Which frames have italian thread bottom brackets?

Old April 15th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chemnitz

Default Which frames have italian thread bottom brackets?

I want to build a relatively inexpensive road bike and have an Italian
bb. I know that Colnago's have this threading but do any others, as
well? Do some other Italian frames or is it mostly the older ones?
Thanks for any information you might be able to give.
Old April 15th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 15, 9:29*am, Chemnitz wrote:
I want to build a relatively inexpensive road bike and have an Italian
bb. I know that Colnago's have this threading but do any others, as
well? Do some other Italian frames or is it mostly the older ones?
Thanks for any information you might be able to give.

Hi there.

My old Cinelli (1980's) frame has an Italian bottom bracket.

Cheers from Peter
Old April 15th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 15, 8:29*am, Chemnitz wrote:
I want to build a relatively inexpensive road bike and have an Italian
bb. I know that Colnago's have this threading but do any others, as
well? Do some other Italian frames or is it mostly the older ones?
Thanks for any information you might be able to give.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=J1076

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=J00001

Pro Bike Kits team bikes have Italian bottom brackets. Why, I don't
know since every intelligent company in the world has settled on the
standard of British threading.
Old April 15th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Chemnitz schreef:
I want to build a relatively inexpensive road bike and have an Italian
bb. I know that Colnago's have this threading but do any others, as
well? Do some other Italian frames or is it mostly the older ones?
Thanks for any information you might be able to give.

That is funny. Building a bike and start with the BB. ;-)

Lou
Old April 15th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 15, 12:21*pm, Still Just Me
wrote:
On 15 Apr 2009 18:02:30 GMT, wrote:

Ultimately, I see only that solution for BB attachment with a
precision spindle and bearing assembly just as the threadless steer
tube has solved the head bearing/bar attachment problem.

What problem was that?

The one that was solved with current outboad bearing, two piece
cranks. Except that now we have fretting against the spindle by the
bearing cartridge -- except in the Campagnolo design (and maybe
others; I haven't done a market survey). -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 15th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 15, 11:35*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
Chemnitz schreef:

I want to build a relatively inexpensive road bike and have an Italian
bb. I know that Colnago's have this threading but do any others, as
well? Do some other Italian frames or is it mostly the older ones?
Thanks for any information you might be able to give.

That is funny. Building a bike and start with the BB. ;-)

Lou

Thank God it wasn't a French BB. He'd have to go shopping around for
old PX10s. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 16th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Still Just Me wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:26:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Pro Bike Kits team bikes have Italian bottom brackets. Why, I don't
know since every intelligent company in the world has settled on the
standard of British threading.

26tpi?

or Chater Lea? Which standard?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 16th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 15, 2:39*pm, wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
Ultimately, I see only that solution for BB attachment with a
precision spindle and bearing assembly just as the threadless
steer tube has solved the head bearing/bar attachment problem.
What problem was that?

The one that was solved with current outboard bearing, two piece
cranks. *Except that now we have fretting against the spindle by the
bearing cartridge -- except in the Campagnolo design (and maybe
others; I haven't done a market survey).

Outboard bearings are not directed at the problem of radially loaded
fretting threads but rather to accommodate a larger tubular spindle
for crank attachment while retaining reasonable bearing ball size, for
which there is no space inside the BB shell. *To make up for that, the
overhung bearing besides having rotating radial loaded threads, has
overhung loads, worsening thread fretting.

Both Shimano and Campagnolo are grasping at straws to solve difficult
BB problems. *I think their crank attachment schemes are an
improvement but the Shimano solution is a tried and a true solution
gleaned from prior art. *To make up for that, the overhung bearing
worsens the Bearing to BB shell attachment.

Jobst Brandt

I thought you were just talking about the crank attachment which was
"fixed" with the Shimano pinch bolt approach.

And to be honest, I did not know there was a problem with BB thread
fretting or obliteration. I have never had that problem, at least in
terms of seeing thread degredation, not even in my aluminum BB bikes.
I currently have one bike with an outboard BB, and it seems to make a
lot more noise that prior BBs, even with grease or Teflon on the
threads. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 16th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 15, 9:02*pm, Still Just Me
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:19:19 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie

wrote:
Ultimately, I see only that solution for BB attachment with a
precision spindle and bearing assembly just as the threadless steer
tube has solved the head bearing/bar attachment problem.

What problem was that?

The one that was solved with current outboad bearing, two piece
cranks. Except that now we have fretting against the spindle by the
bearing cartridge -- except in the Campagnolo design (and maybe
others; I haven't done a market survey). -- Jay Beattie.

My question wasn't clear: What is the problem cited in "threadless
steer tube has solved the head bearing/bar attachment problem."

Mr. Brandt was talking about the quill stems getting stuck in the
steel threaded steerer tubes when using threaded headsets. Threadless
headsets have eliminated the stem getting stuck in the fork steerer.

My headsets seem to last just about forever.

Old April 16th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 16, 8:10*am, wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

You must have wondered why BB's have left hand threaded right bearing
cups. *As I said, wherever you see left hand thread fastenings, you
are looking at faulty design. *At least the ancients that specified
the left hand thread recognized the loosening problem and invoked the
left hand thread dodge, not having a clear understanding of the
mechanics of radial load bearing threads.

Even if the threads do not unscrew, they fret and cause failures as
right pedals in aluminum cranks do. *I haven't seen steel cranks fail,
but they show rouge and fretting damage on contact faces with chrome
plating worn off and a countersink formed under pedal spindle faces.

Have you seen bottom bracket shell threads degrade due to fretting? --
Jay Beattie.

Bottom brackets, etc. HDGuzzi Techniques 7 April 29th 08 09:25 PM
Bottom brackets Finlay Mackay UK 8 August 11th 07 06:14 PM
What's With Bottom Brackets? [email protected] Techniques 8 June 22nd 06 09:07 PM
FS: Dura-Ace Square Tapered Italian Thread Bottom Bracket Paul Hobson Marketplace 0 February 8th 06 05:56 AM
WTT: Shimano 105 Splined BB English thread for Italian thread Darrell Marketplace 0 February 21st 05 06:01 PM