Cyclist dies after hitting car door

Old April 14th 07, 04:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Martin

Default Cyclist dies after hitting car door

http://tinyurl.com/2ujdxk

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don't ride close to parked cars, even if you can't see anyone inside.
Some time ago I very nearly hit a car door that was swung open by
someone lying across the front seats - there was no head visible through
the car windows.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.
Old April 14th 07, 05:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-14, Martin (aka Bruce)

http://tinyurl.com/2ujdxk

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don't ride close to parked cars, even if you can't see anyone inside.
Some time ago I very nearly hit a car door that was swung open by
someone lying across the front seats - there was no head visible through
the car windows.

There is the remotest chance something positive could come from this.

The guy may have been riding along in a car door lane. The coroner
might just be useful enough to find that car door lanes are a really
stupid idea, and recommend for their immediate removal from all roads.

I won't hold my breath.

--
TimC
"Saving four times is just paranoia. Unless you're using an Exabyte
Old April 14th 07, 08:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
hemyd

On 2007-04-14, Martin (aka Bruce)

http://tinyurl.com/2ujdxk

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don't ride close to parked cars, even if you can't see anyone inside.
Some time ago I very nearly hit a car door that was swung open by
someone lying across the front seats - there was no head visible through
the car windows.

There is the remotest chance something positive could come from this.

The guy may have been riding along in a car door lane. The coroner
might just be useful enough to find that car door lanes are a really
stupid idea, and recommend for their immediate removal from all roads.

I won't hold my breath.

--
TimC
"Saving four times is just paranoia. Unless you're using an Exabyte
5gig/8mm tapedrive." -- Graham Reed

It's quite sad. Without wishing to detract from this bad situation, on a
number of occasions I pass a driver who has opened his/her car door as I am
next to them. I normally say loudly "Please watch out!" All I ever get in
return is a string of obscenities. If these brave gallant drivers (I am also
a driver) got rid of the perception that cyclists (and in fact anyone else
on their road) are scum, then we'd all be better off.

The person who opened the car door without looking committed an offence
which resulted in death. I hope he gets a suitable slap on the wrist...

Henry M.

Old April 14th 07, 10:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:35:34 +1000
hemyd wrote:
It's quite sad. Without wishing to detract from this bad situation, on a
number of occasions I pass a driver who has opened his/her car door as I am
next to them. I normally say loudly "Please watch out!" All I ever get in

The only time this happened to me I called "watch out" and got back
"sorry!"

Zebee
Old April 14th 07, 10:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Richard Sherratt

hemyd wrote:
It's quite sad. Without wishing to detract from this bad situation, on a
number of occasions I pass a driver who has opened his/her car door as I am
next to them. I normally say loudly "Please watch out!" All I ever get in

The only time this happened to me I called "watch out" and got back
"sorry!"

That's good.

One time it happened to me (no bike lane), the two young guys in the
hot Torana behind me, who had hung back waiting for a chance to
overtake, abused the door opener and apologised to me on behalf of all
car drivers.

Amazing, but true.
--
Regards.
Richard.
Old April 14th 07, 12:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Campag_nut

One time it happened to me (no bike lane), the two young guys in the
hot Torana behind me, who had hung back waiting for a chance to
overtake, abused the door opener and apologised to me on behalf of all
car drivers.

Amazing, but true.
--
Regards.
Richard.

Are you sure they weren't high on something???

Old April 15th 07, 03:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Martin" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/2ujdxk

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don't ride close to parked cars, even if you can't see anyone inside. Some
time ago I very nearly hit a car door that was swung open by someone lying
across the front seats - there was no head visible through the car
windows.

I nearly got cleaned up going home on Friday......was on the Singlespeed
mountain bike and was heading East on Elizabeth St in Richmond after
crossing over Hoddle St. I was in the bike lane and next thing I know a guy
doesn't just open a car door, he throws it open so hard that it goes to full
extension......I had stuff all time to react and so I swerved out and the
edge of the door clipped my handlebar and little finger on the LHS. As I
swerved I can recall saying "Fcuk ME!!" pretty loudly and once I recovered I
slowed down a bit and looked over my shoulder and the guy was basically
giving me an apologetic wave and mouthed "Sorry" - couldn't be arsed going
back to say anything (what would it achieve anyway?) and so I hope that he
got as much as a scare as I did and might check his mirror before opening
his door in the future.

Stay Safe.

Gags

Old April 15th 07, 08:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Richard Sherratt

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:18:25 GMT, "Campag_nut"
wrote:

One time it happened to me (no bike lane), the two young guys in the
hot Torana behind me, who had hung back waiting for a chance to
overtake, abused the door opener and apologised to me on behalf of all
car drivers.

Amazing, but true.

Are you sure they weren't high on something???

They were lucid :-)

I was surprised, but happy.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old April 16th 07, 12:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_58_]

Martin Wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/2ujdxk

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don't ride close to parked cars, even if you can't see anyone inside.
Some time ago I very nearly hit a car door that was swung open by
someone lying across the front seats - there was no head visible
through
the car windows.

Martin

.

sincerest condolences from me and on behalf of those of WoJ too.

car doors are seriously lethal to riders, and often when not fatal
cause horrific chest injuries. They can also be lethal to the very
drivers who open them without thinking when taken out by a another
vehicle, like a truck.

so this is an education thing that is seriously lacking in driver ed ,
even though the road rules are quite specific, this is way too common.

marked bike lanes exacerbate this lethal aspect of riding when we are
compelled to use them. Copenhagen lanes might remove this but will not
overcome the other bad aspects of removing adult riders from where they
fare best , on the roadway as vehicular traffic.

all road users have to have their wits about them at all times.....

heads up, look ahead, never assume.

--
rooman

Old April 16th 07, 12:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

On 2007-04-14, Martin (aka Bruce)
http://tinyurl.com/2ujdxk

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don't ride close to parked cars, even if you can't see anyone inside.
Some time ago I very nearly hit a car door that was swung open by
someone lying across the front seats - there was no head visible through
the car windows.

There is the remotest chance something positive could come from this.

The guy may have been riding along in a car door lane. The coroner
might just be useful enough to find that car door lanes are a really
stupid idea, and recommend for their immediate removal from all roads.

I won't hold my breath.

The circumstances are pretty sketchy. The report makes it sound as
though he ran into an open door like it had been open for some time...
Or was it opened on him by someone who wasn't looking?

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like