Times columnist ducks a Parris wire

Old February 3rd 08, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Gerhard

Default Times columnist ducks a Parris wire

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3278710.ece

I have a small electronic milometer on my bicycle which, among other fascinating statistics (maximum speed, average speed, current speed), records the distance covered to two decimal places. Thus ten and two thirds of a mile shows up as 10.66, just shy of 16 and a half miles is 16.49, and so on. It will be seen immediately that although those figures represent mileage, they can also be read as dates, very famous dates in the case of the two examples.

Using this insight, I have developed a game combining my twin interests of cycling and general knowledge. The game is to think, as you pedal along, of something significant that happened on that date in the moment that your milometer registers it. Beautiful in its simplicity, no?

You haven't got long. One one-hundredth of a mile is 17.6 yards, or not much over 50 feet. In the time it takes to cover that distance, 14.15 (battle of Agincourt), say, to 14.16 (nothing immediately springs to mind) you've got to come up with a birth, a death, a treaty, a publication, an invention, an edict, an horrific brutal blood-soaked racist massacre, something, anything, of at least a modicum of historical importance. And then on to the next one. And the next, and the next, all the while, of course, keeping a watchful eye out for Matthew “Piano Wire” Parris, whose house I pass, ducking low, on the way to work. Not easy.

It continues. I wonder if he really passes Matthew "Piano Wire" Parris'
house.

--chris
Old February 3rd 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:12:25 +0000
Chris Gerhard wrote:

Using this insight, I have developed a game combining my twin
interests of cycling and general knowledge. The game is to think,
as you pedal along, of something significant that happened on that
date in the moment that your milometer registers it. Beautiful in
its simplicity, no?

Hehe.

Takes me back to my later school and undergrad days, when for five
years I did a summer job of unskilled factory work to earn a few quid.
A lot of that involved large-scale repetition of a simple task,
often with a counter on a machine being used. So I'd play mind games
like that with the numbers as they passed.

--
not me guv
Old February 3rd 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Chris Gerhard" wrote in message

[...]

He's probably the one who threw the bags of rubbish into the hedges! Must
have taken him months, and cost a fortune in fizzy drinks and chocolate.

Old February 4th 08, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In message
Chris Gerhard wrote:

The game is to think, as you pedal along, of something significant
that happened on that date in the moment that your milometer registers
it. Beautiful in its simplicity, no?

Err, but what happens to your frequent glances over your shoulder tp
make eye contact with the driver behind? If I tried this game I'd
loose cadence , find a twig or pothole, and generally get so
distracted.

Suppose I played it while I was driving? Scarey.

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
Old February 4th 08, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

wrote in message

Err, but what happens to your frequent glances over your shoulder tp
make eye contact with the driver behind? If I tried this game I'd
loose cadence , find a twig or pothole, and generally get so
distracted.

I used to have a computer, but quickly took it off for that very reason.
Actually the problem was compounded by it having way too many screens and
fiddly buttons.

Jc

Old February 4th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 4 Feb, 06:33, wrote:

Err, but what happens to your frequent glances over your shoulder tp
make eye contact with the *driver behind? *If I tried this game I'd
loose cadence , find a twig or pothole, and generally get so
distracted.

Suppose I played it while I was driving? Scarey.

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
LCC; CTC.

My first ride around the block after fitting my new cycle computer to
my Raleigh Mustang, at the age of about 12, ended with me lying on the
roof of the parked car I rode straight into while staring at the
little numbers clicking round. )
Old February 5th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Sales

Default Cycle computers (was re Times columnist ducks a Parris wire)

charlesA wrote

I'd love an audible notification if my speed dropped below average.

You get something like that on some Mercedes cars.

Probably the battery drain would be too great.

My God no! I find that the little flashing pace arrow on mine taunts me
into making my legs hurt.

Mike Sales

Old February 6th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 4 Feb, 23:21, wrote:

I'd love an audible notification if my speed dropped below average.

You get something like that on some Mercedes cars.

And I think most BMWs send an electric current through the driver's
seat if the speed drops below 90mph...