Kent 1800 Trail Blaster

Old October 5th 03, 02:14 PM
Phantom of the Bosque

Default Kent 1800 Trail Blaster

I picked up a Kent 1800 Trail Blaster (26" Men's) at an auction. It was
still in the box and very cheap so I thought, why not.

Is this a piece of junk? Can anyone give me a guesstimate on the MSRP on
this bike?

I just ride occasionally around the neighborhood so I am sure that it will
be fine for me but I am just curious as
to what it would have sold for in a retail store.

I tried a Google search but did not have any luck finding references.

I have cross posted to two groups in hoping that someone can give me some
feedback.

TIA

Old October 5th 03, 03:47 PM
Pete

"Phantom of the Bosque" wrote in message
.. .
I picked up a Kent 1800 Trail Blaster (26" Men's) at an auction. It was
still in the box and very cheap so I thought, why not.

Is this a piece of junk? Can anyone give me a guesstimate on the MSRP on
this bike?

This is a standard dept store bike, on the order of NEXT, Pacific, Murray,
etc. Sold at Meijer stores in the midwest.

MSRP maybe $100-175, depending on how it is outfitted.

http://www.kentbicycles.com/bikes/list.html.195.html

There is a recall on another of their models. Ride carefully.
http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/758/
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03018.html

Pete

Old October 5th 03, 04:01 PM
Buck

I picked up a Kent 1800 Trail Blaster (26" Men's) at an auction. It was
still in the box and very cheap so I thought, why not.

Is this a piece of junk? Can anyone give me a guesstimate on the MSRP on
this bike?

I just ride occasionally around the neighborhood so I am sure that it will
be fine for me but I am just curious as
to what it would have sold for in a retail store.

Here's the link to Kent Bicycles: http://www.kentbicycles.com

This looks like the typical department-store fodder. The first problem you
might encounter is the fit. A "26 inch" bicycle in department-store speak
refers to the size of the wheel, not the size of the frame. Just like your
pants aren't one-size-fits-all, neither is a bicycle. If you are outside the
parameters of the "average" person, the bike won't fit you well. If it
doesn't fit correctly, it can lead to all kinds of physical problems and if
the fit is really bad, you will feel it almost immediately. Listen to your
body. Riding a bike at a gentle pace shouldn't hurt. If it does, and you
can't adjust the bike to fit properly, you will end up parking the
bike -which will be a waste of your money, no matter how cheap the bike was.
Here's a good place to start for more information:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

I'm sure that this bike is loaded with bottom-end components. You may have
problems keeping it in adjustment so it shifts and brakes properly. Do not
to leave it outside and be sure to dry it off if you get it wet. Rusty
fasteners are a common sight on cheap bikes.

I realize you came here trying to find out how big of a bargain you got, but
the issues of fit are more important. If you really must know, the bike
probably cost around $80 at the store.

-Buck

Old October 5th 03, 04:53 PM
Phantom of the Bosque

I realize you came here trying to find out how big of a bargain you got,
but
the issues of fit are more important. If you really must know, the bike
probably cost around $80 at the store.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew that it was a low end bike when I got it.

I only paid $60 for it new so I guess it is worth that much. I just piddle
around the neighborhood
so it will do for me.

Old October 6th 03, 04:49 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:47:20 GMT, "Pete" wrote:
I picked up a Kent 1800 Trail Blaster (26" Men's) at an auction. It was

This is a standard dept store bike, on the order of NEXT, Pacific, Murray,
etc. Sold at Meijer stores in the midwest.

Sold at Bennys stores in/around Rhode Island.

MSRP maybe $100-175, depending on how it is outfitted.

Actual store price probably $100 or less. Probably similar to:
http://www.hellobennys.com/circular/page_5.htm
(scroll to bottom of page)

Pete

--