It scared me sensless!

Old April 30th 04, 10:03 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Default It scared me sensless!

Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at about 15
mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute bike, snapped
in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd just
turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash without too
much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a few moments before,
I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy traffic, I was thoroughly
shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours to stop shaking.

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...

Be careful out there folks.

Shaun aRe

Old April 30th 04, 11:23 AM
Michael Dart

In ,
Shaun Rimmer typed:
Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at
about 15 mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute
bike, snapped in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd
just turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash
without too much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a
few moments before, I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy
traffic, I was thoroughly shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours
to stop shaking.

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...

Be careful out there folks.

Shaun aRe

It's all in the timing. Glad to hear you're ok.

Mike

Old April 30th 04, 12:09 PM
Stephen Baker

Shaun R says:

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...

It's just getting too dangerous to go out these days, isn't it? OTOH, they do
reckon most fatal accidents happen at home...

Glad to hear you survived. Stay safe.

Steve
Old April 30th 04, 12:54 PM
Shaun Rimmer

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
In ,
Shaun Rimmer typed:
Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at
about 15 mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute
bike, snapped in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd
just turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash
without too much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a
few moments before, I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy
traffic, I was thoroughly shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours
to stop shaking.

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...

Be careful out there folks.

Shaun aRe

It's all in the timing. Glad to hear you're ok.

Cheers Mike, me too!

I'm still a bit of a nervous wreck today - too many close calls. Hell, one
is too many. This one caught me totally off-guard.

Shaun aRe

Old April 30th 04, 12:56 PM
Shaun Rimmer

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Shaun R says:

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...

It's just getting too dangerous to go out these days, isn't it?

Feels that way sometimes.

OTOH, they do
reckon most fatal accidents happen at home...

They were just clever crimes ',;~}~

Glad to hear you survived. Stay safe.

Steve

Cheers, you too old fella! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old April 30th 04, 01:32 PM
spademan o---[\) *

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at about 15
mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute bike, snapped
in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd just
turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash without too
much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a few moments before,
I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy traffic, I was thoroughly
shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours to stop shaking.

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...
Be careful out there folks.

Shaun aRe

Glad you're okay Shaunie, but how the hell did you manage to snap a steel
steerer riding on the road? Must've been the leverage you get with those
extra wide bars..

So you abe to patch it all back together again?

Steve.

Old April 30th 04, 01:51 PM
Mark Hickey

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote:

Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at about 15
mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute bike, snapped
in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer.

How did it break? Was the expander wedge of the stem in the threaded
section of the steer tube?

Glad to hear you're OK. Well, as OK as you were before... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 30th 04, 02:26 PM
mojo deluxe

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at about 15
mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute bike, snapped
in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd just
turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash without too
much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a few moments before,
I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy traffic, I was thoroughly
shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours to stop shaking.

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...

Glad to hear you came out of it ok, dude!

Be careful out there folks.

I'm suffering from carbonphobia, a rare mental disorder brought on by using
carbon bars on my bike.

Old April 30th 04, 02:29 PM
Doki

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at
about 15 mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute
bike, snapped in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd
just turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash
without too much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a
few moments before, I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy
traffic, I was thoroughly shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours
to stop shaking.

Bloody hell. You must have a lot of adrenaline in you somewhere to keep
shaking for 2 hours .

Old April 30th 04, 03:34 PM
Shaun Rimmer

"spademan o---[) *" wrote in message

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Yesterday, riding home from work, near the end of my journey, at about

15
mph, the steel threaded steerer on the Frankenbeater commute bike,

snapped
in two, leaving me unable to brake or steer. ****!

Luckily, I was no longer on the road (by about 3 or 4 minutes), I'd just
turned onto a bit of wasteland dirt. I managed to bail/crash without too
much injury, but with the thought in mind, that only a few moments

before,
I'd been braking hard for a junction, in heavy traffic, I was thoroughly
shaken. In fact, it took me about 2 hours to stop shaking.

Hells, glad I'm here today to post this, is all I can say...
Be careful out there folks.

Shaun aRe

Glad you're okay Shaunie,

Cheers mate.

but how the hell did you manage to snap a steel
steerer riding on the road?

Fook nose mate, but this is exactly what happened to the original fork. This
was a cheap arsed piece though.

Must've been the leverage you get with those
extra wide bars..

nah, just my powerful upper body.

So you abe to patch it all back together again?

Might struggle! Dunno if you remember, but I posted here when I was looking
to build that frame up before - I'd been all over, and couldn't find a steel
1" threaded fork anywhere with a long enough steerer. Looked for ages too.
Got this one off an old thing Kath had kicking around.

Gotta try though, I love that frame - first MTB I ever owned, too.

I borrowed bro' in laws Trek 4500 for the time being (faster on the road
than the BASE).

Shaun aRe