Trek 8000 vs Gary Fisher BigSur

Old April 26th 04, 01:17 PM
Bjarte K. Engedal

Default Trek 8000 vs Gary Fisher BigSur

Hi,

About to buy a new bike:-)
I have been thinking about Trek 8000, seems like a nice one.
However the dealer told me that GF BigSur is the same bike, but at a lover
price. The price difference here in Norway is about $300

From the specs I can see that most parts are identical, but there are a few
differences.
The frame material is the same, but what about the geometry?

The bike will be used mainly on gravel roads and asfalt (???) roads.

Any opinions about what will be the bike for me?
Or clarifications about the (maybe not so) subtle differences will be
greatly appreciated.

-Bjarte

Old April 26th 04, 02:15 PM
Jamie TrailBlazer At Large

Both these bike's are about the same .The GF will have a little longer top
tube and a shorter stem . It got Genesis Geometry .If the parts are about
the same save the 300$ and go GF .But try them both and see what one is more
comfortable to you .If your not trail riding you could put some slick on the
bike to make it more road friendly.
Kenda make a nice tire for riding on the road .I have a set for my Mtn
bike.There the Kenda Kwicks {??}
Good luck and remember buy what fits you .

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large

Old April 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Penny S

Jamie TrailBlazer At Large wrote:
Both these bike's are about the same .The GF will have a little
longer top tube and a shorter stem . It got Genesis Geometry .If the
parts are about the same save the 300$ and go GF .But try them both
and see what one is more comfortable to you .If your not trail riding
you could put some slick on the bike to make it more road friendly.
Kenda make a nice tire for riding on the road .I have a set for my Mtn
bike.There the Kenda Kwicks {??}
Good luck and remember buy what fits you .

you should probably read the thread on Bontranger cranks before you
purchase.

penny

Old April 26th 04, 04:37 PM
Super Slinky

Bjarte K. Engedal said...
Hi,

About to buy a new bike:-)
I have been thinking about Trek 8000, seems like a nice one.
However the dealer told me that GF BigSur is the same bike, but at a lover
price. The price difference here in Norway is about $300

From the specs I can see that most parts are identical, but there are a few
differences.
The frame material is the same, but what about the geometry?

The bike will be used mainly on gravel roads and asfalt (???) roads.

Any opinions about what will be the bike for me?
Or clarifications about the (maybe not so) subtle differences will be
greatly appreciated.

-Bjarte

Get a Giant XTC 2 instead and Michelin Jet S tires that work for any
terrain.
Old April 26th 04, 04:49 PM
mojo deluxe

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
Bjarte K. Engedal said...
Hi,

About to buy a new bike:-)
I have been thinking about Trek 8000, seems like a nice one.
However the dealer told me that GF BigSur is the same bike, but at a

lover
price. The price difference here in Norway is about $300

From the specs I can see that most parts are identical, but there are a

few
differences.
The frame material is the same, but what about the geometry?

The bike will be used mainly on gravel roads and asfalt (???) roads.

Any opinions about what will be the bike for me?
Or clarifications about the (maybe not so) subtle differences will be
greatly appreciated.

-Bjarte

Get a Giant XTC 2 instead and Michelin Jet S tires that work for any
terrain.

For Sale: Two Michelin Jet S tub(e)less tYres. Used for less than a mile.
Green in coloUr. Great on assfault, and hardpack dert.

Old April 26th 04, 07:50 PM
JD

"Bjarte K. Engedal" wrote in message ...
Hi,

About to buy a new bike:-)
I have been thinking about Trek 8000, seems like a nice one.
However the dealer told me that GF BigSur is the same bike, but at a lover
price. The price difference here in Norway is about $300

From the specs I can see that most parts are identical, but there are a few
differences.
The frame material is the same, but what about the geometry?

The bike will be used mainly on gravel roads and asfalt (???) roads.

Any opinions about what will be the bike for me?
Or clarifications about the (maybe not so) subtle differences will be
greatly appreciated.

-Bjarte

They're both treks, so there's really no difference, except that one
has narcissism plastered all over it.

JD
Old April 26th 04, 07:56 PM
Super Slinky

mojo deluxe said...

For Sale: Two Michelin Jet S tub(e)less tYres. Used for less than a mile.
Green in coloUr. Great on assfault, and hardpack dert.

How much do you want for them? What don't you like about them.
Old May 1st 04, 03:43 PM
mojo deluxe

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
t...
mojo deluxe said...

For Sale: Two Michelin Jet S tub(e)less tYres. Used for less than a

mile.
Green in coloUr. Great on assfault, and hardpack dert.

How much do you want for them? What don't you like about them.

Heh, I was kind of joking......even lost this thread.

I only paid $31 for them on ebay. It's not that I don't like them, but would
not feel comfortable using them. Loamy soil and semis, are not good. There's
also clay where I ride, and if it has the slightest moisture in it, I'm just
asking for it. I replaced them with 2.1 IRC Seracs.

Advice on "Comfort Bikes" (Gary Fisher Capitola vs. Giant Sedona) Dave DesRoches General 21 July 23rd 04 06:42 AM
Trek & Gary Fisher bikes = USA made [email protected] General 10 March 16th 04 10:55 PM
Gary Fisher jack Mountain Biking 2 September 13th 03 07:26 AM
Specialized Hardrock vs Gary Fisher Wahoo Mark Webb Mountain Biking 7 August 31st 03 12:59 PM
HYBRIDS: Gary Fisher / Trek / Cannondale - Your Opinions Please RJRider General 1 July 29th 03 10:33 AM