Cars will be towed away ahead of cycle race.

Old July 12th 11, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Default Cars will be towed away ahead of cycle race.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 12/07/2011 19:57, Ian Smith wrote:

What cretin thinks you can close a town centre one-way system and
block the A-roads through the town, and the effects will only be
felt within 100m of the closure?

Shutting Brooklands Road & Parvis Road wont cause many problems
will it? It looks like they have drawn a line from Hampton Court
Bridge to west Byfleet & you are not allowed to cross, I wonder how
you are supposed to get to Weybridge Station?

There will apparently be crossing points, which will be open at some
times during the closures, but as far as I know the location and
opening times of the crossing points is not even being advised to
those people who do live within 100m. They will be signed on the day,
apparently.

I say apparently, because all this is rumour - because the council
cretins haven't said anything to anyone more than 100m from the
course.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 12th 11, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On Jul 12, 9:58*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
On 12/07/2011 19:57, Ian Smith wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:56:08 -0700 (PDT), Simon
*wrote:
* Measures to prevent cars blocking the cyclists' way next month.

* "CARS parked in roads involved in the imminent London-Surrey Cycle
* Classic Olympic warm up race in August will be towed away."

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20...ned_ahead_of_2....

Did you spot the bit about how the total of the information being
sent to residents is that they will write to those who have a
house within 100m of the route.

So in my town, they are closing the main route through the town,
closing the central one-way system, and they think that notifying
people who happen to live within 100m will be sufficient.

There is no signage up, no public notices, no publicity unless you
live within 100m My town will effectively be shut down because the
centre and probably all through routes will be blocked, but there
will has been no official notice - I'm supposed to guess or deduce such
things as the duration of the closure, whether I'll be able to get my
daughters to their swimming lesson, whether I need to cancel my
parents who were planning to visit that weekend and so on from
sketchy reports in the local paper.

I don't object to a road closure for a big sporting event.

I do object to a road closure when they won't even officially
notify the people affected of the location or duration.

What cretin thinks you can close a town centre one-way system and
block the A-roads through the town, and the effects will only be felt
within 100m of the closure?

regards, * Ian SMith

Shutting Brooklands Road & Parvis Road wont cause many problems will
it? It looks like they have drawn a line from Hampton Court Bridge to
west Byfleet & you are not allowed to cross, I wonder how you are
supposed to get to Weybridge Station?

Sounds like a good day out with the bull bars.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-twi...1kg-pack/12788
Old July 12th 11, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On Jul 12, 10:43*pm, Ian Smith wrote:
[...]

* |/ \|

I wonder what the Brooklands Museum & the Brooklands shops think of it
Old July 12th 11, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 12/07/2011 22:53, Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Tony wrote:
[...]

Haven't they heard of the internet - easy nowadays to complete traffic plans
and then just publish them.

The whole route is on there
http://residents-association.com/pdf...rary-order.pdf

Includes the Boxhill Zig Zag & some interesting roads near Shere

Old July 12th 11, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20...mpics_wa rmup

Did you spot the bit about how the total of the information being
sent to residents is that they will write to those who have a
house within 100m of the route.

So in my town, they are closing the main route through the town,
closing the central one-way system, and they think that notifying
people who happen to live within 100m will be sufficient.

I live 200 miles away and I have heard about it.

OK then, you tell me which roads will be closed at what time.

I don't need that depth of info, I know enough to stay away from the route
for the day.

Easy enough if you don't live near it.
Old July 12th 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar[_3_]

On 12/07/2011 19:57, Ian Smith wrote:

What cretin thinks you can close a town centre one-way system and
block the A-roads through the town, and the effects will only be felt
within 100m of the closure?

Dunno but I'm sure the car-haters will be jumping up and down with
sadistic glee at the prospect of the unnecessary chaos that will be
caused to all those nasty, selfish drivers.
Old July 13th 11, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Ian Smith wrote:
I say apparently, because all this is rumour - because the council
cretins haven't said anything to anyone more than 100m from the
course.

Haven't they heard of the internet - easy nowadays to complete traffic
plans and then just publish them.

The whole route is on there
http://residents-association.com/pdf...rary-order.pdf

Includes the Boxhill Zig Zag & some interesting roads near Shere

There you go, Ian - problem solved. A map would've been nice for
general viewing.

That traffic order is for three days closure of the whole route, and
it says they probably only close it for a lesser time period. It's a
slight improvement in the detail information, but what it says is at
odds with any other information that's been trickled out, and it still
doesn't say when the roads will actually be closed.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 13th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

*wrote:
[...]

http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-twi...x-30mm-1kg-pac...

You pair of lightweight amateurs!

http://www.instructables.com/image/F...t-Caltrops.jpg
Old July 13th 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 12, 10:43*pm, Ian Smith wrote:

There will apparently be crossing points, which will be open at some
times during the closures, but as far as I know the location and
opening times of the crossing points is not even being advised to
those people who do live within 100m. *They will be signed on the day,
apparently.

It's a good job the Pope is not visiting.
When I was on holiday - the roads were barriered off and there were
*no* crossing points at all.

--
Simon Mason
Old July 13th 11, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Measures to prevent cars blocking the cyclists' way next month.

"CARS parked in roads involved in the imminent London-Surrey Cycle
Classic Olympic warm up race in August will be towed away."

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20...mpics_wa rmup

--
Simon Mason

If you live in the great ******** of the south then yer just have to eat a
bit more **** on your stale bread.
I know you don't live there Simon. Okay?

cars blocking cycle lanes Bod[_2_] UK 12 May 27th 09 06:07 PM
36er towed away-footage! MuniAddict Unicycling 15 January 14th 09 01:26 AM
Drafting cars in a race? caffetrieste Racing 1 September 8th 08 05:23 PM
Primary School - no cars, they walk or cycle Geoff Lane UK 33 September 23rd 07 10:29 PM
How many cars do you need for a bike race? Simon Brooke UK 2 April 16th 06 10:25 PM