Cancellara's battery

Old February 15th 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

Default Cancellara's battery

Joe Riel wrote:

Electrolytic capacitors do. That is the most common type of large
capacitor. They are polarized. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Of course. I've asked the question (battery or capacitor) on
the sci.chem.electrochem.battery group. If any of the old guard
still read it, we should get a definitive answer soon.

John
Old February 17th 12, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On 14 Feb 2012 19:42:45 GMT, John Henderson
wrote:

It's no wonder they couldn't find an AA cell or two hidden in his
bicycle frame. It's now obvious he was using a prototype
structural battery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

John

It's not really a battery, even though it's being promoted by battery
manufacturers. It's a (super) capacitor.

I take your point. Yet, while it is not a battery
of electro-chemical cells, the short name "battery"
is well extended to a battery of capacitors;
particularly when the general public is involved.
My wris****ch battery is a capacitor charged by
a solar cell running on ambient light.
"Battery" also names a battery of field guns
or fixed guns.

--
Michael Press
Old February 18th 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:36:41 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

wrote:

It's no wonder they couldn't find an AA cell or two hidden in his
bicycle frame. It's now obvious he was using a prototype
structural battery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

John

It's not really a battery, even though it's being promoted by battery
manufacturers. It's a (super) capacitor.

I take your point. Yet, while it is not a battery
of electro-chemical cells, the short name "battery"
is well extended to a battery of capacitors;
particularly when the general public is involved.
My wris****ch battery is a capacitor charged by
a solar cell running on ambient light.
"Battery" also names a battery of field guns
or fixed guns.

Would you prefer we call a storage battery a "voltaic pile" which was
the original term used by Volta?

I call my collection of web pages, a "web pile".

It's not a capacitor. It's a "cazapitor" which goes "zap" when
shorted.

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/05/08/what-is-the-difference-between-a-battery-and-a-capacitor/

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old February 19th 12, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

add fooolup

you lyden ?

Old February 19th 12, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

I wrote:

Of course. I've asked the question (battery or capacitor) on
the sci.chem.electrochem.battery group. If any of the old guard
still read it, we should get a definitive answer soon.

No response there, but further research indicates that structural
batteries and carbon composite electrochemical supercapacitors
are different things.

The batteries clearly involve oxidation and reduction at their
electrodes, whereas the capacitors "operate by storing electrical
charge along the double layer interface at each electrode".

See: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA504347

John

did you say battery ? kolldata Techniques 8 November 20th 11 12:41 AM
NEW BATTERY datakoll Techniques 4 February 28th 10 08:25 PM
Great Vid of Cancellara's Descending Paul B. Anders Racing 9 July 22nd 09 08:18 AM
Cancellara's sprint win...a little too convenient and easy? [email protected] Racing 63 July 16th 07 03:40 AM
ni-mh battery lloydie Mountain Biking 0 September 23rd 05 04:03 PM