he fired a handgun at a bicyclist

Old July 30th 09, 03:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Phil H

Default he fired a handgun at a bicyclist

On Jul 27, 4:17*pm, Still Just Me -
wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:31:18 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

When there is an accident involving a cyclist it's
usually almost always the cyclist fault. If my department ever gets
funding for overtime cyclist enforcement, I'm signing up and writing
my 2 citation books worth.'

Typical cop attitude toward cyclists, IMHE.

I'm a *cyclist* and that's my attitude.

*most* cyclists (not pointing fingers at anyone here, mind you) are more
reckless, careless, and just plain scofflaws than any other road users,
and that's saying a lot, as **** poor as the average driver is.

I'm guessing the drivers are much better where you are than where I
am. Here it's open season on cyclists.

But, more to the point, cops are supposed to be unbiased observers
enforcing the laws without prejudice, not haters with a mission to
harass and abuse.

"*most* cyclists (not pointing fingers at anyone here, mind you) are
more
reckless, careless, and just plain scofflaws than any other road
users,
and that's saying a lot, as **** poor as the average driver is"

I don't understand why someone would think this let alone say it.
Automobile drivers kill 37 000 people a year in the US. Does anyone
think they do that while being careful and considerate of other road
users? I don't know what it is but blowing a stop sign on a bike is
considered worse than tailgating someone at 60 mph.

Phil H
Old July 30th 09, 03:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Phil H" wrote in message
[...]
I don't understand why someone would think this let alone say it.

Automobile drivers kill 37 000 people a year in the US. Does anyone
think they do that while being careful and considerate of other road
users? I don't know what it is but blowing a stop sign on a bike is
considered worse than tailgating someone at 60 mph.

Driving ceased to be enjoyable a couple of generations ago. It is now the
most god awful drudgery to drive anywhere anymore. You want to get to
wherever you are going as fast as you can and other drivers are always in
your way. That is why everyone is always driving like a cretin.

Cycling, unlike driving a car, is enjoyable which is why we do it. It would
be even more enjoyable if we had zillions of miles of bike trails on which
to ride instead of having to share the road with drivers. The main thing is
to stay out of the lane. A highway must have a shoulder or else I won't ride
on it, at least not for long.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 30th 09, 08:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Still Just Me -" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:39:23 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

Driving ceased to be enjoyable a couple of generations ago. It is now the
most god awful drudgery to drive anywhere anymore. You want to get to
wherever you are going as fast as you can and other drivers are always in
your way. That is why everyone is always driving like a cretin.

Cycling, unlike driving a car, is enjoyable which is why we do it. It
would
be even more enjoyable if we had zillions of miles of bike trails on which
to ride instead of having to share the road with drivers. The main thing
is
to stay out of the lane. A highway must have a shoulder or else I won't
ride
on it, at least not for long.

Well, I actually still enjoy driving, and I actually do it safely.

I stopped enjoying driving by the time I was 40, about 30 years ago.

That noted, even a shoulder on the road is not enough when an auto
does a right hook in front of you, or pulls a left turn abruptly
across your path, or forces you into the curb or onto the shoulder at
speed.

I have had all 3 of those events happen to me and the explanation is always
the same ... they didn't see me! Even so, you are far safer riding on a
shoulder than taking the lane.

Old July 30th 09, 11:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Phil H wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It's worse because it's more likely to cause a crash. How hard is that
to understand?

Or do you act like some arrogant pedestrians and just assume that since
you'll have sympathy when you get hit that it really will be the
motorist's fault, and that you don't have to take due care to protect
your own ass? Unfortunately that's the behavior I see.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 30th 09, 02:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Phil H wrote:
On Jul 27, 4:17 pm, Still Just Me
wrote:

[...]
I don't understand why someone would think this let alone say it.
Automobile drivers kill 37 000 people a year in the US. Does anyone
think they do that while being careful and considerate of other road
users? I don't know what it is but blowing a stop sign on a bike is
considered worse than tailgating someone at 60 mph.

It's worse because it's more likely to cause a crash. How hard is that to
understand?

