New bicycle idea

Old October 5th 04, 05:02 PM
Mark Mitchell

On 2004-10-04, BringYouToLife wrote:
Blair P. seems to know what I'm talking about, thanks, Blair, that was
really interesting info.

I figured someone must have already tried such things, just didn't
know.

So, if someone using my idea went 150mph, but the problem is he'll
get blown over, but what about using the increased power efficiency to
haul things, or power a 4 wheeled small car more easily?

The guy who went 150mph did *not* use your 'idea'. He used a compound
drivetrain (if that's how you'd describe it).

Standard pedals and crank connected to a large chainwheel to a small cog
behind the seat, connected to another large chainwheel, to a small cog on
the wheel.

Basically, a *huge* gear. For some reason the number 134 gear inches is
stuck in my head, but that could be way off.

As I recall, he had to be towed up to 60mph, because the gear was to big to
be turned from a standing start.

Mark

--
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

Old October 5th 04, 05:08 PM
Mark Mitchell

On 2004-10-05, BringYouToLife wrote:
Blair has pointed out that the record is 150mph with a bike with a
very large chain wheel(sprocket) and a very small cog(racing cog).
The size of the chain wheel(sprocket) is limited by the leverage of
the pedal, however. Your tangential velocity you can achieve on a
large chain wheel is limited by your leverage of the crank, or pedal
lever.
MOre power allows faster tangential velocity or a very large chain
wheel(sprocket).

Do you understand what I'm getting at, Blair?

Did you mean, by flat-pedal bike, he was riding a bike like I
described, where you aren't spinning pedals around, but rather
ratcheting the chain wheel, like a stair master. This would allow you
to turn a much larger Chain wheel.

Do you happen to know what the diameter of the chain wheel was on
the bike that went 150mph?

Here is all the info I could find on it;
http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

Mark

--
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

Old October 5th 04, 05:10 PM
Mark Mitchell

On 2004-10-05, BringYouToLife wrote:
I don't understand why you're need to behave like little know it all
bitches so over-rides your curiousity about other people's ideas, but
oh well.

Maybe your parents disapproved of you, I know I would have, but
really, I know you see me as a weak authority figure, the weak father
stripped of his omnipotence, and you want to kill God, because it's
your primal instinct, but your animal consciousness is what separates
you from God.

Biking is a great way to circumsize the animal mind and merge into
consciousness with God, and thereby see into all mysteries and
super-intelligence through telepathy, rather than the effort of
learning and struggling, the struggling of Adam in the garden.

Forgive me, but my doesn't this one phrase sound indicative; "Rather than
the effort of learning".

Says it all, really.

Mark

--
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

Old October 5th 04, 05:20 PM
Mark Mitchell

On 2004-10-05, Curtis L Russell wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:50:41 GMT, Mark Mitchell
wrote:

All that for a couple hundred spent at a metal fabricator's shop.

What are you waiting for?

Read some of his other posts. This guy must be a troll from some other
list(s) that found his way here. I think I hear the sounds of a loon
on the lake...

I have read them and I (mostly) agree. Personally, I don't get a troll
vibe. More like undereducated loon.

And yes, I know that we shouldn't engage in conversation with the
delusional, but sometimes I just can't help it. A character flaw of mine.
Sorry.

Mark

--
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

Old October 6th 04, 02:05 AM
BringYouToLife

sorry about those stupid nasty words I said to someone back there, not
to Blair or Mark or the others with positive comments. That was
interesting what you guys wrote, lots of cool info. I'm new here and
not used to the snottiness of some.

thanks for your intelligent posts. I had rode on a bike like the
one I was describing and the acceration and power seemed so strong, I
never tested it out much though, just sort of an eccentric piece of
exercise equipment in an old gym.
Old October 6th 04, 03:49 AM
BringYouToLife

Mark, I looked up that record of 166.9 mph, did you know Fred
Rompelberg was 50 years old when he set that record?
Old October 6th 04, 03:54 AM
BringYouToLife

also, Mark and Blair, another interesting fact was, Fred Rompelberg
set the land speed record by a bicycle at the Bonneville Salt Flats on
20” and 24” wheels.

http://www.arrowracing.com/tires/

I find that bizarre, those are very small diameter tires, like a
little kids bike.
Old October 6th 04, 04:28 AM
Blair P. Houghton

On 2004-10-05, BringYouToLife wrote:
Do you happen to know what the diameter of the chain wheel was on
the bike that went 150mph?

Here is all the info I could find on it;
http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

Hm.

I've never seen the car or the bike shown in that picture.

Honestly, I think I was actually remembering the 1973 record.

The bike was more conventional, may have had a compound gear
or may not, and was following a 50's era Chevy.

--Blair
"I have no recollection of sniper fire
on the day in question."
Old October 6th 04, 07:24 AM
Mark Mitchell

On 2004-10-05, BringYouToLife wrote:
Do you happen to know what the diameter of the chain wheel was on
the bike that went 150mph?

Here is all the info I could find on it;
http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

Hm.

I've never seen the car or the bike shown in that picture.

Honestly, I think I was actually remembering the 1973 record.

The bike was more conventional, may have had a compound gear
or may not, and was following a 50's era Chevy.

That's the only speed record I know anything about. I first ran across it
way back when I had a subscription to Bicycling magazine, and they had an
article on it when it happened. Made an impression on me.

Other minor trivia that I recall from that article way back then,
apparently on one of the early attempts John Howard got up to some high
speed (100+) and had a flat tire.

They pull the tire off, can't find any kind of a leak. Turns out that the
centrifucal(sp?) force was high enough to depress the valve on the
Schraeder valve. Fixed it with a valve cap from a car on the site.

Now you know everything I know about bicycle speed records.

Mark

--
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

Old October 7th 04, 05:20 AM
Pete

"BringYouToLife" wrote in message
m...
Mark, I looked up that record of 166.9 mph, did you know Fred
Rompelberg was 50 years old when he set that record?

On a bike totally unsuited to any other purpose. And drafting behind a car.
The undrafted record (fully faired recumbent) is just upwards of 80 or so.
http://www.ihpva.org/hpva/hpvarec7.html

Again, on a bike totally unsuited to any purpose besides breaking a record.
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...2004/Varna.htm

Very impressive, but it won't help me get to work on roads populated by
other vehicles, people, rain, dogs, potholes, etc.

Just like a Top Fuel car going 300+. Impressive, but useless for anything
but the dragstrip.

Pete