Cyclists dies after hitting a tree

Old August 8th 15, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Cyclists dies after hitting a tree

Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301
Old August 8th 15, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/08/2015 08:02, Alycidon wrote:
Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

Ha, I like this oxymoron statement; "They said his "excellent driving
skills" had enabled him to avoid hitting a truck.
However, they said that, "in swerving to avoid it, he had hit a tree".

Old August 8th 15, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 08/08/2015 08:02, Alycidon wrote:
Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

His cyclist brain obviously took over his drivers brain.
Old August 8th 15, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/08/2015 08:39, David Lang wrote:
On 08/08/2015 08:02, Alycidon wrote:
Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

His cyclist brain obviously took over his drivers brain.

Indeed, if he'd have used his cycle that day he would still be alive.
Old August 8th 15, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 8 August 2015 08:38:52 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 08/08/2015 08:02, Alycidon wrote:
Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

Ha, I like this oxymoron statement; "They said his "excellent driving
skills" had enabled him to avoid hitting a truck.
However, they said that, "in swerving to avoid it, he had hit a tree".

I suppose it was slightly better than putting the innocent lorry driver's life at risk due to his "skills". Should have stuck to the bike though, a Porsche on narrow, twisty Scottish roads is not a sensible choice of transport.

Old August 8th 15, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/08/2015 08:58, Alycidon wrote:
On Saturday, 8 August 2015 08:38:52 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 08/08/2015 08:02, Alycidon wrote:
Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

Ha, I like this oxymoron statement; "They said his "excellent driving
skills" had enabled him to avoid hitting a truck.
However, they said that, "in swerving to avoid it, he had hit a tree".

I suppose it was slightly better than putting the innocent lorry driver's life at risk due to his "skills". Should have stuck to the bike though, a Porsche on narrow, twisty Scottish roads is not a sensible choice of transport.

Indeed, but I dispute the term "excellent driving skills" in avoiding
hitting the truck. Any driver would obviously try to avoid hitting
another vehicle, it's instinctive.
Old August 8th 15, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/08/2015 09:07, Bod wrote:
On 08/08/2015 08:58, Alycidon wrote:
On Saturday, 8 August 2015 08:38:52 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 08/08/2015 08:02, Alycidon wrote:
Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

Ha, I like this oxymoron statement; "They said his "excellent driving
skills" had enabled him to avoid hitting a truck.
However, they said that, "in swerving to avoid it, he had hit a tree".

I suppose it was slightly better than putting the innocent lorry
driver's life at risk due to his "skills". Should have stuck to the
bike though, a Porsche on narrow, twisty Scottish roads is not a
sensible choice of transport.

Indeed, but I dispute the term "excellent driving skills" in avoiding
hitting the truck. Any driver would obviously try to avoid hitting
another vehicle, it's instinctive.

Indeed, but I dispute the term "excellent driving skills in avoiding the
truck". *Any* driver would instinctively try to avoid a collision
with another vehicle.

Old August 8th 15, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/08/2015 09:10, Bod wrote:
On 08/08/2015 09:07, Bod wrote:
[...]

Whoops! Sorry for the repeated post.
Old August 8th 15, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Despite having "excellent skills" and knowing every twist and turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-33829301

As everyone knows all too well motor vehicles on narrow roads have very little in the way of defensive driving options if anyone veers very far into the wrong lane. A cyclist can often squeeze between obstacles not possible even in a small car. Going off the road down a steep bank is often safer on a bike than a motor vehicle partly because of the lower speed. Cars will roll until the roof on most cars crushes the occupants.

On the other hand the cliff side of any uphill _must_ have at least a m for the bike lane. If a motor vehicle is speeding around a switchback there is no where for the cyclist to go except into rock and even that might not avoid getting struck by the car as well.

For Brown to be taken seriously on carbon abatement he needs to widen popular cycling roads 1 m, at least on the uphill cliff side. Simply putting up signs like "Staying Alive Is No Accident" or "Historic Highway" doesn't get it.

Bret Cahill