No, it's better you nincompoop! If a cyclist goes through a stop and causes
a crash, it is the cyclist that will be killed. Tailgating can cause the
kind of crash that will get everyone in both vehicles killed.

Or do you act like some arrogant pedestrians and just assume that since
you'll have sympathy when you get hit that it really will be the
motorist's fault, and that you don't have to take due care to protect your
own ass? Unfortunately that's the behavior I see.

Take your blinders off and look around why don't you? If you do, you will
see zillions of examples of motorists causing mayhem on the highways because
of their congenital stupidity. The truth is that most folks are too freaking
stupid to be driving motor vehicles. After all, nature only designed us
humans for walking at 5 mph, not for speeding down a highway at 75 mph in an
infernal contraption called a motor vehicle. Even riding a horse is too fast
for us. I say walk or die!

Old July 30th 09, 02:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
Phil H wrote:
wrote:

[...]

So you claim. But even if that sweeping generalization was true, the
bike crash has about a zero probability of injury to the innocent party.
Only nanny states protect people from themselves. Any cyclist who relies
on motorists to brake or swerve to avoid hitting them, whether adhering
to the law or not, won't last long. Tailgating, like speeding, is
illegal. I suppose you have a pat rationalization for it, too.

Or do you act like some arrogant pedestrians and just assume that since
you'll have sympathy when you get hit that it really will be the
motorist's fault, and that you don't have to take due care to protect
your own ass? Unfortunately that's the behavior I see.

You're just a "law & order" type, except (like most people) when you're
driving. Then it's cowboy rules, natural law, & stuff like that. Of
course everyone else is "arrogant", not you. You are projecting. Your
driving sense of self-entitlement is so deep you don't even see the
arrogance of it. Keep telling yourself you're entirely safe as long as
you ride lawfully, and of course, blame the hostility you encounter from
motorists on cyclists who don't. Keep the myth alive at the water cooler
at work, but spare this NG more bull****, we're all stocked up.
Old July 30th 09, 03:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Peter Cole writes:

Nate Nagel wrote:
Phil H wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Most bike crashes I see are caused by pedestrians walking in front of a
bike. And they come off badly indeed.
Old July 30th 09, 03:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 30, 6:12*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Phil H wrote:
wrote:

[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Down here PEDESTRIANS ARE USED TO RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES, even when
the walk sign.

And drivers on cell phones don't bother to look twice, if at all.
Old July 30th 09, 03:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 30, 9:58*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Phil H wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You're just a "law & order" type,

Law and order? It sounds more like the LAW OF THE JUNGLE, but he's not
an isolated case in America. Too many just act like that and never say
it. Everyone to himself, greedy cops, no rights for pedestrians or
cyclists.

There's another United States like that... Estados Unidos Mexicanos or
United States of Mexico.
Old July 30th 09, 03:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Jul 30, 9:58*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Phil H wrote:
wrote:

[...]

No, I don't excuse tailgating or speeding. However, I am under no
delusion that either is nearly as dangerous as running a red light.

Or do you act like some arrogant pedestrians and just assume that since
you'll have sympathy when you get hit that it really will be the
motorist's fault, and that you don't have to take due care to protect
your own ass? *Unfortunately that's the behavior I see.

You're just a "law & order" type, except (like most people) when you're
driving. Then it's cowboy rules, natural law, & stuff like that. Of
course everyone else is "arrogant", not you. You are projecting. Your
driving sense of self-entitlement is so deep you don't even see the
arrogance of it. Keep telling yourself you're entirely safe as long as
you ride lawfully, and of course, blame the hostility you encounter from
motorists on cyclists who don't. Keep the myth alive at the water cooler
at work, but spare this NG more bull****, we're all stocked up.

You obviously don't know me very well. All I'm asking is that
everyone play by the rules. With few exceptions (underposted speed
limits being the only one that I ever see on anything resembling a
regular basis, and those usually do not involve roads that have
significant cyclist traffic - most of them being limited access
highways) the rules of the road are there to protect road users, not
be a pain in their ass.

nate