Cycling and vegetarianism

Old August 31st 04, 08:30 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Preston Crawford wrote:
I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel good,
especially as I ramp up my mileage. So last summer I started eating fish
again after being a vegetarian for 5 years. I'm thinking of starting
turkey again. I think between turkey and fish and egg whites and yogurt I
should be good to go in terms of protein.

Has anyone here struggled with this issue? Do you think I'm doing the
right thing or do you think I should consider trying sources like soy
before turkey? The main reason for choosing turkey is because of its ease
of use as a protein source at work. Throw together a quick sandwich and
theres 20% of my protein for the day, you know.

Preston

Naah. Been a vegetarian for 30 years, biked & hiked a lot. You don't
really need all that much protein. If you do, cottage cheese is the cure.
What you may need to do is cut down on empty calories (except, perhaps,
on days with extremely high caloric demands).

Of course, it isn't as easy as the 'merican way.

Is what you might be feeling simply age?

-frank
Old August 31st 04, 08:40 PM
David Reuteler

Preston Crawford wrote:

I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel good,
especially as I ramp up my mileage. So last summer I started eating fish
again after being a vegetarian for 5 years. I'm thinking of starting
turkey again. I think between turkey and fish and egg whites and yogurt I
should be good to go in terms of protein.

Has anyone here struggled with this issue? Do you think I'm doing the
right thing or do you think I should consider trying sources like soy
before turkey? The main reason for choosing turkey is because of its ease
of use as a protein source at work. Throw together a quick sandwich and
theres 20% of my protein for the day, you know.

dude, whey protein or cottage cheese. there's no need to eat either fish or
turkey if you don't want to.
--
david reuteler

Old August 31st 04, 08:52 PM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:30:01 +0000 (UTC), Frank Miles
wrote:

In article ,
Preston Crawford wrote:
[...]

I have to go with eat the turkey or chicken. Steamed chicken breast with
the skin peeled off is the best source of clean meat protein I can
think of. It isn't great on taste but then the purpose is nutrition and
not gourmet cooking. Works for me and saves a cow (cattle?), plus there
is no ridiculous fat content like going to McDonalds. Canned Tuna is
another good one but the fishy taste (wonder why?) will limit your intake.
Going vegetarian may seem good on principle but those farm animals are
going
to get killed either way, and if your justification is health, the bird
meat doesn't hurt. Just give the skin to the cat or dog.
FWIW when I set out on a long ride I eat about 3 chicken breasts, 6 raw
eggs,
and a glass of Orange Juice. I take a gallon of that for carbs. Semi
vegetarian diet.
Bill Baka

Old August 31st 04, 08:54 PM
neil0502

David Reuteler wrote

Preston Crawford wrote:

[...]

tofu
soy milk
beans
cheese
nuts
seeds
yogurt
veggies (like brussel sprouts and potatoes)
eggs
supplements (bars, powders)

You'll also want to understand a little about 'complete proteins.'
Here. check this out: http://snipurl.com/8s1y

....I'm getting hungry ;-)

Old August 31st 04, 08:58 PM
PK

Preston Crawford wrote:
I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to
feel good, especially as I ramp up my mileage. So last summer I
started eating fish again after being a vegetarian for 5 years.
I'm thinking of starting turkey again. I think between turkey
and fish and egg whites and yogurt I should be good to go in
terms of protein.

Has anyone here struggled with this issue? Do you think I'm
doing the right thing or do you think I should consider trying
sources like soy before turkey? The main reason for choosing
turkey is because of its ease of use as a protein source at
work. Throw together a quick sandwich and theres 20% of my
protein for the day, you know.

If vegetarianism is a moral issue then fish always seems to me a strange
choice. Over fishing is a major issue world wide and the way they are killed
is not particularly humane.

Lamb seems to me a better choice, reared as an almost feral animal in most
parts of the world on land not suitstable for crops or cattle eg here in the
uk the main sheep areas are the Welsh hills and the lake disrtict.

pk

Old August 31st 04, 09:05 PM
Bob in CT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:52:50 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:30:01 +0000 (UTC), Frank Miles
wrote:

In article ,
Preston Crawford wrote:
[...]

I'm the opposite: I'm on low carb, and fat is my friend. I ate low fat
for many, many years and low carb simply makes me feel better. YMMV.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply