Can I use Dura-Ace on Ultegra?

Old October 22nd 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Can I use Dura-Ace on Ultegra?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:58:26 -0400, Jason Spaceman
wrote:

Is it possible to change the chainrings without having to take the
crank arm off?

Try it - you'll see.

Get yourself a good repair book or use the Park Tools website and try
some stuff.

JT

Old October 22nd 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Shimano, Campagnolo & SRAM all seem to regard high-end triples as the
******* stepchild of cycling. They're thinking that compact cranks solve
everything. Such is not the case; some people simply need lower gears,
and others don't enjoy the way a compact crank will toss the chain when
shifting from the outside to inside chainring when you're in one of the
larger rear cogs.

That's true of Sram, since they have no triple and have no left lever
that can shift one but shimano does well with triples at all levels
for 2009 and Campagnolo, altho getting rid of most,. will still have a
Centaur level subgroup triple setup.

Somewhere along the line they decided it made more sense to design high
end product that's most suitable for the few who actually race, rather
than those who can actually afford it. We have a great number of
customers who really like their triples and put on a whole lot of miles.
Should I hold it against them that they find it easier to climb in lower
gears than I? (The guys I ride with give me a bad enough time for the
34/27 on my bike as it is... although my biggest faux pas is apparently
my fairly-large seat bag).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in ...
On Oct 20, 9:32 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message

.. .

After a few years of wear I'm thinking of replacing the cassette,
chainrings, and chain on my 2004 Trek 5200. It currently has an
Ultegra crank, rings, derailleur, and cassette (9-speed); all stock
components that came with the bike.

Is it possible to put 9-speed Dura-Ace rings and cassettes on an
otherwise Ultegra drivetrain?

Jason

No compatibility issues between any of the 9-speed Shimano groups. Mix
&
match as you please!

Oh, er, almost. The 9-speed DuraAce triple was a disaster, so don't
"upgrade" from an Ultegra triple to DuraAce. No issues with the double
equipment though.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Interesting that 7803, not much better than 7703, will continue for
2009.

Old October 22nd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Is it possible to put 9-speed Dura-Ace rings and cassettes on an
otherwise Ultegra drivetrain?

No. Mixing parts among Shimano gruppos risks uncontrollable
combustion and possible release of toxic radioactive isotopes.

So don't inhale. What's the big deal?

Old October 23rd 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_2_]

On Oct 20, 8:32*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message

After a few years of wear I'm thinking of replacing the cassette,
chainrings, and chain on my 2004 Trek 5200. *It currently has an
Ultegra crank, rings, derailleur, and cassette (9-speed); all stock
components that came with the bike.

Is it possible to put 9-speed Dura-Ace rings and cassettes on an
otherwise Ultegra drivetrain?

Jason

No compatibility issues between any of the 9-speed Shimano groups. Mix &
match as you please!

Oh, er, almost. The 9-speed DuraAce triple was a disaster, so don't
"upgrade" from an Ultegra triple to DuraAce. No issues with the double
equipment though.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hmmm. My Klein has Ultegra Triple and it's OK (drops chain biggest
complaint); Trek has DuraAce Triple and it's much better (trim
function actually works). Granted, right brifter crapped out, but it
was under warranty and was replaced.

Was the OP asking if you can put DA rings on an Ultegra crank?
(Assume answer is yes?)
Old October 23rd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com wrote, in
part:

....others don't enjoy the way a compact crank will toss the chain when
shifting from the outside to inside chainring when you're in one of the
larger rear cogs.

Ummmm.... not my two Campy rigs, nor my Frankenbike, with FSA Energy
compact, Campy 10 shifters, LX 8s long cage rear der, 8s cassette....

Do you know a good LBS who can properly adjust that for you?

D'ohBoy

Dura Ace vs. Ultegra STI Churchill Techniques 72 July 16th 04 05:24 PM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke Racing 18 April 10th 04 12:43 AM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM
Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace? Emily Techniques 41 November 26th 03 02:29 PM