. wrote:

I've been thinking about chain wear, sometimes called ch

See section #8d.2 he
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/

Yup, Brandt (in all his glory :-)

Disagree. Completely. Brandt shines much, much more brightly, where the subject has more depth. These few words, although correct and useful, are most assuredly NOT Brandt at his finest.

Chain stretch - actual tech. James[_8_] Techniques 22 March 7th 13 01:34 PM
chain stretch question Mark Cleary[_2_] Techniques 16 November 16th 09 04:32 PM
Scary chain stretch Alan Braggins UK 1 December 17th 05 10:45 PM
Does chain stretch really exist? Ken Marcet Techniques 15 March 5th 05 10:15 PM
chain un-stretch? larry english Techniques 2 August 12th 03 06:41 PM