Replace inner chainring on 10 speed Shimano 105 Triple with smaller one

Old July 26th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replace inner chainring on 10 speed Shimano 105 Triple with smaller one

I am about to order a new road bike that comes with a 10-speed
Shimano 105 drive train components: 50-39-30T chainrings, 12-27T
cassette, front derailleur, rear derailleur with long cage, and STI
shift levers.
I would like to replace the 30T inner chainring with a smaller
one, preferably a 24T. Is this a compatible modification? I
recognize that it may not shift up to the middle chainring as smoothly
as stock, but as long as it gets the job done I would be satisfied.
To me, this is a deal breaker -- if I can't get a 24 inch low gear, I
will have to select a different bike.
Are the inner chainrings for 10-speed triples different than
those made for (1991) 7-speed triples? I have an old 28T and and old
24T chainring, each with the required 74 mm bolt diameter, I could try
out.

Old July 26th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 25, 9:12 pm, wrote:
I am about to order a new road bike that comes with a 10-speed
Shimano 105 drive train components: 50-39-30T chainrings, 12-27T
cassette, front derailleur, rear derailleur with long cage, and STI
shift levers.
I would like to replace the 30T inner chainring with a smaller
one, preferably a 24T. Is this a compatible modification? I
recognize that it may not shift up to the middle chainring as smoothly
as stock, but as long as it gets the job done I would be satisfied.
To me, this is a deal breaker -- if I can't get a 24 inch low gear, I
will have to select a different bike.

The 24 to 39 and 39 to 24 shift is "iffy" with an STI front shifter,
IME.

OTOH, 105 RD will clear a 30T cog, that and a 28T inner will give you
a "25 inch" gear.

Another alternative is using a friction shifter for the front (barend,
DT, 'traditional' Campy Ergo). Then, you can do as you wish.

Old July 26th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 25, 9:38 pm, jim beam wrote:
wrote:
I am about to order a new road bike that comes with a 10-speed
Shimano 105 drive train components: 50-39-30T chainrings, 12-27T
cassette, front derailleur, rear derailleur with long cage, and STI
shift levers.
I would like to replace the 30T inner chainring with a smaller
one, preferably a 24T. Is this a compatible modification? I
recognize that it may not shift up to the middle chainring as smoothly
as stock, but as long as it gets the job done I would be satisfied.
To me, this is a deal breaker -- if I can't get a 24 inch low gear, I
will have to select a different bike.
Are the inner chainrings for 10-speed triples different than
those made for (1991) 7-speed triples? I have an old 28T and and old
24T chainring, each with the required 74 mm bolt diameter, I could try
out.

why??? what's wrong with an mtb crank?-

What's a MTB crank going to do for the OP?

Old July 26th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
[...]

give him a lower granny gear without all this messing about?
Old July 26th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

RBrickston wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:
[...]

And when he wants to use the 50 tooth ring?

for what? how many people /need/ to pedal faster than 30mph?

bottom line, look at the op's question. they're not driven by speed,
they're driven by either touring or lack of fitness. mtb gearing is a
better solution to meet their goal.
Old July 26th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Bernard

On Jul 25, 9:21 pm, jim beam wrote:
RBrickston wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:
[...]

better solution to meet their goal.- Hide quoted text -

The OP is clearly not interested in replacing the cranks. He's going
to buy the 105 triple bike if he can use a 24-tooth granny he already
has.

Old July 26th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Joe Bernard wrote:
On Jul 25, 9:21 pm, jim beam wrote:
RBrickston wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:
[...]

but that's the point - he should be interested! by the time he's done
dicking about with cogs, and quite likely derailleurs and chain keepers,
he'd have spent less money and less time just going mtb.