Old SRAM 'master link' with new Shimano chain?

Old October 21st 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Old SRAM 'master link' with new Shimano chain?

can i use an old SRAM 'powerlink' with a new Shimano chain?

issues: old with new
SRAM with shimano..

what might happen if i try it?

wle.
Old October 22nd 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Oct 21, 3:53*pm, " wrote:
can i use an old SRAM 'powerlink' with a new Shimano chain?

issues: old with new
* * * * * * *SRAM with shimano..

In the more general context I have used Powelinks with shimano
chains.
But define "old" and "new" and tell us something about the width of
the powerlink and chain.
I expect it can be made to work just fine if the powerlink is designed
for a chain of the same width as the one you want to use it with.

I also expect you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if will work just
by trying to assemble it.
If (1)you cannot get the chain assembled or (2) there is obvious slop
in the powerlink pins and/or the PL is obviously too wide, then it is
less than ideal.

Otherwise, you'll probably be fine.

DR
Old October 22nd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 21, 3:53*pm, " wrote:
can i use an old SRAM 'powerlink' with a new Shimano chain?

issues: old with new
* * * * * * *SRAM with shimano..

what might happen if i try it?

wle.

Snap/power/master type links wear just like the chain does. I suggest
just buying a new link. Sram, Wipperman, etc.
Old October 22nd 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 21, 11:21*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Oct 21, 3:53*pm, " wrote:

can i use an old SRAM 'powerlink' with a new Shimano chain?

issues: old with new
* * * * * * *SRAM with shimano..

In the more general context I have used Powelinks with shimano
chains.
But define "old" and "new" and tell us something about the width of
the powerlink and chain.

old
well the old chain was at 1/16 wear
widths are the same - 7/8 speed