Got a (new-sort-of) bike.

Old October 2nd 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

Default Got a (new-sort-of) bike.

prevailing on the good nature of uk.r.c,.... I have aquired a Bicycle.
(thats two I have now.....)

Cost: £0

State: Complete, almost.

"Eddie Merxx". 10 speed.

Cons: No saddle.

Pros: Otherwise appears complete

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local dump to see
if they have one there.....)

Old October 2nd 09, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim

Ian wrote:

prevailing on the good nature of uk.r.c,.... I have aquired

a Bicycle.
(thats two I have now.....)

Cost: �0

State: Complete, almost.

legend
"Eddie Merxx". 10 speed.

Cons: No saddle.

Pros: Otherwise appears complete

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so,

any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local

dump to see
if they have one there.....)

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but can you not take the
saddle off your existing bike, put it on the Eddie Merxx, ride
it, and if you like it think about getting a 2nd saddle then?

Old October 2nd 09, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:21:08 +0100, "Ian" wrote:

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local dump to see
if they have one there.....)

There were some pretty good bikes with Eddy Merckx badges. Whether
this is one of them I wouldn't like to guess. You will need:

* A camera
* A kitchen
* A pot of Marmite

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc
Old October 2nd 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer[_2_]

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:21:08 +0100
"Ian" wrote:

"Eddie Merxx". 10 speed.

If that's "Eddie MerCKx", you're onto a winner. If it's "MerXx", I'd
take a hard look at the quality of the components.

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any
particular sort?

If it's a real Merckx then consider finding a cheapish one now, then
haunt the cyclejumbles for a period one. A nearby friend has a
10-speed Merckx and I can check what make of saddle it has for you if
you like.

Mike
--
Mike Causer
Old October 2nd 09, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:21:08 +0100, "Ian" wrote:

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local dump to
see
if they have one there.....)

There were some pretty good bikes with Eddy Merckx badges. Whether
this is one of them I wouldn't like to guess. You will need:

* A camera
* A kitchen
* A pot of Marmite

I will see what I can do. But not till Monday, when Erindoors is out.

Watch this space.......

Old October 2nd 09, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Jim" wrote in message
Ian wrote:

prevailing on the good nature of uk.r.c,.... I have aquired

a Bicycle.
(thats two I have now.....)

Cost: ?0

State: Complete, almost.

legend
"Eddie Merxx". 10 speed.

Cons: No saddle.

Pros: Otherwise appears complete

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so,

any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local

dump to see
if they have one there.....)

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but can you not take the
saddle off your existing bike, put it on the Eddie Merxx, ride
it, and if you like it think about getting a 2nd saddle then?

Waiting for a Round Tuit. )

Old October 2nd 09, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer[_2_]

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:30:23 +0100
Jim wrote:

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but can you not take the
saddle off your existing bike, put it on the Eddie Merxx,

Because then Ian would be denied the choice of bike to ride for the day,
or first trip if returning homme during the day. Now I'm down to four
the choice is easier, but it was quite a two-cup-of-coffee problem some
days when there six earlier this year. Some days the weather forecast
makes the choice simple. Or if it's going to be locked up for hours in
the cycle-theft capital of England, it's the one I would least regret
losing. (I swapped the one I didn't care about for a laptop computer
recently, so now I'd regret losing any of them.)

Mike
--
Mike Causer
Old October 4th 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Ian" wrote in message
prevailing on the good nature of uk.r.c,.... I have aquired a Bicycle.
(thats two I have now.....)

Cost: £0

State: Complete, almost.

Merxx". 10 speed.

Cons: No saddle.

Pros: Otherwise appears complete

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any particular
sort? (Currently considering a visit to local dump to see if they have
one there.....)

A cheap one, or one from the LBS! Saddles are saddles, but what suits really
depends on two things - your arse, and the bike it's going on. As an
example, I once got a saddle from the LBS that was more or less identical to
the one I currently have on my road bike, but this was for use on my
mountain bike. On the MTB, it was crippling, and the LBS swapped it. The
same style of saddle on my road bike is very comfortable...

Old October 5th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:21:08 +0100, "Ian" wrote:

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local dump to see
if they have one there.....)

There were some pretty good bikes with Eddy Merckx badges. Whether
this is one of them I wouldn't like to guess.

Indeed. There was a load of rubbish
with Eddy Merckx badges too.

BugBear
Old October 5th 09, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:21:08 +0100, "Ian" wrote:

Advice requested: Is it worth purchasing a saddle - if so, any
particular sort? (Currently considering a visit to local dump to
see
if they have one there.....)

There were some pretty good bikes with Eddy Merckx badges. Whether
this is one of them I wouldn't like to guess. You will need:

* A camera
* A kitchen
* A pot of Marmite

Ok, here goes.... )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982818507/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582152/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582292/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982818781/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819035/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582418/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982818925/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982818987/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582680/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582722/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819223/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819263/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582906/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983582982/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819503/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819567/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983583188/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819695/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983583302/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819803/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3983583416/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982819959/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/3982820115/

As can be seen, it needs some TLC.
Would it be a good idea to strip, clean and repaint it?
Saddle?
What parts are (obviously) not original?
Is it worth changing those parts?

Any other advice welcome.... Thanks.